U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2007, 11:30 AM

5,091 posts, read 13,189,097 times

Advertisements

I know that Boulder is not a one industry town; it is in my worse list for a University Town; I am college educated and lived in a dorm and had the experiences. I first saw Boulder when I when on a visit from Dallas/Ft. Worth and I loved it and decided to move about 30 years ago. I am originally from New York and yes, a former loud-mouth liberal. Now I may be just a loud-mouth. However, I began to see different things and started to appreciated people from the west and mid-west.

I am also a army veteran and I know how the behavior and some of the dangers of living near an military post and I would not live near one, especially an army infantry post like Fort Carson. Yes, I know there are some good people and interesting military retirees around them.

In the east, where I grew up, one industry towns to me were auto and steel industries. Yes these towns are essential but sometimes it creates a homogeneous characteristics in people and no diversity of thoughts and behavior. I have learned to like differences. A one-industry town can also be tourism, skiing, as in Colorado.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:49 PM

151 posts, read 651,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
...Boulder is ... in my worse list for a University Town; I am college educated and lived in a dorm and had the experiences. I first saw Boulder when I when on a visit from Dallas/Ft. Worth and I loved it and decided to move about 30 years ago.

... no diversity of thoughts and behavior. I have learned to like differences.
30 years ago, most collage-aged youth *everywhere* were liberal. And 30 years later, many of us have drifted towards a more conservative way of thinking. But that doesn't mean we have to demonize liberals. Most liberals are at least as well-intentioned as most conservatives; and there are selfish, judgemental, narrow-minded bigots on both sides of the fence.

Boulder is brimming with a wonderful diversity of thoughts and behavior; full of well-educated, well-rounded and hard-working folks from a wide variety of walks of life, including many from the mid-west. Which makes it a very good place to live ... even if there's one very small area of town with a small group of loud-mouthed, persistently, willfully drunk and disorderly college students (most of whom are also self-proclaimed, rabid conservatives!)

If you haven't lived in Boulder in the last 20 or 30 years, you have no idea what you're talking about. The 1960's and 1970's are long dead, Man. Let them rest in peace. And take a fresh look around at today's reality.

Happy Sunday from a Happy Boulderite.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:08 PM

I live in Arvada and I go to Boulder very frequently because I enjoy some of the shops, the trails close to the city and the great ability to get around without a car. A big advantage of a university community is the support for mass transportation, biking and Boulder is the best. Another advantage is the support for arts, music and intellectual discussions and I attend some events.

Many of the neighborhoods are very inviting and Chautauqua is one of my favorites because it reminds me of home--I grew up in Western New York, near the original site. You will see me, frequently, taking a stroll on the Pearl Street Mall. I have always enjoyed the neighborhood around Boulder Community and the Ideal Market. I even like the hill for the eclectic stores and it reminds me when I was a student; I do avoid it in the evening. So I am very much in touch with Boulder as this was the place I started in Colorado and it seems when I come to visit, it is like coming home.

However, I still see a extreme liberalism in the behavior and the environment of the university and the materialism of the young and the same time some faking those liberal views which many of them will change, if it is to the advantage to make money. I do not enjoy the rowdy, drunk behavior and I did not like it when I was a student and the dangerous way that the young people drive; it makes it dangerous for pedestrians and bicyclist. I have always hated illegal drug use and excessive alcohol use and my opinions have not changed.

And Yes, I know and appreciate that there are many different type of people in Boulder. All, I am saying, that I choose not to live in a university town because of the behavior of many, but not all, of the students--and sometimes it is just the norm or condition of youth; there are so many of the young in Boulder and it is difficult to ignore.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:59 PM

Wow. I have seriously misjudged you. It's very brave of you to so frequently come to big, bad Boulder, with all its dangerous and liberal student drivers, just to enjoy its many positive attributes! How fortunate for you that you live in higher-education-free Arvada where there is no over-educated youth to indulge in "rowdy, drunk behavior", abuse alcohol and illegal drugs, and where no one, young or otherwise, drives in a way that could be dangerous for "pedestrians and bicyclist" or even other drivers.

