U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 04:33 PM

9,954 posts, read 35,909,086 times

Advertisements

Hilarious! and spot on, too.

You forgot all the folks driving high end luxo or sport cars that drive them 20 mph everywhere so you can get a better chance to see them flaunt their dough. Or the soccer moms who drive 5-10 under the speed limit in their SUV just to prove how much more environmentally aware they are, making sure they block you if you try to pass.

Boulder's been that way since at least 1965 when it started with the limited growth attitude for exclusivity.

And, I don't find it that great a place to go to school back then, either.

Maybe I just couldn't warm up to all the ultra-liberal faculty and potheads (that's redundant), or the smack freaks, or the psycedelic experiences, or the vegans and the eastern religious cults, or the street people/bums.

I wanted an education, but not all the baggage that came with boulder.

Beautiful countryside, but that was all. Couldn't wait to get out of there. It was cheaper to finish up by living in Denver and commuting to Boulder than it was to live in Boulder ....

Old 01-14-2007, 01:19 AM

37 posts, read 178,763 times
I love: Colorado Springs (the north end), Durango, Ft. Collins, Estes Park.
(One mid-city, one recreation city, one college town, and one mountain town).

I don't love: Craig & surrounding area (too darn cold & no economy)
Buena Vista (what is up with this place?!?)
Pueblo & south (just not a lot to offer) or
Anyplace east of the front range

Old 01-14-2007, 12:53 PM

10,738 posts, read 18,894,504 times
I Love: anything south of MM 120 on I-25 south to the New Mexico border, anyplace east of the front range including: Fowler, Swink, Manzanola, LaJunta, Las Animas, Haswell, McClave, Hasty, Wiley, Lamar, Eads, Kit Carson, Springfield, Boone, Holly, Granada, Chivington, Arapahoe, Cheyenne Wells, Brandon, Burlington, Bethune, Stratton, Vona, Sebert, Joes, etc. Good people out there. Those ark valley folks are the recipients of your crappy polluted water, Colorado Springs! Nice contribution to a fine state.

I don't love: Denver North to Denver South. That would be the Megalopolis that is Ft Collins to Colorado Springs.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:43 PM

Location: Southern California native, now a few miles from Lake Michigan
839 posts, read 3,084,738 times
Default Used to live in Colorado

And travelled around quite a bit in my job.
Don't care for Denver or Colorado Springs metro areas (too big and congested for me), Pueblo (flat, plain area and crime), and Greeley (smelly and crime). Also thought Trinidad seemed pretty crummy though I never stayed overnight or got an in-depth look at it.
Did like Leadville (I'm sure many will disagree), Durango, and to some extent Montrose and Grand Junction on the western slope.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:13 AM

Location: Southern California native, now a few miles from Lake Michigan
839 posts, read 3,084,738 times
Default A couple more...

Almost forgot... a couple of other places I always liked were Monte Vista and Del Norte, at the west end of the San Luis Valley.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:36 PM

31 posts, read 152,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad123 View Post
Worst: Boulder/Grand Junction (Way too many liberals for me)

Best: Durango
Castle Rock
Colorado Springs
I know this was posted a while ago, but Grand Junction liberal?? Haha...no offense but Grand Junction is one of the most conservative areas in Colorado. There is a college there but it's small and a much larger portion of the population is retirees.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:56 AM

3 posts, read 23,691 times
I live in a town much like Durango, but an hour from NYC, philly, Atlantic city.Durango, Telleride, Rico and Gunnison - South West areas are my QUESTION:
where do you live close (not over an hr.) to an airport, hospital, local college, sking of coaurse. Boating a plus?

Old 01-17-2007, 02:39 PM

2,757 posts, read 10,811,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight View Post
I live in a town much like Durango, but an hour from NYC, philly, Atlantic city.Durango, Telleride, Rico and Gunnison - South West areas are my QUESTION:
where do you live close (not over an hr.) to an airport, hospital, local college, sking of coaurse. Boating a plus?
Unfortunately, being near an airport really limits you. DIA is by far the largest airport in the state -- but you'd really have to be in the metro area to stay within your 1-hour limitation-- that would make it hard to be close to skiing too. Your best bet here is living on the west side of the metro area. Denver does have a fair number of colleges and universities in the area

Colorado Springs has a smaller airport that will get you anywhere you want to go with one-stop service. One hour from this airport probably includes anything around the Springs including Pueblo and Canon City area. Colorado Springs (CC, UCCS), and Pueblo (CSU-Pueblo) both have campuses in their area.

The ski towns do have airports that are quite small. The largest of the bunch is actually the Steamboat Springs/Hayden airport, which operates year round and has large jets landing. The only college here is the tiny Colorado Mountain College, though. Eagle County (near vail) has mostly puddle-jumper planes and with fairly limited service. Aspen even more so. Eagle County and Aspen only also have Colorado Mountain College as well. I believe that Grand Junction and the 4-corners area have their own airports, but all of them are very small as well. They do have colleges (Mesa State and Fort Lewis, respectively).

So, I guess what I'm saying is that you're going to have a tough time finding what you want. You probably need to decide whether to live in Denver Metro, Colorado Springs/Pueblo/Canon City, or near one of the mountain or western slope airports, and then go from there.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:17 PM

9,954 posts, read 35,909,086 times
Evergreen, CO, will put you within reasonable time to Denver's education and business center, and close to skiing Loveland, Keystone, Winter Park, and Copper Mtn. Close to Dillon for boating (sailing, small power boat fishing).

Old 01-17-2007, 11:37 PM

476 posts, read 1,970,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight View Post
Farmington, NM has a pretty good size airport and is an hour away from Durango and Durango has an airport too. It has regular flights non stop to Phoenix, Albuquerque and Denver as well as other cities. Farmington has even more non stop flights out to other cities. Telluride, I think you would use the airport in Montrose but I dont know much about it. Gunnison is pretty islolated I am not sure on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado