U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 01:16 PM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times

Advertisements

.... enough digression, send a PM to LoveBoating if you wish, but please, let's get back on track and discuss how California transplants are doing here....

Thanks!
s/Mike from back east
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 02:14 AM

171 posts, read 786,734 times
Default Torn...

Hi Everyone,

CIN "Your post really hit me hard. Only been in FC for 2 weeks." Awe big hugs to you. Try and hang in there. But your words described my fears to the letter. You are me, just doing it first. In my head I know things always work out for the best, so they will for you too. Just remember, I may need those words from you if we should take this leap of faith as well, because the heart doesn't always listen to the head. At least mine doesn't.... read on....

I am getting cold feet too and started to look around here again. Nothing! The costs are outragious and for what you get. What a slap in the face! We cannot get out of our starter home here and gain anything. Our family has grown (we now have three kids) but our lot and sq ft. stay the same. Schools are so crowded and it all makes so much sense on paper to leave. Can someone please tell me how to get brave enough to do so?

VFR thanks for clarifying what I figured you meant regarding the weather comparison. It's hard to beat this weather and location, but I keep hoping the trade offs are worth it. I am just mainly scared of driving in it (snow, ice etc.) and trying to get all the kids off to their schools on time etc. This probably sounds silly, but it is of real concern to me.

And CIL you sent me over the edge with your yearly stats on May and Sept., wow I dont know what to think. Thank you for opening my eyes so clearly. I kind of had to sit here and take it all in. I too love to garden and love summer time with my kids when school is out and they can just be kids.

Colorado is such a beautiful state in so many ways, that's why it is number one on our list. And when we went there to check things out, everyone was so friendly that my husband kept joking it was a trick to get us to move there, LOL. But the truth is I am so torn and scared, and further more I can't talk to my best friend about it cause she's mad at me and in denial about it, LOL.... How did you all do it?

Thanks again for your posts and honesty. Please keep them coming.
Kali
PS Sorry to ramble on so much.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:37 AM

1,209 posts, read 4,246,256 times
Kaligirl-
For us it was the schools that put us over. It was hard to leave family and friends, but we couldn't see our 4 year old entering the school system there. Maybe other factors made the decision a little easier for us, like my job, the property exchange rate, familiarity with the area, and the fact that we had made 3 major moves before>from AZ to TX to AZ to CA If you move and hate it, then you can move back. Granted it's not much fun, but you are not locked in a place forever. Heck, there might be a time when we move back to SoCal or AZ. There are no garrantees about liking a place. You have to take everything you read here with a grain of salt also. Every one's situation and outloook is different. For us, it seemed like everything fell into place quickly so it was a positive experience.
Take more exploratory trips and visit the schools and places you would use if you lived here, not just the scenic spots. Drive or walk if you have time, around neighborhoods that appeal to you. Visit during the winter months, because the rest of the year is a piece of cake.
E-mail us if you need a local guide or contact.
Paul

Old 01-29-2007, 01:51 PM

634 posts, read 2,324,391 times
Hi everyone,

I didn't really see this posted, so if it has been, I apologize.

We live in the east part of San Diego and are looking to move to the Denver area in the next year, earlier if we can swing it. We have two kids, ages 10 and 12. Most of what I have read on the forum pertains to people who already have obtained employment before they move. How did you do this while out of state? Or did you move prior to having the job? I would love some insight to this.

Our dilemma is this, we can either try and obtain jobs while still in CA before we move (probably preferred method since it will be hard to rent anywhere without a job first)...or we can just save up money and move without jobs. What is everyone's thoughts on this? If we have to save money then we can't move until most likely a year from now, and I really don't want to wait. Bottom line, I'm impatient and want out of here, but the job/finance part of is driving me nuts.

I'll quit rambling now. Seriously, I would appreciate any input on this.

Thanks

Old 01-29-2007, 02:15 PM

7,335 posts, read 16,594,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
.... enough digression, send a PM to LoveBoating if you wish, but please, let's get back on track and discuss how California transplants are doing here....

Thanks!
s/Mike from back east
Everyone, the Moderator is absolutely correct.......if you have any other replies for me, please by all means send a PM. I sort of got "carried away" with my reply and apologize for that. This Thread is about how the California transplants are doing in the Denver metro area....please be HONEST and let the person who started this Thread know. The "good" and the "bad", no matter what it is.
Thank You
As far as the person asking about getting a job, before moving here: Neither the wife or I had a job when we moved here from So Calif, but, due to my wife's accounting experience/Degree, she obtained a nice job within a month of us being here. However, it did take me a few more months to find a job. It can be very difficult to obtain a job in one State when you live in another.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:00 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,776,850 times
For the person tired of Colorado winters I'd recommend New Mexico, Central and Southern Oregon, and yes, North Carolina (it's winter are far milder than Colorado)

Old 01-31-2007, 07:14 PM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
So, how are the California transplants doing....any more Californians care to chime in....

Thanks

s/Mike

Old 02-01-2007, 10:46 AM

4 posts, read 15,128 times
seahawksweetie,

I feel your pain! My husband and I are in the same place. We are going out to visit and look for hosues on the 12th of this month. If all goes well and we feel a pull to be here, then we are going to consider moving temp. for a year. We will lease out our house and move into an apartment and get a feel for the place for real. I dont know about the job market either and I have not found anyone to tell us what it is like. Have you been out for a visit at all?

I wish you al lthe best and I will keep an eye out for you and let you know.

God Bless,

Old 02-01-2007, 02:52 PM

634 posts, read 2,324,391 times
Sunflower-

Both my husband and I have visited there before but before we were married. We love the snow, the 4 seasons, the mountains, all the sports plus it would be closer to my parents in OK without me actually living in the same state with them. Nice to be near them, not be with them (if you know what I mean).

I would be very interested in what you find when you get there. What are your specific reasons for wanting out of OC? We used to live in Anaheim Hills and although a pretty area, I hated the cost. I will be so glad to wake up in an area with pine trees and snow and not palm trees and sand.

Thanks for your help and I will do the same for you.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:56 PM
AJY

52 posts, read 218,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
Hi FS7,
We moved to Monument 3 years ago from San Marcos,CA. The weather in CA was much better. My daughter in Carlsbad just called and said it was 70 I still love it here. I get out and shovel and use a snowblower and kinda like it The winters here are not usually this bad though. At least that what my neighbors tell me.
Everywhere you go there are good things and not-so good things. The winter weather here may not be as nice, but the other benefits far out weigh that. Besides, weather during the other 9 months is very similar to San Diego.
Another thing is our situation was ideal for a move. My job doesn't require me to locate in a particular city, so we could look around. We made a little money from our house. Our daughter was just about to start kindergarten. We found a great deal in a beautiful area with great schools.
There are a lot of people who want to get out of CA, but can't due to circumstances beyond their control. There are many more who like CA enough to put up with the not-so good stuff. For us it was the right time and 3 years later there are no regrets.
Is Monument near Colorado Springs or Castle Rock?
We just came back from a visit to Reno NV. and really wished we would have went to Co. instead. What is this water problem I hear about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or