The truth is that traffic is a menace up and down the entire Front Range, and alcohol/drug abuse and the typical stupidities of youth are not limited to or even necessarily worse in university towns. I have a second home in proudly-university-free Buena Vista, and I can assure you that the behaviors you so deplore are MUCH more prevalent there.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:27 PM

"...there are so many of the young in Boulder and it is difficult to ignore." is what I said and that is why Arvada is comparatively safer, on the roads, then Boulder. Arvada has less of the problems of the stupidities of youth because it has less youth. In addition Boulder is very traffic intensive then Arvada so by the very nature is more difficult to be a pedestrian or bicyclist.

Arvada does not have a university and does not attract some of the bad transients that are hang around. Arvada is more relaxed then Boulder that is good but is bad because it does not have the exciting things to do as in Boulder.

I believe great cities and town have great dirt; they go hand in hand. New York City, Chicago, San Francisco, London,, Hong Kong Madison in Wisconsin, Boulder etc.. Arvada is not a great town and maybe that is the reason is does not have great dirt.

So, I have the best of two worlds, the quiet clean of Arvada, which is very near to the exciting dirt of Boulder. And I also have the maturity in years to appreciate both areas.

Again, the point is not that university towns are all bad, which they are not, but it is not were I would choose to live.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:24 PM

3,776 posts, read 8,260,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganbornandproud View Post
...I have heard ppl talking about the affordable cost of living...sure,places like CA,FL...more expensive yes,and when they move here,they're in hog heaven....but the regular joes like me and my husband and certain members of our extended families...paycheck to paycheck is the only way of life we've got...tourism seems to be all this state has got anymore,along with good colleges in some cities..including UCCS and CC..but tourism seems to be what attracts the masses,then they like it as they can afford the high cost of living,the skiing in the winter,and some to retire in the shadows of the mountains or even have property there...
I haven't visited your state yet - next week will be my first visit to Denver - but on paper, the Denver metro area seems to have more than just tourism business going for it. Denver MSA ranked in the top 15 for best markets for small business development (#11 I think) and in the the top 10 for best places for women business owners. This tells me that jobs are there and the area is likely to weather economic downturns. Additionally, several Denver metro areas cities ranked high on various Top Places To Live lists in 2006 (Colorado Springs topped one, Ft Collins topped another). That sort of recognition indicates to me that the metro area HAS to have more going for it than just tourism. And believe me, living in Florida, I know what a totally-tourism based economy is like.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,099 times
I lived in Kremmling and it was a wonderful place to live. The people are very friendly. The town is very charming. I wish I never left there. Although it can get quite cold. If your looking for Mayberry in th Rockies thats where you want to live!!!!

Old 08-13-2007, 11:37 PM

23 posts, read 131,241 times
I lived in boulder for 6 years and the minute I turned 30 I HAD TO GET OUT. It's a great place to be in your 20s -- after that it just gets annoying. Unless you enjoy watching kids pose. There are plenty of other better places to live long term in Colorado for active, healthy folks who enjoy the outdoors. Good luck!

Old 08-14-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally123 View Post
I lived in boulder for 6 years and the minute I turned 30 I HAD TO GET OUT. It's a great place to be in your 20s -- after that it just gets annoying. Unless you enjoy watching kids pose. There are plenty of other better places to live long term in Colorado for active, healthy folks who enjoy the outdoors. Good luck!
Kids pose everywhere. I'm 60 and find Boulder very entertaining and amusing. I like Boulder, in great part for its unique characters and characteristics, but obviously it isn't for everyone. It is true that there are lots of bland places in Colorado that are much more average in a nice and comfortable sort of way. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:28 PM

3,479 posts, read 6,189,442 times
I love how livecontent makes Arvada out to be this luxurious city when in reality, at least the times I have driven down Wadsworth, it looks like an old run-down place with lots of loitering people and day laborers on the corner. That's not to say that Arvada probably does not have very nice areas (which I have seen as well). But, let's get real here people and stop demonizing another city because of college students, young professionals, and liberalism.

Bottom line - all cities have their good and bad areas. Arvada is not some safe haven in all of Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado