U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 07:23 PM

3 posts, read 13,861 times

Advertisements

Hey Jessica,

I too am a teacher from WI. I taught in the Madison area for almost 3 years and loved it. But I recently moved to PA with my girlfriend, and the teaching market SUCKS out here. No jobs (especially for someone from out of state).

We're considering moving to Colorado as well. But looking around the Boulder area. Just make sure that you get a jump start on getting certified in CO, cause it is a LONG process, and many schools prefer to hire people that already have their license and not someone who's "currently applying".

We'd love to live in FT Collins too (been there a couple times and LOVED it), but my g-friend will probably be going to grad school in Boulder.

I guess I didn't have much of a point to make here, just thought I'd say hi from one Wisconsinite to another.

Good luck and get started on that certification!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 08:08 PM

83 posts, read 902,570 times
Default Teaching

Hello!, I am moving out to the Colorado Springs area from Michigan looking for a teaching job as well. I just graduated and got my Michigan teaching certificate but what steps are required for a Colorado certificate? Do you know of a website or starting point becuase this long-application waiting peroid that you mention has me concerned. Do you have any suggestions?, please reply

Old 01-05-2007, 08:13 PM

Good luck dahlj, I just wanted to say that you seem like a nice person, I am sure you can make some cool new friends but probaly not in the bars!

Old 01-05-2007, 08:16 PM

10 posts, read 32,402 times
https://gateway.cde.state.co.us/portal/page?_pageid=33,34440&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL (broken link)

that is the site you want to go to for all the goods on getting your CO certification. Yes, Good tip.. get started now, because it is a long process!!
Good luck!!

Old 01-07-2007, 12:11 AM

Default Young Teacher Wanting to Move to Colorado!

Hello, anyone have any insight on growing areas in Colorado as far as the middle school or high school social stuides job market for teachers? I graduated from Michigan last month and am a full time sub in the area seeking a "real" job! I am willing to live in several of the major cities but am more concerned with getting a teaching job this spring or summer, please reply with any comments or suggestions!

Old 04-13-2007, 06:36 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,199,760 times
Colorado Springs teachers are starting at $32,000 or so next year. The highest paying district is Fountain Fort Carson School district 8. With that being said though, other districts are very close to it. Very close. It is cheaper to live in Colorado Springs than Denver. You might check it too.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:00 PM

85,041 posts, read 98,964,874 times
Get the job first! Teaching jobs in Colorado are hard to come by, some districts have hundreded of applicants for each job available. You can get inot subbing fairly easily, but I don't know if sub jobs lead to regular jobs or just to more sub jobs.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:08 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,199,760 times
IMO, the teaching market goes through waves. If you are looking at getting hired for next school year, apply now. Positions are open and are being slowly filled currently. Check the school district of your choice and proceed with the application process. Good luck!

One other thing, when you are comparing district salaries, keep in mind the healthcare offered. There are a lot of changes that are going on in the Pikes Peak area where health care is concerned. From what I can tell thus far, singles will still pay nothing for healthcare, but things are changing for families. I was just presented with information about the local districts on health care costs, Widefield District 3 seems to pay more for their employeers, allowing them to keep more of their paycheck. Now who do they have as far as companies- I am not sure.
Please check in with the admin office to find out what healthcare is offered and how it will affect your paycheck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or