U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 07:55 AM

432 posts, read 1,786,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
Wonder what happen to the original poster? They didn't rally elaborate on their original statement. It went from Florence is a 'dump' to 'sounds pretty nice to me'.
I still think it was a kid. No different from most kids that can't wait to leave. Or someone just trying to stir things up.

But to clarify. Many love Florence and the area. But it is depressed and run down. But when they decide to do something, they don't talk it to death to the point it never gets done like Canon. They do it. So it is looking better. They have a beautiful new high school and are working on getting better rating for their schools. Right now they are less than average. Many are coming to Canon for school. Shame. But I can understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,058 times
Nadine- are you still monitering this thread? Do you live in Florence or near it?
I came on to find out if anyone from the Florence area was on here. I can give you some history on the beginnings of Florence.

In the late 1800s, my Great Grandfather & Great Grandmother moved from eastern Long Island, NY to Colorado. My GGrandfather was an official with the railroad & they ended up living in tents while the train trestle was built over the gorge & through the area. My grandmother & her little sister were their children & I believe both of my GGparents are in the local cemetary, as they both died by the time my Gmother was 16 & she & her sister were sent east to live.

My grandmother told me all kinds of stories about living in Florence & the area, the trestle, etc. & supposedly there's a rock with a plaque on it honoring my GGFather somewhere in Florence.

If anyone lives near Florence, I'd love to hear from you & have pictures of my GGParents' headstone, the plaque, the trestle, or anything else.

Thanks.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:43 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,407,894 times
I boarded my horse there for a bit, I thought it was kinda cool. And you're close to the mountains!
Not the most progressive part of the part.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:08 PM

15,387 posts, read 21,487,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
Florence isnt a desert town right? I have seen pictures of Florence and I see pines and some hills around it. The city looks old like Silverton, is that correct or am I seeing pictures of another town?
You were confused I LVUNM.....the OP claims it is a Dessert town not a desert town......Florence must be the frosting on the cake.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 715 times
Default Funny...

Funny, because I moved to Canon from Missouri a year ago. I love it. We are getting ready to move to Florence, and everyone I talked to said that a lot of people like Florence better.....schools included. My kids go to Mountain View Core Knowledge in Canon, so they will stay there through 8th grade, but if they want to go to the Florence High School, I am fine with that. My husband works with a girl who transferred from Canon High School to FLorence when she was in shool, and she liked Florence better, too.
Florence does not equal dump at all. Every town has better streets than others. I call Florence cozy with a family feel.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:33 PM

112 posts, read 209,301 times
This is odd that I noticed this I was just talking about Florance in History today with my friend who was born in Lamar.

We got lost there once when my mom turned off of highway 50 at the wrong spot (or maybe was never on it in the first place lol). We literally thought it was a ghost town because the seeming lack of any human life and the condition of the houses. Then she wanted to see the river so we ended up driving though the whole town because she wouldn't take directions from signs... With some work the down town area could be nice I remember some of the buildings as being nice but falling in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado