U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 10:17 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,594,155 times

Advertisements

Listen, people can, and should, be able to live where they want to. BUT, when they ask people who are living in the area they are thinking about moving to......they SHOULD BE TOLD THE TRUTH. It is as simple as that. We started taking video and photos of scenery, events AND the weather here when we moved here in June 2002. In Oct 2002, I have video/photos of an almost "blinding" snowstorm that hit Littleton during the week of Halloween 2002. It was snowing so hard, I could barely see to drive my wife to work. We both thought it was hilarious seeing outside Halloween decor covered in snow......I never had that for the years I lived on a farm in northeaster Indiana and neither did my wife when she live in Detroit. Shoot, during the weekend prior to Halloween, we would go on hayrides and only have a light jacket on. The first Mothers Day weekend we were here (2003) in Englewood, we got 7 inches of snow! Never had snow during Halloween or Mothers Day on the farm or in Detroit! Last winter, we took our Husky to the CC dog park and a snowstorm started while we were in the Park. We could hardly see to take our dog back to our truck! Two years ago, we were at the last day of the National Western Stock Show/Rodeo in Denver. After the rodeo, I went to the restroom, looked out the window and there was a "white-out" snowstorm going on. The Stock Show bus took us to the parking lot off of
58th and we could barely see each other just "trying" to walk to our truck. There was that much blowing snow coming down. Last winter, after I got off of work in downtown Denver, got into the truck to come home, looked up at the temp gauge inside the cab and it read minus 4 degrees at 3:30 PM.
Now these are some weather FACTS of winters we have been thru here. And, we were here for that big blizzard in 2003.
For anyone who wants to move here to the Denver metro area.......be our guest, but just remember what kind of weather you are moving into.
Disagree with us if you want.....we have the photos and video to prove all that we have wrote here. And, yes we have seen some people walking around here during the winter in shorts.....and it was snowing outside. Just how stupid can that be. I like my health to much to do that!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 10:19 AM

210 posts, read 1,257,424 times
It can get very warm during the summer months in Colorado. We have kept a garden for as long as I can remmeber, you do have to be careful at the start and finish of the season with early/late frosts, but otherwise during the summer it's just like gardening anyplace else.
We grow tomatoes, peppers, corn, and grew raspberries for awhile (before the plant died-- unrelated to weather), and also grow a fair number of herbs outside during the summer. Although we personally don't do any greenhouse gardening I know people who do and have good luck with that.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:21 AM
VOZ

6 posts, read 11,761 times
Default Denver

No, I don't mean you Cil or Loveboating. I think in the case of Loveboating, from what I've read, he and his wife unfortunately have some physical problems that make dealing with snow removal more difficult and it appears they want to go somewhere with less snow, which is perfectly understandable. By the way, Loveboating, you tried to PM me but my PC doesn't seem to accept this kind of message, email or post here if you want to ask or tell me something

Manny, the sun here feels warm even when it's very cold. It's a combination of higher altitude, thinner air and low humidity. It can be very cold and cloudy, which isn't very nice but more often than not an unusually cold day, and by that I mean daytime temperatures anywhere from say 0 to 30 degrees, is usually sunny. You feel the sun even if it is 10 degrees. By the way, you'll be suprised how lightly many dress on those cold sunny days. For example, I'll go out to lunch when it's sunny and maybe 15 degrees wearing a winter coat and will feel hot! Now again, it's not Southern CA or Florida 65 degree winter weather. Don't delude yourself but believe me, these low temps are not nearly as bad as you may expect, especially if you've ever been to the midwest and northeast.

Here's an example of what i mean. I've lived in and still regularly visit the Northern VA/DC area on business and personal. The "average" winter temps in Denver and DC roughly match. But the weather "feels" FAR colder in NoVA than Denver probably 90% of the time. It can be noontime and 45 degrees in NoVA/DC and even sunny-which is not typical-and it will feel bonechilling outside. Maybe it's the higher humidity but all I know is when I go out to lunch, I've got my winter coat on, gloves on and I understant why people HATE winter! In Denver, when it's 45 degrees, on weekend days, I'll wear a cotton undershirst, cotton t-shirt and cotton sweatshirt and I can go outside and feel fine.

Now again, Denver weather isn't for everybody. Some people just despise cold and need to live in warmer weather. That's fine. But I suggest many who think they could never live in a cold climate visit Denver. They may just find this is one colder area they find acceptable.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:52 AM
VOZ

6 posts, read 11,761 times
Smile response

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Listen, people can, and should, be able to live where they want to. BUT, when they ask people who are living in the area they are thinking about moving to......they SHOULD BE TOLD THE TRUTH. It is as simple as that. We started taking video and photos of scenery, events AND the weather here when we moved here in June 2002. In Oct 2002, I have video/photos of an almost "blinding" snowstorm that hit Littleton during the week of Halloween 2002. It was snowing so hard, I could barely see to drive my wife to work. We both thought it was hilarious seeing outside Halloween decor covered in snow......I never had that for the years I lived on a farm in northeaster Indiana and neither did my wife when she live in Detroit. Shoot, during the weekend prior to Halloween, we would go on hayrides and only have a light jacket on. The first Mothers Day weekend we were here (2003) in Englewood, we got 7 inches of snow! Never had snow during Halloween or Mothers Day on the farm or in Detroit! Last winter, we took our Husky to the CC dog park and a snowstorm started while we were in the Park. We could hardly see to take our dog back to our truck! Two years ago, we were at the last day of the National Western Stock Show/Rodeo in Denver. After the rodeo, I went to the restroom, looked out the window and there was a "white-out" snowstorm going on. The Stock Show bus took us to the parking lot off of
58th and we could barely see each other just "trying" to walk to our truck. There was that much blowing snow coming down. Last winter, after I got off of work in downtown Denver, got into the truck to come home, looked up at the temp gauge inside the cab and it read minus 4 degrees at 3:30 PM.
Now these are some weather FACTS of winters we have been thru here. And, we were here for that big blizzard in 2003.
For anyone who wants to move here to the Denver metro area.......be our guest, but just remember what kind of weather you are moving into.
Disagree with us if you want.....we have the photos and video to prove all that we have wrote here. And, yes we have seen some people walking around here during the winter in shorts.....and it was snowing outside. Just how stupid can that be. I like my health to much to do that!!!!!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

You're implying we're not honest about our assesment of the weather.

Denver does have snow later & earlier in the season than other areas. It can snow in October and May, sometimes even earlier and later but those are rare. Snow around Halloween time isn't uncommon but do your really want to compare a typical winter in Detroit with Denver? It can snow very ferociously here and it can get quite cold but don't tell me a typical winter day here is like that. I'm not trying to trick anyone, although you seem to want to say I'm not telling the "truth" and I want to deceive people about the weather here. A person would have to be an absolute idiot to move to Colorado and not expect some heavy snowstorms and occasional very cold temperatures. But they are NOT an everyday or even every week occurence. I'm sure you have some exciting videos of the wacky climate we sometimes have but don't try to scare people by implying the average day is 4 below and people here are afraid to go for a walk on a nice day because the weather may change to white-out conditions all of a sudden.

I understand you want to move to a less snowy climate because of some physical problems. I understand and accept that and wish you well. However, it also seems that you and your wife moved to Colorado expecting the weather to be consistently mild with no extremes, like Southern CA.

Nothing personal. I wish you the best in the Carolinas.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:55 AM

THANKS VOZ......you totally understand! Yes, we do (now) have health issues living here, that is the main reason we have to move.
Again.....thanks for understanding.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:02 AM

We aren't trying to say that people here LIE about how the weather is, but, fact is........some people here do say the weather is better than it really is.
If it wasn't for my hip replacement and the HARD fall I had last month (that may require surgery), we would stay here.
Colorado is one BEAUTIFUL STATE in the summer and in the winter. Sun shining on the lake surface or snow glistening on the trees, it is BEAUTIFUL.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:06 AM

431 posts, read 2,559,979 times
Colorado is combination of types just like NM. Mountains, plains, high plains, the western slope is wetter and thus feels cooler in the winter. Eastern sloop is what I know. I am a native, but have always lived on the eastern side of the divide. I know the more southern part of Co. but have lived several places in the Arkansas Valley from Leadville to Pueblo We are called the Banana belt in Canon City area. Our winters are usually milder than Denver or even Co. Springs. Co. has been in a drought for the last 6 yrs and hardly any snow and much too warm. The snowpack in the mts was below average. This winter has been hash and NOT the norm but we needed the snow. This winter has been unusual in even AZ . Places that never get snow have. But when we get snow it is snow. Not ice storms like high humidity areas. Depending upon where you live in Co. it can be so different. The plains, for instance are hotter in the summer and cooler in the winter than where we are nestled up against the mts for protection. ---Gardening, of coarse, we raise tomatoes, peaches, apples, cherries, carrots, watermelon etc, 3 cutting of grass hay and 4 of alfalfa. We don't grow oranges etc but most anything we want. No green house. The only hold back is water. Most places in Co. need irrigation of some type. --

Sorry this is so long but I tried to make those not from here to understand that we do have 4 definite seasons on the norm. But depending on where in Co. weather can very. The only consistent thing is ---semi arid, 4 seasons, and the inconsisty

Old 01-26-2007, 12:22 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,859,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyfromCali View Post

What about gardening? Tomato growing was mentioned. I am an avid gardener.
I would like to grow tomatoes and veggies in the warm period of the year. That is feasible right? Greenhouse gardening also? Gardening experiences would be appreciated. Is there threads in this forum on this topic? Please guide me to it or other Colorado gardening forums if you know any. Thanks.
Manny
I was an avid gardener in Colorado. I'll start with the bad, but end upbeat.
One aspect that could be heartbreaking was the inevitable tree damage from snowstorms.
We lost a redbud and witnessed many, many beautiful mature pines and crab apples either killed or severely damaged due to late spring snows. I'll never forget one April seeing a crabapple in full blossom toppled over from spring snow. It's simply part of Colorado living.
Okay, now for the good stuff:
I never had one, but you can take full advantage of greenhouses there.
We did have a great frenchdoor-facing-south arrangement and I could start seedlings early. Outside those french doors, we had a very protected, sunny patio-courtyard--it was sheltered from high winds, hail, and stayed warm there. In high summer it could be blistering, but it was wonderful 10 months of the year.
We'd be eating outside all the time.
I was big on container gardening: herbs, vegies, you name it. I had great success with tomatoes in containers, just remember to position your plants so that they will receive plenty of sun and protection from winds and hail. This is easier than you might think. And give them plenty of water but not too much to prevent blossom end rot. Because of their location, my plants would continue to bear fruit far into October.
(Check out Gardenweb on the internet--there might be a Colorado section).
Despite the late spring frosts, I began everything *early* and just put it in the garage if faced with snow or frost. I really had it down to a science and would be glad to help you if you need advice.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:58 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,763,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
I'm from Miami Beach and I lived in Boulder in the 90's. My husband and I live in Florida currently (Port St. Lucie) but we're moving to Colorado as soon as our house sells.

I agree with Voz's take on things. It's unrealistic to think there won't be snow, a lot on ocassion, but compared to the northeast and northern midwest the winters are indeed mild. The sun makes a huge difference as does the lack of humidity. These recent blizzards are a fluke. You might get one every winter or every couple of winters but not so much in a short time. When it snows it usually melts away quickly, at least on the roads. There will be snow on the lawns a lot of the time...but that's what it's like in winter. Unless you live in Florida, California or Arizona you'll have some snow. It definitely gets very cold sometimes but you get the right clothes to keep you warm and you get used to it. It's a different lifestyle. I had no problem with the weather, coming from Miami Beach. Winter weather has its pluses and minuses. It's cold and the snow can be a pain to shovel and it's a pain de-icing your car's windshield in the morning (if you don't have a garage) but there's also sledding, skiing, hot chocalate by a roasting fire, white Christmases, the beauty of a white blanket of snow covering everything. It can be beautiful and magical.

That said, some people coming from warm winter climates can adjust, some can't. It depends on the person. I had no problem myself.
Tao, Thank you for posting. We were out in denver in November, and noticed everything is pretty brown, and the lack of trees, not sure if it is like that in the summer. I have heard that in the established areas their are more trees, did it take some getting use to the lack of green trees every where or were you ok with it. I know it sounds silly, but going from lush gree trees in Miami, to prarie land, I am a little worried it may be something I really am going to miss?

Old 01-26-2007, 03:35 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,859,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Tao, Thank you for posting. We were out in denver in November, and noticed everything is pretty brown, and the lack of trees, not sure if it is like that in the summer. I have heard that in the established areas their are more trees, did it take some getting use to the lack of green trees every where or were you ok with it. I know it sounds silly, but going from lush gree trees in Miami, to prarie land, I am a little worried it may be something I really am going to miss?
It's brown all winter. In February, you'll notice (and rejoice!) when you see the first snowdrops and crocuses. Then the daffodils arrive (hopefully not to be smushed by spring snows) and then the tulips and lovely fragrant hyacinths.
In summer, if there are watering restrictions (and there usually are) you have to get creative and methodical about watering.
Some people xeriscape, that is, they plant more native plants and less grass, which require less moisture.
I can't say if you'll miss trees and green. We lived in central Denver, where there were many mature trees and lovely gardens. It was very nice in summer and fall.
The brownness and barrenness of spring/winter was what I was used to.
I am still getting used to the winter green here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or