Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 01:59 PM

15 posts, read 43,842 times

Advertisements

If anyone moved recently from CA, I'm sure the last couple of weeks have been quite trying. Got to actually see real weather there! So I just want the transplants to share their thoughts/experiences, how much of a shock it was, etc. Don't need convincing to still move-- I'll take the snow of CO over anything in CA 8 days a week! Oh and AZ, TX, and FL transplants are welcome to comment as well!

Happy New Year, all!

Sherman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 12:36 PM

264 posts, read 1,390,734 times
Apparently all the recent transplants are still in shock to answer

Let me know how you do when you get to CO! I'm very jealous, but going to see CO in late January. Hopefully the snow will clear some by then!

Old 01-07-2007, 01:59 PM

13 posts, read 64,968 times
Smile Planning move to Cortez/eventually Grand Junction, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinishSTRONG7 View Post
If anyone moved recently from CA, I'm sure the last couple of weeks have been quite trying. Got to actually see real weather there! So I just want the transplants to share their thoughts/experiences, how much of a shock it was, etc. Don't need convincing to still move-- I'll take the snow of CO over anything in CA 8 days a week! Oh and AZ, TX, and FL transplants are welcome to comment as well!

Happy New Year, all!

Sherman
My husband will be working near Cortez, CO, we are currently are living in Mountain Home, AR it is extremely conservative and very Bible belt and repressed, I'm concerned Grand Junction, or Cortez would be the same, any infor you might have, appreciate it, suz

Old 01-07-2007, 08:06 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
What do you mean by conservative, bible belt, and repressed? Is that like Republican-religious fanatic-communists? Please elaborate? I'm curious.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:40 AM

616 posts, read 3,004,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzeque View Post
My husband will be working near Cortez, CO, we are currently are living in Mountain Home, AR it is extremely conservative and very Bible belt and repressed, I'm concerned Grand Junction, or Cortez would be the same, any infor you might have, appreciate it, suz
From what others have posted, GJ is very laid back. Of course, you can be conservative and laid back at the same time. Not all of us republican "bible thumpers" go around repressing people.

Last edited by gpraceman; 01-08-2007 at 08:46 AM..

Old 01-23-2007, 07:58 AM
Cin

72 posts, read 308,436 times
Hi from former Mesa AZ girl... In Fort Collins for a bit over a week and still in shock...........so is my doggie. It will be fine though just shocking weatherwise! Mild winters my a--!!! LOL Cin

Last edited by Cin; 01-23-2007 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 01-23-2007, 05:57 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,921,996 times
Hi FS7,
We moved to Monument 3 years ago from San Marcos,CA. The weather in CA was much better. My daughter in Carlsbad just called and said it was 70 I still love it here. I get out and shovel and use a snowblower and kinda like it The winters here are not usually this bad though. At least that what my neighbors tell me.
Everywhere you go there are good things and not-so good things. The winter weather here may not be as nice, but the other benefits far out weigh that. Besides, weather during the other 9 months is very similar to San Diego.
Another thing is our situation was ideal for a move. My job doesn't require me to locate in a particular city, so we could look around. We made a little money from our house. Our daughter was just about to start kindergarten. We found a great deal in a beautiful area with great schools.
There are a lot of people who want to get out of CA, but can't due to circumstances beyond their control. There are many more who like CA enough to put up with the not-so good stuff. For us it was the right time and 3 years later there are no regrets.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:15 PM

264 posts, read 1,390,734 times
Vfrpilot -
We're currently in San Marcos, looking possibly at CO to relocate.
Weather has been crazy here lately, too. 30's overnight, then back up to 80's during the day - and this is January!

My son will be starting kindergarten next fall. I'm assuming if we moved there next fall/winter we might have trouble getting him into a good public school?

Here in SM, you have to register your child the previous spring to get a class. I was told by our local elementary school that classes can fill up, so I'm assuming I'd have to send my child to another school in that case.
Any idea how the registration process works in Colorado?

Old 01-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Cin

72 posts, read 308,436 times
Kimmer, You always are welcome no matter how full class is if you live in the boundaries of the school. You will be fine. I for the most part have seen/heard most CO schools are good. You will have to ask more when you decide which city. best of luck. Cin

Old 01-24-2007, 04:36 PM

4 posts, read 16,076 times
vfrpilot,
Glad to see I found someone who took the next step and made the great move from good ol cali. My husband and I are considering relocation as well to colorado. We are flying out to see this wonderful state february 5th. We planned on staying at least a week to get a feel for the neighborhoods, the schools, life during the day, the nights and the weekends. We have a 16 year old son that goes back and forth with wanting to stay and wanting to go. i know most of you probably thin why in the world would you move him so close to him gradutating, well he has two years and if he can finish off his two years with better opportunities, and less size classrooms, and as stated by another memeber not having to be on a waiting list to try to get into a better school. I am sure I would miss the weather as for the most part I am a lizard and love the sun, but I am over the rat race her in the OC. The faster people leave, the faster it seems they are coming in. I currently live in Santa Ana and for those of you who do not know the OC, I am what they would call the capital. At a booming 250,000 population as the 5, 000 get out, the next 10,000 move in. I am over it and ready for a fresh new start. best of luck to you and your family and maybe we will meet someday. God Bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado