U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 03:39 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,173,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemental View Post
Why are so many beggars tolerated at stop lights in Boulder? There was this guy a few days back with a sign that said "Having trouble with the rent". It was mid-day, I was working and wondered if he were at work, would he have trouble with the rent?? I do not like being approached at the light by people asking me for money while the kids are in the car. Why is this behavior acceptable in Boulder?
some people are mentally ill and very incapable of keeping a job. You would not want these people working with you. Its not pretty, but in many cases this really is humiliating to them too, and its a whole lot better than watching them in a crime scene. then there are some that were normal people once who made some bad choices and got into drugs or alcohol. Just go on with your life and if you don' t like it, well look at them and think about how lucky you are and drive on. Life is too short, it could be you someday, ya just never know. If you are afraid, keep your window up and don't make eye contact. I have never been bothered with my window up.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:17 AM

13,712 posts, read 21,537,667 times
I pretend that they are God in disguise and give them a buck or five.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:37 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,173,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I pretend that they are God in disguise and give them a buck or five.
interesting LOL

Old 10-10-2007, 11:27 AM

85,041 posts, read 98,964,874 times
A little story: This happened in Colorado Springs, not Boulder. We went into a fast food restaurant (I don't remember the chain) to get a quick lunch. A homeless man was begging for food just outside the door. We ordered our food, and I could not understand why DH bought an extra sandwich. When we walked out, he gave it to the guy! DH is a very conservative guy, not given to contributing to charity, etc, but I guess he felt sorry for the guy. Another time in COS, he gave a homeless guy some money (also at a fast food joint, I wonder what it is about them down there?).

Old 10-10-2007, 01:55 PM

16 posts, read 61,734 times
Nadine, I like your taste. Where do you live and what would you suggest for me? I am a single female, early 50's (kids grown and gone), I enjoy smaller towns, quiet but not dead like the desert type areas... I still need to work and hope to find friends similar to me. I am from Michigan but I am NOT looking for a lot of snow and cold so maybe Colorado is out for me. Someone told me Buena Vista saw little snow but it may be too pricey for me. I just want simple comforts and prefer milder climates. I love to bike, swim, fish, maybe cross-country ski... I love being outside and hope to live in a small home or cabin. Any suggestions?

Old 12-06-2007, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 20,398 times
Default Ridgway/Ouray area

As to best or worst places to live in Colorado, does anyone have any thoughts about the Ridgway/Ouray area? THANKS!

Old 12-07-2007, 05:14 AM

12,853 posts, read 24,523,732 times
Rudgway/Ouray is the most beautiful place I've ever seen (and I am sort of gourmet for mountains).

Housing there has gotten quite expensive, and work is an issue. The local enonomy is not at all well-rounded. It would be most unwise to move there without a clear plan for making a living.

Montrose, about 30 miles away (and 2,000 feet lower) has more of a developed economy- community hospital, etc. Housing there has gone up. I guess you could livei in Ouray/Ridgway and drive down to Montrose (again, if you had a clear job plan) but winter driving could be rugged.

I considered moving out there more than once. As an RN, I figured work wouldn't be a problem. But even in Montrose, there was basically no detox/psychiatric work. I met two RNs who lived in Ouray and drove 100 miles to Grand Junction to work 3 12-hour shifts (sleeping in a motel or on-call room) and then spending the rest of their week in Ouray.

Of note, it gets dark much earlier in Ouray in the winter due to the very high mountains so close to the city. A year-round friend there says the early/long darkness really gets to him.

It does seem like a very wholesome place for a family. Maybe I think that because I think that being in the mountain environment, with animals and weather and things so much bigger than our little lives really helps people of all ages to gain perseptive and respect.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:44 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,217,845 times
Default Best: western slope worst: douglas county/c sprgs

I have lived in denver, indian hills, and colo springs since 1971, and traveled the entire state 9 years.

The area from Denver south to Colorado Springs is the worst part of the state. Even the eastern plains are better because at least there are beautiful grassy open plains and open sky and the people are nice.

The best parts are Durango, Delta (small town near great mountains and Utah), and the Buena Vista-Salida area.

If you want a big city then denver is it.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:26 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,872,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
The area from Denver south to Colorado Springs is the worst part of the state.
Uh-Huh, ya right. The worst part of the state. Wrong again.

MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2006: Colorado Springs, CO snapshot

Colorado Springs CO, Best Places For Business 2006 - Forbes.com

Douglas County richest in nation/ Two-income families, high-tech Gazette, The (Colorado Springs) - Find Articles

Where the jobs are - 18. Douglas County, Colo. (18) - CNNMoney.com

Real Estate Blog - Where do you want to live? Consider Douglas County Colorado

MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2007: Castle Rock, CO snapshot

Here's a shot about a half mile hike up from Palmer Lake

Greenland Open Space

http://www.coloradorunnermag.com/images/features/Issue12_Greenland_1.JPG (broken link)http://www.coloradorunnermag.com/images/features/Issue12_Greenland_2.JPG (broken link)

Palmer Divide, CO

http://www.jonesranchlonghorns.com/jrpremium66.jpg (broken link)

How about these orange trains huffing up the Palmer Divide?

http://www.railpictures.net/images/images2/5/5638_pushing_empties_at_Greenland_CO.jpg.94340.thu mb (broken link)

Here's Palmer Lake itself.

Another cool shot of a train about halfway up from Larkspur near Palmer Lake

Larkspur

Last edited by Charles; 12-08-2007 at 08:56 AM..

Old 12-08-2007, 02:39 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,846,921 times
Wink Ridgeway & Ouray

Quote:
As to best or worst places to live in Colorado, does anyone have any thoughts about the Ridgeway/Ouray area?

They are relatively close together but distinctly different. Both are small but there is almost certainly more development now in the vicinity of Ridgeway. This possibly in large part because there is room for it.

Ridgeway is more or less on the flat in an area of small hills. Kind of broken mesa country and verging on semi-arid, but with enough precipitation to enjoy good pasture in the vicinity. It has grown some but the town proper about the old town square has a western picturesque charm; I believe this also the location where they filmed a portion of John Wayne's 1969 movie 'True Grit.' I've also heard that the late actor Dennis Weaver, who used to own an earthship house above Taos, NM, later relocated and built another earthship house somewhere near Ridgeway.

Ridgeway is at the intersection of US 550 and CO 62, and if taking CO 62 towards Telluride even before leaving town one has begun to ascend hills then mountains towards the divide down into Placerville. It is all lovely country if it suites you; certainly some expensive ranches in the direction of Telluride. Even if not exactly in the mountains, from most anywhere you would enjoy a panoramic vista of the rugged San Juan mountains to the south. Ridgeway is also fairly close to a large reservoir, and such recreation.

Of the two towns, I'd think you would find the least expensive housing in Ridgeway. It has developed but one might still find something at a relatively modest price, possibly. Something more problematic would be employment, as not many options in either Ridgeway or Ouray. If enterprising, you might come up with something, only not as many options as a larger community would offer.

In sum, I'd say if you want to play cowboy or otherwise don't want a bunch of neighbors horning in on you, Ridgeway might be a great place.

There is a large wooden sign just south of Ouray, up on the mountainside above town, that says Ouray is the 'Switzerland of America.' It was probably put up by the town fathers, but in this instance such hyperbole is actually true, if somewhat understated. In many respects Ouray and the mountains surrounding it does look like something out of Switzerland.

For one thing, Ouray is at the head of a box canyon, and even as the road north passes through a canyon that becomes less high the further from town, it is some distance until they draw back to allow the narrow valley to spread out into verdant pasture. The effect in town is to be surrounded on all sides by very tall and steep mountains. More or less in a small uneven pocket, little of Ouray is actually flat but rather most streets and houses on gently sloping hills.

It is a naturally beautiful setting with the Uncompahgre river flowing through the center of town and out to the north. Directly south of town US 550 begins winding up into the mountains towards Red Mountain Pass and eventually Silverton. A short ways south of town the road passes through a small tunnel and also nearby Bear Creek Falls, which I believe the location of the old tollbooth, as the highway initially a toll road. There is a lot of history in the region.

Ouray is also notable for the natural hot springs which issue from the very heart of town. Several different motels not only heat their rooms but also outdoor hot tubs with this natural spring water. The town itself also has a large round public pool which is sourced from hot springs.

Ouray is an old mining town, and even as it has largely disappeared there may still be a little hard rock mining still done. Most all these mines were way up in the mountains, with a rich history associated with them. Even if primarily a tourist town now, Ouray still bares the imprint of its past, perhaps most notably in the many brick and wood Victorian businesses and houses still evident. In many respects, and particularly as to scenery, it is a picturesque town.

While a few tourists come winter, most of them evident during summer. Then, lots of activity, perhaps notably Jeep rides, either as a tour or private, along several challenging 4x4 roads near town. As there is no downhill skiing nearby, Ouray largely slumbers come winter, often under a thick blanket of white snow. Due the location, never as much sun as another local even in summer, and certainly less come winter. There will be, but counted in hours; more a case of watching the sun touch the high peaks above town to pass perhaps all too briefly across the town proper before ascending yet more mountains on the far side.

Many retirees make Ouray home, and for many of them possibly near ideal. Certainly a beautiful, largely tranquil place. Someone with other interests or needs, like work, might find it challenging. Again, if intent on it and creative one might find a way to work there; the most likely route as a business owner catering to tourists. But also bare in mind that Ouray does not, nor likely to, have the breadth of shops, activity and energy that someplace, similar but diametrically different, such as Telluride would. Different worlds in many respects, even if in geographic situation similar.

Ridgeway or Ouray, and particularly Ouray, certainly worth a visit. Whether one might remain longer to actually live perhaps dictated by happenstance, fate and desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado