U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 08:08 PM

214 posts, read 1,173,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
My Fave is CANON CITY!!! YEP!! Get anywhere in under an 1/2 hour, but, it will be the place to be and soon!! Maybe I won't like it as much in the next few years but, at least I have my home there!!
I tend to agree with you. I said it before we bought our first house there. Then the HD went in...I bought a second one. I call it "free market research"

Old 03-07-2008, 05:25 AM

2,864 posts, read 7,097,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism166 View Post
Did the US Army take your property yet? I have some good friends that live near Walsenburg and fear the army take over. A matter of fact if the US army ever took over Branson and its school, well there be no more education here in southern colorado. All the other schools are very fowl.
No, actually I haven't heard anything about it at all. I don't think they could anyway, cause there's some historical early spanish adobe houses on the property, and a small graveyard as well.

It's rather unique.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:03 AM

3 posts, read 7,931 times
Default considering moving to Western slope

My husband and I are considering moving to the Western Slope of Colorado from NY> He has been offered a Great Job and we are looking to get out of the NY rat race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigirl View Post
I've always heard of Craig referred to as the "armpit" of Colorado lol. I lived there for a few months and I'd have to agree. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're looking to live in a place with some of the coldest temperatures in the country, a terrible job market, and a major drug problem!

Since I'm not sure exactly what you are/aren't looking for, here's my take on a few places:

Places I'd never live:
Craig (for reasons listed above)
Greeley (stinky and bad crime rates)
Cortez (just not an attractive town to me, but it may have changed since I was there last)
Delta (seems very run-down to me)
Gunnison (Freaking cold and not a great job market, close to one of my favorite ski resorts Crested Butte though)

Places I'd live in (depending on certain factors):
Front Range (If you need to work, pretty much from Colorado Springs north to Fort Collins is for the most part nice, including much of Denver)
Grand Junction
Durango area (including Bayfield)
Pagosa Springs (gorgeous but not a great place if you need a job)
Glenwood Springs area
Resort towns like Steamboat, Aspen, Vail (If you need only a so-so job market, are an avid skiier, and can afford it)

Old 03-19-2008, 09:06 AM

3 posts, read 7,931 times
Am I Going To Start Talking To Myself, Or Pulling My Hair Out If I Move To Colorado From Ny???

Old 03-19-2008, 09:20 AM

22 posts, read 149,412 times
Hmmmm. Colorado. Lived there for 14 years. First Boulder, then Loveland. Worked in Greeley. If I had to pick the BEST place to live in Colorado, I would say FIRST is Ft. Collins. Next would be Durango. Third would be Colorado Springs. Hope that helps. :-)

Old 03-19-2008, 09:31 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyk1952 View Post
Am I Going To Start Talking To Myself, Or Pulling My Hair Out If I Move To Colorado From Ny???
You may like it fine, but it will be a HUGE culture shock. Some people adapt--some don't. I knew a fellow and his fiancé who moved to the Western Slope (Grand Junction) when he was transferred there from upstate New York. He loved it, she hated it. He was an avid hunter, fisherman, etc. She liked shopping, theater, etc. Within two years, she was gone--relationship ended. He's still there--married a local native. The climate, the culture--most everything is different from the East.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:10 PM

2,864 posts, read 7,097,466 times
well, I love Colorado springs. But worst area. By far, Limon. Looks like Deliverance.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:18 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,167,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyk1952 View Post
I am from New York and been in Colorado for almost 30 years. I grew up near Buffalo, went to school along th Hudson: Albany, Hyde Park and in Binghamton on the Southern Tier. Born, lived and worked in NYC.

I live near Denver and it is much different than the Hudson River valley. However, Denver is the biggest city in the west and has some amenities that Grand Junction and the Western Slope does not. The Western Slope is indeed a marvelous place to me; it has many advantages that Denver does not--warmer weather and less people--but for some that may be a disadvantage.

I remember there was this student who flew from Grand Junction to go to school in Hyde Park--he kept saying "it is a jungle here". That is one of the big diffferences to accept between the Hudson Valley and the Western Slope of Colorado--very little trees and very little water.

The land is less fertile in Colorado. The Hudson River dominates the area of NY--there are no large bodies of water or navigable rivers in Colorado. Colorado is a semi-arid, to semi-arid area and that includes the mountains. The mountains are not lush with trees and undergrowth--it is called the Rocky Mountains for a reason. I keep saying this because many people do not perceive--that Denver is on the Great Plains and not in the Mountains; most people live on the semi-arid high plains in Colorado, not in the mountains and that includes Grand Junction.

There is an big difference in culture because New York State is so overwhelmed by the massive influence of New York City and the people and their characteristics. Colorado does not have that, for good and for bad.

I would suggest accepting Colorado for what it has, and what it does not have; appreciate that having less may be sometimes better than having more. Be aware that what you initially perceive as less, may in truth be more.

It would be helpful for New Yorker to forgot phrases like "in New we.." New York has...", It is not like New York because it...", It is not like we do in New York...". What I have learned, is to talk less, listen more, and talk not so loudly. In that way I have come to be accepted, and now I considered myself a Coloradan.

Coming to the west from the east is climbing a big height; both physically and figuratively, you will be better if you never look down--so come and do not look back, from the altitude of Colorado with the attitude of New York. Thus you may
Livecontent

Old 04-03-2008, 09:24 AM
faa

7 posts, read 31,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I pretend that they are God in disguise and give them a buck or five.
I actually really like this thinking but since I live in Boulder if I were to do this I'd have no money to raise my kidshttp://pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/smilies/redface.gif

Old 04-03-2008, 10:01 AM

13,632 posts, read 21,494,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
You may like it fine, but it will be a HUGE culture shock. Some people adapt--some don't. I knew a fellow and his fiancé who moved to the Western Slope (Grand Junction) when he was transferred there from upstate New York. He loved it, she hated it. He was an avid hunter, fisherman, etc. She liked shopping, theater, etc. Within two years, she was gone--relationship ended. He's still there--married a local native. The climate, the culture--most everything is different from the East.
Prayer answered if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado