Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:32 AM

18,178 posts, read 25,734,844 times

Advertisements

I have started very few threads since joining city data. After reading some of the shots posters are taking at each other, I have a suggestion. Put your energy into helping people in need. Go through your closet, pull out clothes you don't wear anymore, household items you don't use anymore, and donate them. Buy some canned fruits and vegetables and donate them. Cash donations help. The Red Cross and other relief agencies are going to have their hands full, as this is the worst disaster Colorado has seen since the 1965 flood. Help your neighbor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 09:55 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,405,204 times
Great suggestion, Double H. Despite my reputation (probably well-earned) as a curmudgeon on this board, I do a number of the things you suggest in your post pretty regularly. You've inspired me to do some more "spring cleaning" and donating. Not only can it help one's fellow man (OK, person), but it actually feels pretty liberating to turn loose of some "stuff." And, in the end, it is just "stuff."

Old 05-23-2008, 11:52 AM

719 posts, read 2,611,898 times
Gave a generous donation to the Red Cross this morning. My wife and I both hate clutter, so we're also regular givers to ARC, Salvation Army, etc.
When we go to Mazatlan, we take relative's and friend's used kids clothes to the orphanage there.
Good of ya, DoubleH, to start a thread like this.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:11 PM

182 posts, read 667,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I have started very few threads since joining city data. After reading some of the shots posters are taking at each other, I have a suggestion. Put your energy into helping people in need. Go through your closet, pull out clothes you don't wear anymore, household items you don't use anymore, and donate them. Buy some canned fruits and vegetables and donate them. Cash donations help. The Red Cross and other relief agencies are going to have their hands full, as this is the worst disaster Colorado has seen since the 1965 flood. Help your neighbor!
Smartasses often have the biggest hearts you could imagine.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:58 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,935,252 times
Does anyone know where we can make donations of clothing specifically to help the Windsor community?

Old 05-23-2008, 03:09 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,109,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Does anyone know where we can make donations of clothing specifically to help the Windsor community?
9News mentioned something on the news last night. Here is what their website says:

-Anyone wanting to donate time, money, or resources please call United Way at 211 or 970-353-4300 or 800-559-5590
-Anyone looking to make donations through 9NEWS please visit 9NEWS - Article - 9Cares: Tornado Relief Fund
-Saturday (5/24) King Soopers along the Front Range will start collecting monetary donations for 9Cares Tornado Relief Fund at the check stand
-Donations can be made at the JC Penney in Fort Collins
-To help the Red Cross visit American Red Cross - Centennial Chapter or call 211
-The Greeley Area Relators Association is accepting canned goods, non-perishable food items, and money donations Friday from 3 to 6 p.m. at Jacksons Sports Grill at 2118 35th Ave. in Greeley.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:24 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,935,252 times
I saw those earlier but they are all cash donations from what I can tell. Looks likes that's all the Red Cross takes. Looks like United Way is the same....
I just have a bunch of clothes and it would be nice to get them to someone who could really use them.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:48 PM

Thanks Neditate! The Salvation Army has a lot of people up there as well. They don't have any designated drop off points right there at this moment, but if you take donations to the Salvation Army warehouse itself, they are sending directly to the folks themselves. The area commander also said that the monetary donations to the folks in Windsor to be sure that when you write the check or money order be sure to put down "Windsor tornado relief fund", as is all the money goes to just that. I believe the big Salvation Army Warehouse in Denver is somewhere in the I-25 , I-70 area.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:54 PM

People! Appreciate the kind words. The reason I'm a little touchy on this issue is I worked at the Ft. St. Vrain Plant for a long time, 3 miles NW of Platteville, and stay in touch with guys I've known for decades. One of them was an ironworker who lives in Johnstown; talked to him this morning and people are real quiet right now. As I'm typing this there is a tornado that touched down near Roggen out on 76.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:44 AM

182 posts, read 667,267 times
Weld Humane also needs donations. In addition to sheltering lost tornado pets, they are trying to give food and supplies to owners reclaiming pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado