U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,479 times

Advertisements

My spouse, two daughters and I, moved to Durango from Pueblo, 2 1/2 yrs. ago. He's a fishaholic, and I LOVE mountains. Seemed like a good choice. My husband works for Qwest was able to transfer his job. Durango's a sweet place to live...if you have above average income or a trust fund, etc. Housing prices are over the top. Hence our decision to move elsewhere. Salida/Buena Vista became available as options for an opening with Qwest, so we're heading to Chaffee County. Hope it turns out to be a positive and worthwhile experience. Housing may be a bit high, but nowhere near Durango. Pueblo was a great town to grow up in. When Colorado Fuel and Iron (CF&I) was running full steam, it was great. If you love awesome ethnic food, (Italian, Mexican, Yugoslavian ("Bo-Jon") food, you can't beat Pueblo. Plus you have Lake Pueblo for summer water sports and year round sailing and fishing, the Nature Center, River Walk, the Sangre DeCristo Arts Center, CSU Pueblo, the awesome City Park and Zoo, and affordable housing. If it weren't for a growing gang problem, as well as an existing prolem with drugs and alcohol, especially among the youth, we'd probably still be there! Overall, I'm just greatful to have been born in Colorado, and have the opportunity to continue living here!

Old 05-23-2008, 11:38 AM

11 posts, read 52,945 times
I think this is a relative question depending on your expectations...we're NOT Colorado natives but moved to the state with a "when in Rome" attitude, for the most part, about eleven years ago. Sure, there are little things here and there that we don't like about where we live, but in the big picture, they're inconsequential small beans. We really do have it great, IMHO.

Someone referred a few pages back to a former couple who moved here to GJ from New York-she hated it because she wanted the culture to be just like NYC, he embraced the culture for what it is here, stayed and married a local. No, you're NOT going to find that culture, arts, and the like are going to be what you would find in NYC. That said, it DOES exist in a way that's unique to the city.

Not saying that it's wrong to know your expectations, or to have a strong opinion, positive or negative about an area-but it really is true that you're probably going to be unhappy if you're not willing to embrace most of the changes and differences in your new surroundings. On the other hand, you'll probably like it here or anywhere else in the state if you are willing to have a good chuckle over Mike the Headless Chicken and his festival and all the other quirky/fun festivals around the state in the spring and summer. While you won't find the Metropolitan Museum of Art here, you'll find some cool art on street corners downtown, regular exhibits at the art center, and a bunch of fledgling theatre companies or performance groups.

I know it's largely common sense to take this approach...but just a general willingness to give new surroundings a chance make most places in Colorado a good place to live.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:05 PM

19 posts, read 70,231 times
As a Colorado native, I would say there really are no good places to live in Colorado, it's not what it used to be not even 20 years ago due to explosive population growth and people bringing to us what they left behind, crime, traffic, high housing costs, etc., and changing the feel of cities and towns, not to mention building expensive homes in what used to be picturesque scenery. Now with all the oil/gas drilling on the western slope, it's even worse here. Recently a rancher had some groundwater tested and found a carcinogenic chemical from the oil/gas industry, unfortunately that won't be the last time that happens, I look for that to be commonplace in the near future as these companies take what they can get for as long as they can and leave whoever is left here a heck of polluted mess to clean up. My family has lived here for generations and I'm looking for jobs in other states so I can leave.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:30 PM

15,575 posts, read 29,334,385 times
Pueblo is probably the best of the medium sized towns. I find that the farther East you go, the better it gets. Personally, I detest Colorado, but Walsenburg (apologies for the spelling), La Junta, Rocky Ford - places like that are much better than the uber-trendy Hummer-land Greenie-weenie wannabe mentality that you find in most of the "other" parts of the State (Durango - shudder).

BTW thanks to the mortgage crisis housing prices in Durango are plummeting. Folks there are losing their tushes in the housing market. Pardon me while I snicker in delight.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-07-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by get me outta gj View Post
As a Colorado native, I would say there really are no good places to live in Colorado, it's not what it used to be not even 20 years ago due to explosive population growth and people bringing to us what they left behind, crime, traffic, high housing costs, etc., and changing the feel of cities and towns, not to mention building expensive homes in what used to be picturesque scenery. Now with all the oil/gas drilling on the western slope, it's even worse here. Recently a rancher had some groundwater tested and found a carcinogenic chemical from the oil/gas industry, unfortunately that won't be the last time that happens, I look for that to be commonplace in the near future as these companies take what they can get for as long as they can and leave whoever is left here a heck of polluted mess to clean up. My family has lived here for generations and I'm looking for jobs in other states so I can leave.
Well for the first time someone has put their finger squarely on one of the reasons I dislike Colorado so. Notwithstanding I am *not* an outdoor person and I do *not* care for the mountains at all. I could handle that if it weren't for the exact reasons you illustrate. Thanks.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-07-2008, 04:46 PM

296 posts, read 1,054,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Pueblo is probably the best of the medium sized towns. I find that the farther East you go, the better it gets. Personally, I detest Colorado, but Walsenburg (apologies for the spelling), La Junta, Rocky Ford - places like that are much better than the uber-trendy Hummer-land Greenie-weenie wannabe mentality that you find in most of the "other" parts of the State (Durango - shudder).

BTW thanks to the mortgage crisis housing prices in Durango are plummeting. Folks there are losing their tushes in the housing market. Pardon me while I snicker in delight.

20yrsinBranson
I'd take just about any town in Colorado over Branson any day. Branson is about the crassest most over-developed (formerly very nice) town in America.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:17 AM

13,729 posts, read 21,568,684 times
Quote:
Pueblo is probably the best of the medium sized towns. 20yrsinBranson
Bolded and underlined by me. We go to Branson very often. We're just sick of Vegas and we like to go somewhere that's green and humid and affordable once in a while. When we go, we're like the youngest people in the whole town! It's nice to be around a bunch of polite older folks who like to have fun and we also like the lack of screaming kids with confused and overworked parents. Oops. Did I say that out loud?

You are talking about Branson Missouri, right? There is a Branson Colorado too ya know? It's a huge city of about 15 people I think.

Quote:
Personally, I detest Colorado, but Walsenburg (apologies for the spelling),
You know, ummm. I think you accidently spelled it right, despite your best efforts.

Quote:
... La Junta, Rocky Ford - places like that are much better than the uber-trendy Hummer-land Greenie-weenie wannabe mentality that you find in most of the "other" parts of the State (Durango - shudder). 20yrsinBranson
Uh, speakin' to the choir, buddy.

3 reps fer U. Love that Silver Dollar City, the Ducks, Shepard of the Hills, Ducks, etc. We like Soji Tabuchiotchi (sp??) and stuff, but his shows are starting to get a bit pricey. I like spending time in the fancy restroom. Any restroom that you can play a game of billiards is cool with me.

Saw Glen Cambpell there last year with Andy Williams and that dude cooked! Gr8 show.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninfiend View Post
I'd take just about any town in Colorado over Branson any day. Branson is about the crassest most over-developed (formerly very nice) town in America.
Sadly, I could not agree with you more. Every new Mega-development that scrapes the trees off of another 3,000 acres or so rankles me to the bone. Right now it is ALL ABOUT making money. Not the beautiful, quiet, charming little community that I moved to 20 years ago. Not the same at all.

I've moved out to the country, near the lake where hundreds of different varieties of birds can still be seen (and heard) daily. I have a couple of oak trees on my property with trunks that are as big around as volkswagons! LOL

I figure that one of these days the market will pay out (maybe with this economy it will be more sooner than later), and we can get back to just having fun around here. I have to admit that Branson is a very fun place to go. Good restaurants, great shows (even the most hokey ones are very entertaining and you cannot help but have a good time). Jobs are plentiful (they are begging for workers), although the pay is low...but the cost of living is low too, so it sort of evens out.

Every place has it's good and bad points.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-12-2008, 06:39 PM

535 posts, read 1,366,309 times
Best: Rand (anybody blown through there in the triple digits?)
Worst: suburbs

Old 07-14-2008, 07:30 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,123,371 times
best: Palmer Lake (but don't tell)
worst: Colorado Springs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado