U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2007, 11:43 PM

220 posts, read 666,546 times

Advertisements

Having logged thousands of miles prior to moving here, we visited many, many towns. Some were downright scary and I have stories to prove it, while others were enchanting and very story-book.

First, we'll start with the negative experiences and improve as we go:

1- Greeley. We drove there in the dead of winter searching for the elusive Dunkin' Donuts. Turns out, it had been shut down years ago, but stink of urea was so overwhelming, I couldn't believe anyone could tolerate it. Then we visited #2

2- Commerce City. If the smell doesn't kill you, the noxious content and particulates will.

3- Ward. One of the worst gut feelings in my life. Can't place a finger on it, but visit and close your eyes- you'll feel it too. The worst gut feeling in Colorado took place in Leadville. There is some bad karma there!

4- Rand. Small population and some rather unsavory characters.

5- Rawlins, WY. Not in Colorado, but so bad, I had to write about it. First, the Sinclair refinery is there, so that may have a lot to do with it. However, I have a good story about my first stop there: I stop in the general store which appears to be bustling and head to the meat counter to order a hero/hoagie/whateveryoucallitwhereyou are. Greetings are exchanged with a rosie cheeked sixty-something whom I ask to make me a turkey and american hero with tomatoes. Yum, I am thinking, but the request is met with a blank stare. Perplexed, I ask what the issue is. She says, "I don't know where they get that bread". So I point to it on the cabinet behind her, but she ignores me and begins to search the freezer. Even more dumbfounded, I then say "Ms. Do you make sandwiches at home?" She says yes. I say "Please just make me a sandwich the same way you do at home". She says "I wouldn't know what to charge you." NOW, the woman before me walked away with a few pounds of meat, and I am dumbfounded at how I cannot get a sandwich of any kind, so I throw my hands up and walk away. Must have been the fact that I was clearly not a local..

To make matters worse, on the return leg of our trip, we stop in another section of town at about 10pm. This time, we're in search of a simple cup of coffee and decide that the best bet would be the hopping diner that is well-lit. I walk in and speak to the girl at the to-go counter. She smiles with a mouth full of rotted teeth that only Benny hill could have imitated. Repulsed, I ask for two large cups of coffee to go. A beautiful young girl around 25 is summoned who is told two cups of coffee to go. She looks at the coffee machine which is down to about 1 fluid ounce and says "Hey Judy, (the waitress at the other end of the bar) we need some coffee". The reply: you'd better make some then. At this point an argument ensues and the pretty girl decides to make the coffee. What does she do? Removes the pot and puts the styrofoam cup directly under the new batch of grinds and pushes the button. Oh boy, we're havin' 151 proof coffee now.... So I tell the woman with the poor grill to please ask the other woman to let the whole pot come down so we're not drinkin nitro. The pretty girl just stares back when the door behind me busts open and a hysterical woman who claims to have been walking for 5 hours because her car broke down somewhere in the desert is screaming. People entering the diner pay her no mind and sit down to eat. In the background, I hear the music from the twilight zone and break north over to the McDonalds where I am greeted by a gent who probably just finished his bid at the local prison. He is a character and whips us up two cups o' joe to go. Note to self- NEVER STOP THERE AGAIN!

Most beautiful/nicest places:

1- Nicest place to live: Fort Collins. Realisitic property values; a college; modern amenities; real life.

2- Most Beautiful: Breckenridge is gorgeous, as is Steamboat, the back country East of Aspen, Ken Caryl Valley, Estes Park and RMNP. Grand Lake is breathtaking, but very cold for the better part of the year. Anything within 15 miles of the Rockies/Flatirons takes my breath away. Boulder Canyon also has tremendous beauty. If you could put a house on RT 6, that would be a fun place to live.

More to come...

Old 08-31-2007, 11:14 AM

8,320 posts, read 23,205,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemental View Post
Having logged thousands of miles prior to moving here, we visited many, many towns. Some were downright scary and I have stories to prove it, while others were enchanting and very story-book.

First, we'll start with the negative experiences and improve as we go:

1- Greeley. We drove there in the dead of winter searching for the elusive Dunkin' Donuts. Turns out, it had been shut down years ago, but stink of urea was so overwhelming, I couldn't believe anyone could tolerate it. Then we visited #2

2- Commerce City. If the smell doesn't kill you, the noxious content and particulates will.

3- Ward. One of the worst gut feelings in my life. Can't place a finger on it, but visit and close your eyes- you'll feel it too. The worst gut feeling in Colorado took place in Leadville. There is some bad karma there!

4- Rand. Small population and some rather unsavory characters.

5- Rawlins, WY. Not in Colorado, but so bad, I had to write about it. First, the Sinclair refinery is there, so that may have a lot to do with it. However, I have a good story about my first stop there: I stop in the general store which appears to be bustling and head to the meat counter to order a hero/hoagie/whateveryoucallitwhereyou are. Greetings are exchanged with a rosie cheeked sixty-something whom I ask to make me a turkey and american hero with tomatoes. Yum, I am thinking, but the request is met with a blank stare. Perplexed, I ask what the issue is. She says, "I don't know where they get that bread". So I point to it on the cabinet behind her, but she ignores me and begins to search the freezer. Even more dumbfounded, I then say "Ms. Do you make sandwiches at home?" She says yes. I say "Please just make me a sandwich the same way you do at home". She says "I wouldn't know what to charge you." NOW, the woman before me walked away with a few pounds of meat, and I am dumbfounded at how I cannot get a sandwich of any kind, so I throw my hands up and walk away. Must have been the fact that I was clearly not a local..

To make matters worse, on the return leg of our trip, we stop in another section of town at about 10pm. This time, we're in search of a simple cup of coffee and decide that the best bet would be the hopping diner that is well-lit. I walk in and speak to the girl at the to-go counter. She smiles with a mouth full of rotted teeth that only Benny hill could have imitated. Repulsed, I ask for two large cups of coffee to go. A beautiful young girl around 25 is summoned who is told two cups of coffee to go. She looks at the coffee machine which is down to about 1 fluid ounce and says "Hey Judy, (the waitress at the other end of the bar) we need some coffee". The reply: you'd better make some then. At this point an argument ensues and the pretty girl decides to make the coffee. What does she do? Removes the pot and puts the styrofoam cup directly under the new batch of grinds and pushes the button. Oh boy, we're havin' 151 proof coffee now.... So I tell the woman with the poor grill to please ask the other woman to let the whole pot come down so we're not drinkin nitro. The pretty girl just stares back when the door behind me busts open and a hysterical woman who claims to have been walking for 5 hours because her car broke down somewhere in the desert is screaming. People entering the diner pay her no mind and sit down to eat. In the background, I hear the music from the twilight zone and break north over to the McDonalds where I am greeted by a gent who probably just finished his bid at the local prison. He is a character and whips us up two cups o' joe to go. Note to self- NEVER STOP THERE AGAIN!

Most beautiful/nicest places:

1- Nicest place to live: Fort Collins. Realisitic property values; a college; modern amenities; real life.

2- Most Beautiful: Breckenridge is gorgeous, as is Steamboat, the back country East of Aspen, Ken Caryl Valley, Estes Park and RMNP. Grand Lake is breathtaking, but very cold for the better part of the year. Anything within 15 miles of the Rockies/Flatirons takes my breath away. Boulder Canyon also has tremendous beauty. If you could put a house on RT 6, that would be a fun place to live.

More to come...
Too bad about your bad experience in Rawlins. There actually are good places to eat there and a lot of people unlike the ones you describe. Apparently, you found neither. Before you compain too much about Rawlins/Sinclair, you might remember that the fuel in your tank very well could have come from that refinery, and the asphalt on the road you're driving on (just about anywhere in Wyoming or central and northern Colorado) almost certainly did.

As to Greeley, yes, it can smell sometimes. Remember that, the next time you're eating a hamburger. There's a good chance it came from the meat plant in Greeley, and the steer or heifer it came from spent time in a feedlot near Greeley. Good thing that SOMEBODY is willing to live there or some of us might go hungry.

Commerce City? Well, not my favorite place, either. But, again, the gas in your car could have come from one of the refineries there.

You see, not everyone has the option of living in the sanitized, sterile yuppie ghettos where the NIMBY's have eliminated any industry that actually produces something tangible of value. You know, we all might be a little more "sensitive" about the resources we consume and what it takes to make what we need to live if we all had to have a factory or two producing the stuff right niext to our back yard. Years ago, a friend of mine who is a sanitation engineer told me he had the ultimate solution for solving water pollution. His answer: just require the town's water intake to be DOWNSTREAM from the sewer plant discharge.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:04 PM

151 posts, read 615,566 times
I love Ward and Leadville, in part because they are so obviously *not* suburbia! They are both true mountain towns with character (and characters) and some very nice people live in both places. Maybe you mistook the fact that some people live in trailers for "bad karma", but I assure you, you are mistaken.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:58 PM

80,048 posts, read 88,131,192 times
I am not overly fond of Ward, but I love Leadville. DH used to work for AMAX, the molybdenum mining co. He worked out of Golden, but had to go up to the mine in Leadville quite often. We could go up there and gather firewood on their land. It was neat! An authentic little Rocky Mtn town.

Ft. Collins, on the other hand, is not my cup of tea. Congested, not particularly attractive, and a college town to boot. To each his own, I guess.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:48 AM

310 posts, read 207,215 times
Default Just had to get in on this thread......

Worst places to live in Colorado.....entire Front Range and all points East. Especially ....Commerce City or in some dive on East Colfax....yeah, Greeley too.

Best places to live in Colorado......Depends on what you seek, job, commute.....but if you work in the Denver-metro area.....I would say Conifer.....unless you love city life and wish to be in the midst of all the amenities, etc. then....yeah...Denver.....depends on soooo many things.
Or....if you either don't mind a lengthy commute into the Tech. Center or work in Colo. Springs......I would say that Larkspur or Black Forest/Monument would be great.....or Woodland Park or Westcreek (peace & quiet) if you work in the Springs?
Never been in SW Colorado.....but I personally liked the mountain towns of Dillon/Silverthorne in Summit County and Estes Park was kind of nice too....but touristy.
Personally, I would think that towns like Buena Vista or Salida might be possibilities that wouldn't be overpriced or are resort-dominated for a chance to experience the way Colorado "was" once.....but good luck on employment if that is something of concern.....which it certainly is for MOST of us.
Retirement & PEACE/QUIET/SCENERY........maybe Lake City or Creede?

It really is a shame to me though what has happened over the past few decades......NOT just to Colorado.....but the ENTIRE country.....in regards to overpopulation, sprawl, housing prices, immigration (legal and illegal....contributing to overpopulation), traffic, road rage, inflation, recessions, outsourcing of mfg. jobs.....and mostly.....pure and simple GREED!!!!
Sooooo MANY things that IMO.....are only contributing and fueling a LOT of RUDENESS, ANGER, RESENTMENT, STRESS and DISILLUSIONMENT, with many, many people.....its evidence is EVERYWHERE.....some places more than others.....more so in URBAN areas than rural....and if there is anyone out there who truly does NOT notice or agree......good for YOU.....YOU must have found Utopia.....or at least you did in your head!
OR.....MONEY....DOES BUY HAPPINESS and provides you the security blanket you need to keep your head buried in the sand....happily oblivious to all the issues/problems REAL people are well aware of.....but as long as YOUR happy.....who cares about ANYONE else!
Not referencing ANYONE in particular on this board.....as people KNOW WHO they are and what they believe already.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:23 AM

8,320 posts, read 23,205,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytripper View Post
It really is a shame to me though what has happened over the past few decades......NOT just to Colorado.....but the ENTIRE country.....in regards to overpopulation, sprawl, housing prices, immigration (legal and illegal....contributing to overpopulation), traffic, road rage, inflation, recessions, outsourcing of mfg. jobs.....and mostly.....pure and simple GREED!!!!
Sooooo MANY things that IMO.....are only contributing and fueling a LOT of RUDENESS, ANGER, RESENTMENT, STRESS and DISILLUSIONMENT, with many, many people.....its evidence is EVERYWHERE.....some places more than others.....more so in URBAN areas than rural....and if there is anyone out there who truly does NOT notice or agree......good for YOU.....YOU must have found Utopia.....or at least you did in your head!
OR.....MONEY....DOES BUY HAPPINESS and provides you the security blanket you need to keep your head buried in the sand....happily oblivious to all the issues/problems REAL people are well aware of.....but as long as YOUR happy.....who cares about ANYONE else!
Not referencing ANYONE in particular on this board.....as people KNOW WHO they are and what they believe already.
Amen, Skytripper. It all boils down to this: We Americans have gotten lazy, hedonistic, self-centered, and greedy--and we and those who follow us are going to have to pay for it. Those who saw the "Roaring 20's" disintegrate into the Great Depression learned a bitter lesson--you can't "borrow yourself rich." Apparently, most every American has forgotten that. They're about to get reminded . . .

Who knows? In the coming years, the best places in Colorado may turn out to be the places where people might actually be able to grow some food to eat.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:10 AM

835 posts, read 2,440,453 times
skytripper i have to say i agree 110% with your entire paragraph, as i myself am trying to find my utopia hoefully thats evergreen colorado!!!

Old 09-04-2007, 12:33 PM

10,929 posts, read 19,083,852 times
Quote:
Worst places to live in Colorado.....entire Front Range and all points East.

So, when you say "all points east", are you referring to Seibert, Flaggler, Wild Horse, Brush, Rush, Vona, Joes, Stratton, Haxtun, Merino, Holyoke, Wray, Bethune, Burlington, Cheyenne Wells, Arapahoe, Towner, Sheridan Lake, Brandon, Chivington, Kit Carson, Eads, Wiley, Hartman, Holly (poor Holly, haven't they been picked on enough this year?), Walsh, Springfield, McClave, Hasty, Kornman, Grenada, Kim, Branson, Yoder, Pumpkin Patch, Karvel, Boone, Swink, Manzanola, Cheraw, Vilas, Otis, Bristol, just to name a few?

You think these folks out east care much about Urban Sprawl, except how they might become victimized by it? You think they have much problem with "Road Rage" and "Overpopulation in these towns that are "ALL POINTS EAST"?

Go ahead and dog the Front Range all you want, but why do you want to go and involve poor Eastern Colorado? Are you sure this is what you meant?

Last edited by McGowdog; 09-04-2007 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: Punctuation

Old 09-04-2007, 12:36 PM

10,929 posts, read 19,083,852 times
Quote:
Worst places to live in Colorado.....entire Front Range and all points East. Especially ....Commerce City or in some dive on East Colfax....yeah, Greeley too.

Best places to live in Colorado......Depends on what you seek, job, commute.....but if you work in the Denver-metro area.....I would say Conifer.....unless you love city life and wish to be in the midst of all the amenities, etc. then....yeah...Denver.....depends on soooo many things.
Or....if you either don't mind a lengthy commute into the Tech. Center or work in Colo. Springs......I would say that Larkspur or Black Forest/Monument would be great.....or Woodland Park or Westcreek (peace & quiet) if you work in the Springs?
Never been in SW Colorado.....but I personally liked the mountain towns of Dillon/Silverthorne in Summit County and Estes Park was kind of nice too....but touristy.
Personally, I would think that towns like Buena Vista or Salida might be possibilities that wouldn't be overpriced or are resort-dominated for a chance to experience the way Colorado "was" once.....but good luck on employment if that is something of concern.....which it certainly is for MOST of us.
Retirement & PEACE/QUIET/SCENERY........maybe Lake City or Creede?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Amen, Skytripper. It all boils down to this: We Americans have gotten lazy, hedonistic, self-centered, and greedy--and we and those who follow us are going to have to pay for it. Those who saw the "Roaring 20's" disintegrate into the Great Depression learned a bitter lesson--you can't "borrow yourself rich." Apparently, most every American has forgotten that. They're about to get reminded . . .

Who knows? In the coming years, the best places in Colorado may turn out to be the places where people might actually be able to grow some food to eat.
Amen to that, Brutha! AND THERE WILL BE WAILING AND KNASHING OF TEETH!

Old 09-04-2007, 10:39 PM

2 posts, read 17,083 times
Wink An economic perspective

As a very general economic principle, the "best" places to live in Coloarado are those with the highest prices for housing, and the "worst" places to live are those with the lowest prices for housing.

These housing prices are established by the supply of residential land in every community, and by the demand for residential land by various groups of people with differing preferences.

If you happen to be someone whose preference is to live in isolation on the plains of Eastern Colorado or the high plains of Western Colorado, with great views of sagebrush and "big skies" but little water, employment opportunities, or anything else, then you will be able to find very cheap real estate, because the supply is high and the demand is low.

The same is true is you are willing to live in communities that are home to "dirty" (but essential) industries such as livestock processing, mining, and petroleum refining. (Personally, I'd classify "gaming" (gambling) as another "dirty" industry that is non-essential.)

On the other hand, if your preference is to live in a place that has gorgeous mountain views unobstructed by other people's houses or commercial/industrial development, and also has amenities such as restaurants, shops, art galleries, live theaters, pedestrian/bicycle trails, trout streams and ski slopes, then there will be a limited supply and a high demand that will make real estate EXTREMELY expensive. Think Aspen and Vail.

Both Aspen and Vail are at the heads of valleys in the watershed of the Colorado River that meet at Glenwood Springs. Real estate prices are highest at Aspen and Vail (where they are determined by the national market for luxury second homes) and taper off towards Glenwood Springs and west of there in communities such as Silt, Rifle, and Battlement Mesa.

I am wealthy but not super-rich, am mostly-retired, and have my only home in one of these "down valley" communities. For me, it's the best place on earth. But the unfortunate reality is that there isn't enough room here for everyone in the U.S. and on earth who wouold like to live here, and for better or worse, the things that prevent them all from moving here are the high real estate prices and the very limited number of jobs that pay enough to enable "working people" (as opposed to wealty retirees) to live here.

But before you younger people criticize this situation too much -- bear in mind that growing older is traumatic, but gaining the wealth required to live in a really beautiful place is some compensation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado