Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 12:46 AM

67 posts, read 638,501 times

Advertisements

I what just wondering what the warmest part of CO is? I am looking into Utah, CO and Az. I want something with nice weather but with the "four season" feel. any suggestions?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 03:16 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,888,280 times
Either Cañon City or Grand Junction.

Cañon has pretty darn good weather into the 90s in the summer but it can easily get into the 100s in Grand Junction.

They are both in valleys but Cañon situated in such a place it can be blowing snow up here in Colorado Springs or in Pueblo and it just doesn't happen there. Grand Junction winters are very mild but if the cold seeps in the valley, it will stay cold.

My two winters in Junction, not much snow at all but it was pretty much in the 30s the entire time...but come summer, one of the summers I was there, it was the hottest on record. 105° was pretty normal.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:25 PM

Thanks COflower, Canon city sounds more for me i think out of the two. Thanks

Old 05-26-2008, 09:43 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,367,714 times
You can read the various normals for yourself at Weatherbase . coflower pretty much has it right. I would add that Grand Junction gets less thunderstorm activity in summer than does Canon City. Canon City gets a fair number and they may go severe on occasion. That happens seldom in Grand Junction.

Nowhere in Colorado has a mild four season climate as one can find in southwestern Utah (St. George) or southern Arizona. Also, compared with the East, Colorado really doesn't have spring per se. The running joke (not far from the truth) is that spring in Colorado consists of the weather lurching between winter and summer. The last few days are a good example--from the 70's down into the 30's, with warm sunny days interspersed with snow--up to 8" of it--in the high country. Not surprisingly, spring is often the season that old-line Coloradans choose to take their vacations elsewhere.

I also hope that you realize that the warmer areas of Colorado are brown for about 6-7 months of the year with usually no snowcover. They may also be brown for a fair amount of the rest of the year, depending on precipitation, which varies considerably from year to year. It's not green like the East.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:05 PM

Jazz thats for all the information, Weatherbase is going to help thanks. I understand Colorado is either White or Brown. I am not too sure really what I want. I like the snow but I like the heat as well... minus the humidity that the east has..

Thanks

Old 05-28-2008, 11:52 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,703,577 times
The hottest summers or the mildest winters? Southeastern Colorado or the San Louis Valley or the Delta area have hot summers. The winters, though are cold and windy quite a bit. No place in Colorado has a really mild winter.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:05 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,226,383 times
The most "mildly warm" climate (without getting extreme heat) you can get in the US aside from coastal southern California can be found in extreme SE Arizona-- southeast of Tucson. That region has a climate similar to that of the interior highlands of Mexico. In Sierra Vista, AZ, for example, at an elevation of 4718 feet, the average daily temperature range for January is 35-58 and for July is 67-89. From July-September, they get major monsoon storm action bringing in a lot of rain, cooling the afternoons off. That corner of Arizona is technically not even a desert. Sierra Vista, for example, gets 15 inches of precipitation a year, which is considered "semi-arid." Now, whether or not it's desirable to live so close to the Mexican border and whether or not you can make a living down there is another topic, but just considering weather alone, that's where you want to look.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:05 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,367,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
The hottest summers or the mildest winters? Southeastern Colorado or the San Louis Valley or the Delta area have hot summers. The winters, though are cold and windy quite a bit. No place in Colorado has a really mild winter.
Not the San Luis Valley. The SLV has very cool summers, with almost no days over 90 degrees, and early morning low temperatures usually in the 40's. It can SEEM hot there because of the dryness and intensity of the sunshine (at 7,500-8,000 ft. elevation throughout the valley), but the ambient temperatures are lower than most locales in Colorado in summer. Alamosa climate data ( Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Alamosa, Colorado, United States of America ) shows an average of one day per year over 90 degrees. Compare that with Grand Junction ( Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Grand Junction, Colorado, United States of America ) at 61 days, Pueblo ( Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Pueblo, Colorado, United States of America ) at 64 days, and Lamar ( Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Lamar, Colorado, United States of America ) at 77 days.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:52 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,064,421 times
CANON CITY!!! It has the best weather and the best views!!!!!!!
It is also greener compared to other places!!
Move here and be glad!!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:08 PM

Thank you guys for all the information, I am just trying to find out what other people experience and think. I am just going into college next fall and I may study abroad in a few different places(domestically).

Thanks
John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado