Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 01:59 AM

18 posts, read 95,185 times

Advertisements

Hi all, seems like a group of helpful locals around here. I need some advice.

We are: Early thirties, married, little daughter and a second on the way. Living in Phoenix area.

We will: Move to Colorado in 2-3 years, will need to live anywhere north of Denver / South of Fort Collins.

Absolute Requirements we're seeking:
- 3 bedroom / 2 bath, basement, in the $175k-$225k range.
- Not metropolitan, but not too rural either; a bedroom community please.
- Commute to Denver area or Boulder inside of 45 mins - 1 hour (~1 hr 20 min w/ snow).
- Big on safety, Big on family, strong community feel.
- More professional than blue collar (i hate that term by the way)

I am a professional in marketing, specifically online retail/ecommerce. I am expecting my job market to be Denver or Boulder, but want to be in viable reach of Longmont/Ft. Collins to keep my options up as well (never know).

I hate where I am. I am finished with methed-out tweakers, harley davidsons (NOT ridden by lawyers), no seasons, horrid heat, not being able to easily hike or camp, no walking to stores, no saying hi on the street, looking over my shoulder when I unlock my car, watching my garage door go ALL the way down before I go inside, wondering what that sound is outside at 2:33 a.m.... I'm done.

I need good people, people who can carry a conversation about politics without being children, people who have gone to college, people who care about what happens to each other. I need places where family and God are important, but not so much that a gay guy gets bashed in with a bat. I need quiet at night, no lurkers. I need to be a regular guy Monday thru Friday, love my backyard, say hi to the neigbors and get the occassional Starbucks/NY Times on a Sunday. I need to not lose sight of the MBA I've always wanted, and I want people like that around me. Frankly, I want people better than me around me. I'm tired of being the best around me, I want to be the worst person on the street (and I'm a great person). I want people who read books and talk about them, and I want the neighbor that works on his car but ONLY because he's restoring a '57 Chevy to pristine condition, not because his toothless girlfriend seriously needs to get to work or because he found a box of matte grey paint.

I'm afraid, afraid of waking up in a decade and seeing my children in garbage schools and hanging out with garbage. I'm afraid of never being able to talk about the books I read, to anyone. I'm tired of turning out my bedside light every night, right after I check to make sure my foot-long Maglite is on the nightstand, because I'm waiting for that night when someone comes in my house. I'm tired of lying in the dark, practicing my moves in my head... and wondering if I will be able to save my family when that person comes. I'm tired and afraid, and I'm tired of being afraid. It's time to go. I need more in my life.

Where do I go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2006, 03:09 AM

827 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Default Living in Phoenix

I hear ya on getting out of Phoenix which has just got the award for "city where people sweat more then anywhere else" yeah, nice award! You might look around Loveland in between both Longmont and Ft. Collins. Longmont is a pretty nice town too. I love up toward Estes Park but that may be too far for you. If you do buy out in that area be careful about Big Thompson Creek, don't buy down on the creek as it can be a real killer in flooding. If you are going to be more toward Boulder, Nederland is a nice small town. You might drive from Nederland up to Estes Park on Hwy 72 and then Hwy 7 and see what you think and then look around Longmont and Loveland. I am getting out of Phoenix in a year and I'm headed to Colorado myself. I can't stand this infernal oven anymore! Good Luck!

Last edited by Crackerjack; 06-16-2006 at 03:46 AM..

Old 06-16-2006, 10:53 AM

435 posts, read 1,575,848 times
I actually lived in Denver for a short time also before moving to Phoenix, and I can tell you that there's no comparison in terms of quality of living. Denver is a much nicer city with much nicer people, hands down- and with a far more tolerable climate. I never would have left Denver, but for a career requirement which forced me to. I'm sick of ranting about Phoenix, Crackerjack and I have both vented pretty heavily in another thread. But you're right, the crime epidemic here in Phoenix is out of hand, and the heat is maddening. If I had a family, like you, I'd get out of this place at all costs. It's interesting to note that Phoenix was recently rated the 3rd-worst city in the U.S. in which to raise kids- no surprise considering the skyrocketing crime, terrible schools, drug epidemic and health hazards due to heat and pollution.

Anyway, I'm getting out of here myself in about a year, going to Durango. But I'd go back to Denver, too, in a heartbeat. The area I lived in when I was there was pretty much right next to downtown, near City Park. It's a beautiful area, nice old neighborhood restored Victorian homes, lots of options close by as far as dining & entertainment. I was actually very close to 5 Points, which has the reputation of being a rough neighborhood, but I never had any issues when I was there. The whole area is gentrifying nicely, as young professionals and families looking to experience the classic East coast city life move in.

Incidentally, Denver does have the highest percentage of adults aged 25-40 with college degrees of any major city in the country. So, if you're looking for educated and civilized folks like yourself in a big city environment, you're going to the right place.

Away from downtown, many of the suburbs are also terrific- great schools, safe, lots to see and do both inside and out. Lakewood is great, Golden is nice, Boulder is terrific (lots of spoiled hippy students and consequently drugs, though... not sure if I'd want to raise kids there). To the north, between Ft. Collins and Denver, there's Westminster, Broomfield, and Northglenn, all of which have reputations as very nice communities. The only place I'd probably stay away from is Thornton, which I've never really been to but which doesn't have as nice a reputation as the others.

Old 06-16-2006, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,771 times
It sounds like a sh--hole where you are..and with a young family you're right to be thinking of moving to a safer environment where she/they can get the education they need to prepare them for their futures..

Colorado isn't necessarily tops for elementary / secondary ed ....probably Iowa is...but the areas you're considering are respectful...

The climate here is WONDERFUL!!...we moved here from Omaha five years ago...winter here is a joke in my opinion...you can be skiing and golfing the same day in CO!!...you'll see people in shorts in January.!!..its the altitude and proximity to the sun...very warm..!..the biggest problem here is there is SO much to do, so many temptations to go play and the climate is such that it rarely interferes with plans for outdoor activities...

Anyway, you're on the right track..... As far as looking for a home is concerned..I'd hook up with the REMAX folks..their CEO is from these parts..I think their HQ is here and they definitely have a strong presence...stay away from Bouder/Boulder County....very expensive..and

From a professional perspective....there should be good opportunity for you ....also, without a doubt, this is the most entrepreneurial environment we've ever lived in..startups and small company opps everywhere...

You'll love it!!..

Welcome to Colorful Colorado!!

TightlinesinCO

You'll find a lot to choose from...might want to move sooner..as real estate mkt is soft now..

Great climate....too many temptations for playing hookie..

Good optons for your profession as well..

Welcome to Colorful Colorado!!

Good Luck!

Last edited by Marka; 06-17-2006 at 01:02 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 06-18-2006, 12:22 PM

18 posts, read 95,185 times
Your responses are appreciated!

tightlinesinco, regarding education, if I had to pick my reasons for leaving Arizona, it's to get paid more and get access to dramatically better education than what AZ has to offer. There are MANY places in America that qualify in that criteria, but mix in a horse lifestyle (my wife and daughter are into that) and my undying need to be near mountains and poof - Colorado!

Two follow-up questions and a comment...

1. Let's talk commute time...

Rush-hour in minutes to Downtown Denver from:
Ft. Collins [?]
Loveland [?]
Greeley [?]
Longmont [?]
Boulder [?]
Erie [?]

2. I'm looking at Erie. How many rush hour minutes to Downtown Denver and Fort Collins from that location?

3. In my research or the northern area, I'm starting to notice a general pattern. East of I-25, it appears to be more rural, more windy and populations with lower income and education. West of I-25, a rural/suburb mix, snow is heavier(?), and populations with higher incomes and edu. I realize there are exceptions, but is this accurate as a generalization?

Any takers on that last one?

Last edited by Marka; 06-25-2006 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 06-24-2006, 05:02 PM

648 posts, read 2,940,561 times
Redrotor-

I live in Colorado Springs, so if you ever have any questions on this beautiful area, I would be happy to help you! SHEP

Old 06-25-2006, 08:12 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
What can you stand for a commute? Erie can be 45 minutes. Longmont & Boulder could be similar along route 36. Ft. Collins/ Greely 1.5 hours in traffic, 2.5 in snow.

We get on average 55 inches of snow a season.

The west side of i-25 is older and more established, lots of new subsivisions on the east side.

Light Rail opens the southeast line in November 2006.

Old 06-26-2006, 08:43 PM

3 posts, read 11,983 times
Default Denver is NO DIFFERENT

Denver is no different from Phoenix. Crime abounds. And good luck getting a house in your required neighborhood for $200,000. You are going to have sticker shock. Try $400,000 to $600,000. I get approached every day on the street here in Denver for money and just general harrassment. Been to Phoenix and it is much better. Take my advice, move to Flagstaff.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:44 PM

648 posts, read 2,940,561 times
Colorado Springs would be a 45-1hr commute. Houses are more in your price range here. You could find something in Denver, maybe the Parker area. SHEP

Old 06-27-2006, 11:17 AM

7 posts, read 55,706 times
We spent some time in Longmont in March and really liked it! It seemed to have a good family atmophere to it and it seemed to have a good range of housing. We found a neighborhood we really liked with houses in the $200,000's. It was an older neighborhood near a park and a small lake...it just seemed really nice. Unfortunately, my husband's job offer came from Colorado Springs, so we had to adjust our plans. I think you should go to Colorado for a few days...and spend some time just driving...we put over 700 miles on our rental car in three days!! Most of that was driving around towns like Longmont!
The one place we did not get to that we wanted to see was Nederland...we knew it was too far out of town for us...but it sounded pretty cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado