Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 05:50 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,921,996 times

Advertisements

Monument is north of Colorado Springs. It used to be about 10 miles out, but development is growing north out of CO Springs and south out of Monument. If you are interested in real estate our zip is 80132.
Castle Rock is about 30 minutes north.
Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 12:48 AM

2 posts, read 4,669 times
Wink Nov 06 Transplant

Hello,
Here's our experience to date......
I think we've seen about one week of landscape without snow, since our move during Thanksgiving week. As life long CA natives till that point, a huge concern was our ability to adapt to the snow, especially the driving. Like many of you, we were told, the snow comes and melts within a day on the Front Range. As you all know, it's turned out to be quite a different story this yr.

But, I really have no complaints. I've slidden through an icy road and stop sign. When I backed into a snow covered ditch, I had offers of help before I could have even reached AAA. There are a lot of Good Samaritans out there.
I think it made a difference that we came with an SUV (smaller size). Smaller vehicles seem to have a hard time during the first blizzard especially.

Life in CA was getting a bit too crazy and we were in debt up to our kazoo. We put our home on the market and just closed escrow last Monday. It meant paying for a rental (here in Loveland, just south of Ft. Collins) and our mortgage for a 3 month period. We also took a hit and accepted a much lower offer than we were hoping for. I guess we could have held out, but paid more in the long run. As of today, we are totally debt free. That is an incredible feeling.

For now we will continue to rent and give ourselves time to decide where exactly in the Front Range we want to settle. Our landlord (found her through Craigslist) is allowing us to rent, month to month. Utility bills are higher than we're used to, but we just bundle up more. I'm glad we chose that route even though it will mean another move eventually when we buy. We are keeping extra belongings in a storage unit, too. Heating bills are higher than we're used to, but we just bundle up more. I will definitely look for dual pane windows in our next place.

My husband is tele-commuting so that's been a huge blessing financially and allowed us to keep our health insurance for now. I've decided to go the entrepreneurial route and starting out in my own home business. They have some excellent workshops (free) for job seekers, too. Someone expressed the opinion that those who have been laid off are having a hard time finding new jobs. They are willing to take work that were normally being given to the teen population.

I think the majority of folks here are pretty friendly and helpful, too. It's fun exploring the one of a kind coffee shops & restaurants. Although we don't have young kids, there seems to be lots for them to do. Gas is cheaper, but both Ft. Collins and Loveland are spread out a lot more. I get turned around and confused by the street and road numbering still.

All in all, we've had our moments, but we've shown ourselves that we can handle the snow.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:57 PM

7 posts, read 38,050 times
We are moving from Southern CA to Loveland, Co in March. I am really looking forward to it. I've lived in California for over twenty years. My Husband and 11 year old are excited too. I lived in Conn. when I was a little kid so I am familiar with the snow, although it will be much different to have to drive in it.

Last edited by veitch; 02-03-2007 at 12:09 AM..

Old 02-05-2007, 09:27 PM

90 posts, read 317,890 times
Our next-door neighbor is from CA. And he *says* he's been in CO for 14 years. But he still doesn't know how to shovel snow....

During our Christmas storm (almost 3 ft) I warned him to throw the snow well into the yard -- just in-case the next snows come before the first melts. (He ignored me.)

After the New Years storm, he had great difficulty throwing the snow clear. (He's short; and the piles of snow were at least 5 ft high.)

Hi *is* getting better at driving on this stuff. And it may actually be gone by ... oh, May...?

- KK

Old 02-08-2007, 01:06 PM

8 posts, read 33,164 times
Not a smart move. Can't get used to the lower wages in CO, driving in the winter sucks, the cities can't get the streets cleaned off, DIA is not suited for harsh winters like this one has been, I don't like being trapped indoors for the most part of the year. Great place to go if you get into horses, and the "cowboy" way of life. A city girl won't make it here! I guess the things to measure are bad weather in Co vs. bad traffic in CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinishSTRONG7 View Post
If anyone moved recently from CA, I'm sure the last couple of weeks have been quite trying. Got to actually see real weather there! So I just want the transplants to share their thoughts/experiences, how much of a shock it was, etc. Don't need convincing to still move-- I'll take the snow of CO over anything in CA 8 days a week! Oh and AZ, TX, and FL transplants are welcome to comment as well!

Happy New Year, all!

Sherman

Old 02-08-2007, 08:24 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,921,996 times
Quote:
I don't like being trapped indoors for the most part of the year.
Where do you live? We are in Monument close to the Palmer Divide. We get some of the worst weather along the Front Range. We are not trapped indoors for 'most' of the year. Been in the high 40's this week. It was warmer in CO Springs. I didn't need to use my snow blower last year and only twice the year before.
The weather here cannot compare to SoCal, but I'm outside most of the year, not trapped inside. If I felt like you do, I would move to a warmer climate. Life is too short.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:02 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
Where do you live? We are in Monument close to the Palmer Divide. We get some of the worst weather along the Front Range. We are not trapped indoors for 'most' of the year. Been in the high 40's this week. It was warmer in CO Springs. I didn't need to use my snow blower last year and only twice the year before. The weather here cannot compare to SoCal, but I'm outside most of the year, not trapped inside. If I felt like you do, I would move to a warmer climate. Life is too short.
True, and I live down the road about 5-7 miles from you, at most, equal to milepost 152 on I-25, and we were in the UPPER 50's and LOW 60's here this week...been going to the gym in a tee shirt and featherweight Nike warmup pants...of course at night it's sport coat weather...like it was last night when we went to Pikes Peak center to see Lyle Lovett and John Hyatt and others.

Was in Denver-LODO two Friday's ago... dinner and a comedy show... sport coat weather... saw a ton of lovely young ladies running around in short skirts and light jackets... o-o-o-o-o-o to be young and single again... no shortage of LIFE in Colorado in the winter... ain't got a beach or an ocean, but we got us one hell of a great state...

Still, the classic SoCal bikini-girl-laying-out-in-the-sun most of the year kind of lifestyle is NOT readily available here except in summer...that may be why we have so many tanning salons around...

So, to each his own, and let us celebrate (not pooh-pooh) our differences...

s/Mike from back east

Old 02-20-2007, 10:45 PM

132 posts, read 576,618 times
<[What about gardening? Tomato growing was mentioned. I am an avid gardener.
I would like to grow tomatoes and veggies in the warm period of the year. That is feasible right? Greenhouse gardening also? >

http://www.coloradogardening.com/

Old 02-21-2007, 01:29 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
Default It's all relative

Hi Mike....this might not be totally on thread, however, I did live in Boulder for 5 years (loved it), and Denver for 6 months (hated it -- too much pollution), and amidst other places I've lived, I'm now in Central California.

It seems I see a common idea through here -- those who have handled "weather" in worse places, seem to not mind Colorado winters; those who have not and are used to really mild California winters are surprised.

I'm from the cold northeast, originally, and I thought Colorado winter weather was superb! Low humidity, a little snow (to me -- but now that I live in California, I can see why Californians would be surprised by what I consider just a little snow for a short period of time), and those beautiful sunny days (even when it is cold and snowy out). I loved walking around in a teeshirt when the thermometer said "40" but it felt like "60." But those in less humid California, will find that "40" still feels like what they are used to feeling as "40," and may not like it.

http://www.homeexchange.com/ is a site that allows people to "exchange" homes. I know that I've seen some for Colorado, and many people wanting to go to California. Although this is an international service, people in the States also trade homes. It might be a good idea to consider something like this, especially during the winter season.

By the way, I found it very expensive in Boulder -- although I love the town! When I first moved there and was offered a job for a pittance, I asked why salaries were so low, and the answer was, "You get half your salary in scenery."

There are pros and cons about everyplace. I have been seriously considering moving back to Colorado, but at my age, I'm not sure anymore. It is a toss-up. And if you're not in your twenties or in college, or really young, I think it does take more effort to meet people -- not that people are unfriendly, but that they have their own busy lives going on.

To sum up, I love Colorado and I do live in California, however, if you have not lived in cold weather/winter before, it may be a surprise to you -- to me, it was a pleasant surprise because the winters WERE so much milder than I was used to. But if you're not used to winter weather and snow at all, then it may seem severe. It's all relative.

Good luck folks!

Old 02-21-2007, 04:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
[quote=cil;307974]Remember, you're a mile high in Denver. You can definitely feel the sun.
Spring Snow Information[/b]

Date of Last Measurable Snow Last 8 Years: May 10, 2006
May 2, 2005
April 30, 2004
May 10, 2003
May 24, 2002
April 21, 2001
April 16, 2000
April 23, 1999[/QUOTE

I believe these dates are from the National Weather Service station in Denver. Local conditions can be a bit different. It snowed in Boulder on my daughter's high school graduation day, June 4, 2005.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado