Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 01:48 AM

33 posts, read 100,894 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning a move to denver colorado, and I read that denver gets tornadoes. I was just wondering how often does denver get them?

I have never seen a tornado, so I am very unfamiliar with them.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 01:50 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,322,740 times
Denver is on the edge of tornado alley. It gets them, but not often and usually much weaker ones than you'd get farther east.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:56 AM

862 posts, read 2,613,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper720 View Post
My family and I are planning a move to denver colorado, and I read that denver gets tornadoes. I was just wondering how often does denver get them?

I have never seen a tornado, so I am very unfamiliar with them.

Thanks
Well, for the BEST UNBIAS info, go to NOAA:

CLICK HERE...

Type in the state, county and search. Adams & Weld County get A LOT more tornadoes than other counties in Colorado. Today, numerous tornadoes hit north of Denver causing 1 fatality. They were in Weld County, just north of Adams County.

Also, use DATA not people's "opinions" when investigating weather. Denver does NOT get "300 days" of sunshine, that is Chamber of Commerce propaganda. According to NOAA, it gets 250 days of sunshine.

As a former AZ resident, we HATE the weather (my wife & I) and are moving back to AZ. I listened to the "300 days" and "mild" nonsense, my mistake. I should have researched the data using LEGIT sources like NOAA. Live and learn...

Old 05-23-2008, 09:13 AM

355 posts, read 1,399,898 times
ahhh dont listen to lbear ........denver will get alot of warnings for tornados warnirng but the further east you are the more chance of getting severe weather

Old 05-23-2008, 09:52 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,889,377 times
Tornadoes seem to occur more up in the Denver area than down here in C Springs. When I lived in what is now Centennial - August of 1997 was really weird on the weather end. There were many tornado sightings that month (plus tons of rain) and huge hail. I had to sit in the car for a good 20 minutes before I could go grocery shopping. I thought for sure it was going to break the moon roof!

Anyhow, Colorado does get them as we are on the plains but once you get west of the foothills, tornado activity greatly reduces.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:16 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,103,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post

Also, use DATA not people's "opinions" when investigating weather. Denver does NOT get "300 days" of sunshine, that is Chamber of Commerce propaganda. According to NOAA, it gets 250 days of sunshine.

As a former AZ resident, we HATE the weather (my wife & I) and are moving back to AZ. I listened to the "300 days" and "mild" nonsense, my mistake. I should have researched the data using LEGIT sources like NOAA. Live and learn...
I don't post very often but I have to respond to this ridiculous tirade that has been posted on several threads now. Would you give it up already? We get your point. SO MOVE! Buh-bye now.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:47 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,457,808 times
Don't worry, we get the "We hear you get a lot of tornados..." question a lot in Oklahoma, where even though it is a legitimate concern, its not like we are peeking out our windows cowering in fear.

Just watch the news and you will hear of any severe weather coming your way.

The problem is, tornados can touch down and do some incredible damage when they hit far off the "tornado alley" area.

The Associated Press: Tornado kills 1, injures dozens in northern Colo. (broken link)

Old 05-23-2008, 02:57 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,987,994 times
I grew up in Limon way back....way way back....and I have never SEEN a tornado or heard a tornado warning [this is 1941 to 1962] I remember hear of them WEST of Limon near Strasburg and EAST of Limon near Burlington but I never saw one.....until Limon was nailed by one in the early 90's.....since then.....[seems like once ya let one in, they ALL want to come]

Old 05-23-2008, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 7,913 times
Default Other parts of CO

I'm reading a lot of comments and questions about tornadoes in the Denver area...what about the rest of the state? Does the western side of the Rockies get tornadoes? My sister lives in Ouray and I was wondering if there where tornadoes in that part of the state?

Old 05-23-2008, 05:34 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,065,169 times
Oh come on!!!!!!!!! I have lived in Colorado my whole life (until 5-2007 to 4-2008) and although I have seen a huge twister when I was a school bus driver for Cherry Creek Schools, we have no reason for alarm!! PUHLEASE!!

Someone needs to calm down and then MOVE!! It is fine to have an opinion ( I love that as a matter of fact) but, geez!!!! Get on and over it already!!!

We all know that "misery loves company" but, I just moved from the beach to be in this wonderful state I love!! If I can do it, you can move to your IDEAL state too!!! Where would that be, by the way??? Also, why aren't you there already?? You must be sooooooooooooooo sad!!! Poor baby!!

I am also going to mention how very sorry I am for those in Northern Colorado ,... I hope you are doing fine and can rebuild as soon as possible and get to living and loving your life once again! Godspeed!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado