Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 05:57 AM

8 posts, read 15,863 times

Advertisements

Dear friends, excuse for my poor English.
My name is Alessandro. I'm an Italian attorney and I will travel to Colorado on August for vacation, from 12th to 26th.
I know that it's impossible to visit a whole State in a couple of weeks. However, I'd like to see the variety of the State.
At this moment, my vacation plane is: 3 nights in Grand Junction, in order to visit Colorado National Monument and Black Canyon; 3 nights in Ouray in order to visit San Juan Mountains (I love mountains); 3 nights in Boulder, in order to see if the city is as... granola eating as you say (!); three nights in north-east, in order to see what "not touristy" Colorado is (does it exist a not touristy Colorado?).
I live in Milano, but I was born in a big city named...GENOA, and I have just known that in Colorado there is a town named...Genoa!
What about my plane? I will be very happy to receive your golden suggestions.
For example: is it more beautiful Ouray or Lake City? I like walking, not climbing...Is it worth it to visit Arches Park in Utah or Colorado National Monument is enough? I'd like to visit Aspen, but I'm not Donald Trump...As a mountain area, is it better Steamboat or Ouray/Telluride? Or maybe Crested Butte? What about "Pawnee Pioneer Trails"? Is it "true Colorado"? Is it worth to go to the Sand Hills in Ne?
P.S: I love South American culture, but I'd like to visit areas in which people speak mostly English.
God bless America and the Marshall Tucker Band!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 08:41 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Since you are traveling a very long distance and want to see the best of Colorado while you are here, I would make these suggestions:

I would not waste 3 days in Grand Junction. The Colorado National Monument is nice, but not worth hanging around for more than a day. Unless you are flying into Grand Junction, I would skip it. Grand Junction can be hotter than hell in August--over 100 degrees is not uncommon during the day. I would forget Aspen and Boulder--they are sort of "cartoon Disneyland" versions of Colorado. Ouray is touristy, but beautiful--and is a good base to explore the San Juans. Lake City is different than Ouray, less crowded, and beautiful in its own right. I would spend time in both. Telluride's setting is beautiful scenically, but it another expensive resort full of the "beautiful people." Nice to pass through, but I wouldn't bother staying there. The Black Canyon is beautiful. If you want a less crowded experience, take CO Hwy. 92 east from Delta to Crawford and visit the North Rim of the Black Canyon, then continue on to US Hwy. 50 on CO 92. Very scenic the whole way. The Gunnison area still has a lot of beautiful mountain ranches (yes, with authentic cowboys). Crested Butte is another overpriced resort, but there is beautiful country surrounding it. I would stay in Gunnison, though--a lot cheaper.

Take time to ride one of the three great tourist railroads in south-central and southwestern Colorado. The Durango & Silverton ( Home Page - Durango&Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad in Durango, Colorado ) is the best-known. The upper half of the trip is beautiful--the train can be crowded, though. The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad ( Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad ) is an outstanding trip and is probably the closest feeling one can get of what it was like to ride a train through the mountains of Colorado 75 or 100 years ago. The Rio Grande Scenic Railroad ( Rio Grande Scenic Railroad Colorado Train - home ) is a great ride, too. The Durango & Silverton and Cumbres & Toltec are both steam-powered narrow-gauge railroads; the Rio Grande Scenic is standard gauge and steam-powered on some days (weekends). If I could only do one trip, I would ride the Cumbres & Toltec.

The San Luis Valley is interesting as the largest alpine valley in the western hemisphere. The Great Sand Dunes National Park is on the east end of the valley and is worth a stop. Believe it or not, there is also an alligator farm nearby (they are raised in water from hot springs) that gives tours.

A couple of words about weather. You will be visiting during the period of the "Southwest Monsoon." In the mountains, that means that mornings will generally be clear, but afternoon thunderstorms may develop just about every day. They usually end before dusk. Also, temperatures at night in the mountains will be getting cool--often down into the low 40's F. Overnight frost is possible. Snow is even possible at the highest elevations. You will see a variety of weather and temperatures. Dress in layers.

Though south-central and southwestern Colorado has a substantial Hispanic population, everyone speaks English.

This is a matter of my personal preference, but I would avoid the touristy Interstate 70 corridor from Denver to Grand Junction, and--frankly--I wouldn't waste a lot of time in Denver--it's just another big city these days. If you want to see the plains, eastern Colorado has them. The Sand Hills of Nebraska are interesting and very scenic in their own way. Neither place could be called a tourist destination, though. The Sand Hills are splendid ranch country--they are the "real deal." They are way out of the way, though.

Hope that helps.

PS--I've been to Genoa, Colorado. It's about as different from Genoa, Italy as you can get. For one thing, if you blink, you'll probably miss it.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:47 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,422 times
Jazzlover is correct. I wouldn't spend 3 days in Grand Junction.
If you are going to Ouray (my personal favorite)..you could stay in Montrose and either go North for a day in GJ or, to the South and spend 2 days in Ouray. In Ouray ( and don't anybody yell at me!)..I would go up above the town to Yankee Boy Basin. There are numerous Jeep and different rentals (guided too) to take you up there. It is a very beautiful, adrenelin filled rush of a drive you won't soon forget!! Most of Colorado's postcards and calendars are of this area (the wildflowers).

You could then head down Highway 50 to Gunnison...then to Royal Gorge.
Or, you could go down I70 towards Aspen, Vail, Glenwood Springs...on down to Denver.

I would opt for Highway 50 to Colorado Springs and take it from there!

What airport are you flying into? That makes a big difference as to where you start out!!!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:54 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
I agree with a couple of Jazzlover's suggestions. You could do the Colorado National Monument in a day. Black Canyon of the Gunnison is gorgeous, but not sure it's worth another day of your vacation. Drive down through Ouray and make a stop at Telluride, spending the night there. Then on to Durango for a ride on the narrow gauge railroad.

You could east from Durango over Wolf Creek pass to Alamosa, then stop at the Sand Dunes. Continue north to Salida and go 285 to the Denver/Boulder area.

You mentioned Crested Butte -- it would be gorgeous that time of year!

So much to do in the whole state. But where is Genoa?

Old 05-29-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
So much to do in the whole state. But where is Genoa?
Near Arriba, of course.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:54 AM

Jazzlover,. Okay, I'll bite, where is THAT???

Old 05-29-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
Jazzlover,. Okay, I'll bite, where is THAT???
East of Bovina, where else? Or about 25 mi. north of Boyero. Or about 20 mi. south of Thurman. Sorry you asked?

Yes, I have been to all of those places . . .

Old 05-29-2008, 02:46 PM

8 posts, read 15,863 times
Many thanks, dear Jazzlover, Dreaming of Hawaii and Sheridan!
I know that this fantastic forum is not a travel agency, because it's mostly for American people who live and work in Colorado...I hope you don't mind answering this new post.
1) Confronting your posts, I realize that Ouray cannot be skipped.
2) As my second mountain stop, I'm uncertain: in your opinion, is it better Lake City, Steamboat or Crested Butte? I give weight to scenery (if possible, I'd like a view different from Ouray's scenery), to forests, to not too difficult hiking and, last but not least, to good live music (I'm one of the few Italians who like country music).
3) What about Grand County? I know it's gorgeous and I think I could like Grand Lake (in North Italy mountain towns are green and wooded), but is it true than pine beetle brought so many damages to trees?
4) You all say that Grand Junction could be skipped. Would it be madness to lodge in Grand Junction in order to reach Arches Park? I fear the park is overcrowded in August, and people can kill the magic of the spot, in my opinion.
5) I don't know if I will go to Boulder: I'm a liberal, but I hate snobbery and spoilted children. However, what's the weather like in Boulder?
6) About weather, dear Jazzlover: do you mean that in the evening (not in the night) in Ouray or in Crested Butte it's going to be terribly cold?
Many thanks...

Old 05-29-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromMilanoItaly View Post
Many thanks, dear Jazzlover, Dreaming of Hawaii and Sheridan!
I know that this fantastic forum is not a travel agency, because it's mostly for American people who live and work in Colorado...I hope you don't mind answering this new post.
1) Confronting your posts, I realize that Ouray cannot be skipped.

Ouray is beautiful. See here: Ouray Colorado :: Home

2) As my second mountain stop, I'm uncertain: in your opinion, is it better Lake City, Steamboat or Crested Butte? I give weight to scenery (if possible, I'd like a view different from Ouray's scenery), to forests, to not too difficult hiking and, last but not least, to good live music (I'm one of the few Italians who like country music).

Of the three, I would pick Lake City first and Crested Butte second. Finding live music in Lake City might be a challenge. Steamboat is too much of an overgrown resort, though the country around it is pleasant enough--the mountains are more "rounded" and less jagged than around Ouray, Lake City, or Crested Butte.

3) What about Grand County? I know it's gorgeous and I think I could like Grand Lake (in North Italy mountain towns are green and wooded), but is it true than pine beetle brought so many damages to trees?

Grand County has some pretty areas, but the pine beetle is just raising hell with the forests up there. The Grand Lake area is especially hard hit.

4) You all say that Grand Junction could be skipped. Would it be madness to lodge in Grand Junction in order to reach Arches Park? I fear the park is overcrowded in August, and people can kill the magic of the spot, in my opinion.

You can visit Arches from Grand Junction in a day--out and back in one day, but you will spend a lot of time on the road there and back. Also, Arches is one of those places best seen in the "sweet light" of dawn or dusk. During the middle of the day, it's hot and the light is "flat." Moab is a better place to stay than Grand Junction--it will be hot, though.

5) I don't know if I will go to Boulder: I'm a liberal, but I hate snobbery and spoilted children. However, what's the weather like in Boulder?

Not that much different from Denver. Warmish during the day--afternoon showers possible (but less likely in August than farther south in Colorado). Nights cool, but not cold.

6) About weather, dear Jazzlover: do you mean that in the evening (not in the night) in Ouray or in Crested Butte it's going to be terribly cold?
Many thanks...

Depends on one's definition of terribly cold. Typical daytime high would be in the mid-70's to mid-80's F. By evening, down into the 60's--or even 50's if it rains in late afternoon. By dusk, usually in the 50's and cooling rapidly after dark--a light jacket is usually in order. Coldest is usually right before dawn--low to mid-40's. Obviously, there can be variations. One year when I lived in Gunnison, the nighttime low was 21 degrees F. on the first day of summer--June 21st. I've been camping plenty of times at 9,500 to 10,000 feet elevation and had to scrape frost off of my sleeping bag in July and August. Years ago, they had to cancel outside performances one day at the Telluride Jazz Festival (held outside) in early August because it was snowing too hard for the audience to see the stage, and temperature was down to 35 degrees F. So, as they say, dress to handle about anything. Oh, and when the weather is nice, sunscreen is mandatory. You can burn in 20 minutes or less at high altitude.
My answers in red.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:25 PM

Jazzlover,
You're getting on my "last nerve"!! HA!! Took a while, didn't it??
Kidding of course!!

Okay, IF he stayed in Montrose so, he could get to Ouray AND Grand Junction, would that give him time to get to that place?( sorry, I forgot what it was called and, if I go back I'll lose my post)!

AND, where are you flying in to???? This does make a difference!!

I'd still stay southwest Colorado if possible ( I would try to see all these palces in the west then head toward COS instead of Denver!) Much more to see a far as mountains!!

I agree, once again, with JZ about overpriced resort called Steamboat, and it is quite the drive but still..........Strawberry Park and Pearl Lake are pretty awesome!!IMO!!

How long do you have,......2 months, right??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado