Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 11:29 AM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,841 times

Advertisements

I bought a parcel down there about 10 years ago from BillyLands.com because I wanted to buy some "land"

It was about 10 k for 5 acres or so of the tallest sage you have ever seen-we are talking 6 feet high in spots

Yes it had great views of Blanca-but you could not even pull off the dirt road to camp on your own 5 acres without a dozer and chain pulling some sage away

Actually Billy Lands was great to work with and did not try to gloss over (too much) what the land actually was

They had a warranty period where one could bail and get your money (most of it back) so I did

Was lucky because I could check out the land in person and I bailed, they gave me my money back

Millions of acres of BLM throughout the west just like it ( actually much better) for free to camp and explore on

To The People who buy down there and do not check it out first: The land is cheap there because it sucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 12:57 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
It is a repeat of things said before but:

I'd suggest you don't buy before you visit, before you understand the building regs, water, utilities, winter, before you understand the full development costs, before you understand the community, vibe, poverty, shortage of jobs (or paying customers for business ideas), neighbors, crime situation and law enforcement response, distance to small city and big city for shopping, health care, etc.

It might work for you if you do the prep. Many of those who start down this path disappear from the forum and probably from the land.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:55 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
It is a repeat of things said before but:

I'd suggest you don't buy before you visit, before you understand the building regs, water, utilities, winter, before you understand the full development costs, before you understand the community, vibe, poverty, shortage of jobs (or paying customers for business ideas), neighbors, crime situation and law enforcement response, distance to small city and big city for shopping, health care, etc.

It might work for you if you do the prep. Many of those who start down this path disappear from the forum and probably from the land.
Exactly, but we still get people like NewLandOwner who complain that we are being too negative to newbies. SIGH!

Old 01-11-2017, 05:56 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Exactly, but we still get people like NewLandOwner who complain that we are being too negative to newbies. SIGH!
Sometimes when I'm feeling especially sadistic, I am tempted to answer folks like NewLandOwner by telling them that the SLV is Colorado's most wonderful, best kept secret ever. Buy all of those 5 acre lots that you can possibly afford! In the SLV that old wive's tale that "rain follows the plow" is actually true. Your Hispanic neighbors whose families have lived there for 300 years will welcome you with open arms and gladly share all their irrigation shares with you if you don't drill a well and hit a geyser of water at 10 feet first. Sage and mesquite is easy to clear and the presence of sage means the land can support crops from artichokes to zucchini with no extra fertilizer needed. All that horsefeathers about a chilly climate is simply untrue. Actually, the area is bathed with warm zephyrs both by day and by night. Alamosa has a world class airport with connections to NYC, LA, Rome and London. See how "nice" I can be if you catch me at the right time?

Old 01-11-2017, 06:27 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Sometimes when I'm feeling especially sadistic, I am tempted to answer folks like NewLandOwner by telling them that the SLV is Colorado's most wonderful, best kept secret ever. Buy all of those 5 acre lots that you can possibly afford! In the SLV that old wive's tale that "rain follows the plow" is actually true. Your Hispanic neighbors whose families have lived there for 300 years will welcome you with open arms and gladly share all their irrigation shares with you if you don't drill a well and hit a geyser of water at 10 feet first. Sage and mesquite is easy to clear and the presence of sage means the land can support crops from artichokes to zucchini with no extra fertilizer needed. All that horsefeathers about a chilly climate is simply untrue. Actually, the area is bathed with warm zephyrs both by day and by night. Alamosa has a world class airport with connections to NYC, LA, Rome and London. See how "nice" I can be if you catch me at the right time?
You forgot to say that when they visit they should stay in the Alferd Packer suite at the Casa de los Tontos.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:30 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
^^^

Actually, I think Alferd needs to be encouraged to answer a few letters from all the newbs who have written him and whose letters are starting to pile up unopened in his room at the rest home here in Cortez. Winter puts him in an unpredictable mood, and I've already caught him trying to send off an invite to President Obama and a few other prominent democrats for dinner. I guess he figures once Obama steps down from the presidency, no one will pay much attention if the former president just vanishes.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:46 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,067 times
Probably a lot newbies expecting to move into a trailer, grow promo bud (hey, I read an issue of High Times so I am now an expert!) and live off the land.

Of course they then have to meet some dispensary owners who would actually want to buy the schwag but that is a topic for another day.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-12-2017 at 12:19 PM..

Old 01-13-2017, 09:02 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLandOwner View Post
In my opinion, there seems to be heavy negativity regarding "newbies" being successful building in this area.

Is there somewhere a person can go to get sound advice on building and living on the land? San Luis on particular.
This is the sound advice. People are giving it to you freely. The water issue overwhelms everything else.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:04 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
Does anyone have information or advice on the amount of pollution in the water and air pertaining to the use of pesticides and other agricultural related chemicals?

I have done research on this, finding that there 'could' be a higher level of arsenic and other contaminants in well water. In addition to the sometimes conflicting literature out there, it's also nice to hear what locals have to say from experience.

Thank you!

Old 01-24-2017, 05:55 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
Water companies release quality reports to customers at least once a year and I think if you check their websites many of them have their data online. I am not sure where you would like for data on air pollution.

Well water will vary a lot depending on location and history - no two wells will be the same, even if they are nearby each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado