U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,219 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm from New York and I'm looking to get out of the city and into more peaceful and quiet surroundings. I'm very interested in Colorado, but am not sure where to start. I like the mountains and the snow, but think the front range area would be way too busy for me and want to avoid the more touristy areas. Any thoughts about Montrose? Grand Junction? (Although, I don't want to be too far out west.) I'm open to any other small mountain towns that you think may make a good fit.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,218 times
Hi, I grew up on the Western Slope and now live on the Front Range and can't wait to get back "home". Grew up just outside of Montrose and went to school at Mesa State College in Grand Junction. Both towns are nice and both are growing at a fairly rapid pace. GJ has an ok mall and just about any store you are looking for, also has smaller towns nearby like Fruita if GJ is too big. There are tons of outdoor things to do, lots of Public lands for ATV and Dirt bike riding, especially in the mountains. Don't get me wrong...the front range in nice but there's no place quite like home. The Western Slope is just a more laid back and peaceful pace. Good luck too you on your move.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:16 PM

90 posts, read 276,514 times
OP - Have you studied the *bunches* of available data in the <www.city-data.com> Home Page? It will help narrow your search ... from the many Western Slope towns.

- KK

Last edited by Kaptain Karl; 02-02-2007 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: Crazy UBB Code!

Old 02-03-2007, 11:43 AM

4 posts, read 14,143 times
Default Grand Junction

I moved to Grand Junction from California 10 years ago. It was a major adjustment for my family. For the first 5 years my daughter - then 10 - and I really hated it here. GJ is pretty conservative. We really felt isolated and out of place. But gradually we've come to appreciate the benefits. We live on 5 acres within 5 minutes of downtown GJ. Be advised though, that will soon be a thing of the past as Grand Junction is starting to look more like Irvine, CA with all the matching earth-tone houses on their postage stamp sized lots. But GJ still offers a lower crime rate, reasonable housing costs when compared to CA, and an ok 4 year liberal arts college (Mesa State). Downside is few jobs unless you want to work for min wage. If I weren't self-employed, I couldn't make it here.

Feel free to ask me about any specifics. We are not very outdoorsy, so won't be able to give you any first hand info on that. Have heard its great here for climbers, skiers, bikers.

Lacesout in Grand Junction, CO

Old 02-04-2007, 09:30 AM

129 posts, read 1,104,825 times
We moved from the Front Range to Montrose a bit over a year ago, and absolutely love it here. If you enjoy hiking, skiing, and other outdoor activities, this area has it all. From Montrose we can easily travel north to Colorado National Monument for hiking & rock climbing or Grand Mesa for hiking & XC skiing (we're not into water sports -- but it would be a great spot for that too). Closer in we have a number of beautiful canyons to explore. Twenty minutes east from our front door, and we're at Black Canyon of the Gunnison (XC skiing, rock climbing, hiking), or we can go play in the Cimarron mountains. To the south we can ice climb at Ouray, go 4-wheeling, hike, climb, ski, etc. To the west, it's really not very far to head to Moab, Canyonlands, Arches, and the other Utah National Parks. And that's just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.

In town, there are lots of clubs, presentations, festivals, performances, etc. People are warm & friendly and not stressed out about traffic jams and smog.

We love it here.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:44 PM

35 posts, read 63,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winglady View Post
We moved from the Front Range to Montrose a bit over a year ago, and absolutely love it here. If you enjoy hiking, skiing, and other outdoor activities, this area has it all. From Montrose we can easily travel north to Colorado National Monument for hiking & rock climbing or Grand Mesa for hiking & XC skiing (we're not into water sports -- but it would be a great spot for that too). Closer in we have a number of beautiful canyons to explore. Twenty minutes east from our front door, and we're at Black Canyon of the Gunnison (XC skiing, rock climbing, hiking), or we can go play in the Cimarron mountains. To the south we can ice climb at Ouray, go 4-wheeling, hike, climb, ski, etc. To the west, it's really not very far to head to Moab, Canyonlands, Arches, and the other Utah National Parks. And that's just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.

In town, there are lots of clubs, presentations, festivals, performances, etc. People are warm & friendly and not stressed out about traffic jams and smog.

We love it here.
Hi Winglady.

The key word in your write-up is "we." I'm not a "we"; I'm a retired single woman. Going alone to all those outdoor places you mention is neither safe (most times) nor enjoyable. I have found no friends here in Montrose in 7 years and am ready to cash it in. I love my beautiful home which overlooks Storm King, the San Juans, and the Uncompahgre, but I seldom leave my property. I can't stand the local, narrow attitudes in this town, nor the politics and hunting/gun mentality (I am an animal lover). So I just use my computer, cable tv, Kindle, and books to exercise my mind and keep in touch with distant friends.

I feel like I'm slowly dying here -- or at least moving to a faster end than if I had the stimulation of good friends close by. Next to the scenery, the only thing I like here is the low property tax rates. But I'd rather pay more and have more things to do -- like take classes at a nice college or attend major league sports. Nobody here likes or understands pro sports. I come from the east coast and so kept my loyalty to my home team intact all these years - now via cable tv subscriptions. Would be nice to have local friends to discuss sports, politics, books, travel, science, and history with. All I meet here are minimum wage people stuck working behind counters. And they care about nothing.

I have nice neighbors, but two of them are retired couples, and the other is a family of 6 -- I don't mix with any of them, being single. I'm a young 65, so please don't suggest the Pavilion -- I'm not that old yet. I ski, but only at Powderhorn, as I don't like the winter drive to Telluride, and their rates are ridiculous. But the drive to Powderhorn is too long. I don't like supporting the oil companies or Arabs.

Glad you found your niche here, but not every newcomer has. You should be aware of both sides, as I like to be.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:51 PM

2,395 posts, read 4,176,056 times
I really like Grand Junction, though I'm always just driving through it. Based on what I know so far I wouldn't mind living there assuming I could get a job. It has very nice access to scenery and mountains if you're into that. Not far from Grand Mesa, not far from Moab, UT, etc. It's a smaller city but big enough to actually have "stuff".

The skiing options there are pretty poor since Powderhorn is the closest resort and is pretty small

Old 12-08-2011, 04:22 PM

10,605 posts, read 11,704,730 times
paging jazzlover...

Old 12-08-2011, 04:29 PM

2,980 posts, read 6,646,401 times
This post is from 2007, an the OP has never returned.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:27 PM

540 posts, read 1,065,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereToNext View Post
Going alone to all those outdoor places you mention is neither safe (most times) nor enjoyable.
You should just bring a gun. You'd be safe. Solitude can be a beautiful thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado