U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 11:03 PM

658 posts, read 614,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
The best policy is to tear down the water sucking blue grass developments and return them to agriculture and to the natural state. Have people return to the cities and suburbs in denser housing with great transportation and walkable communities and no huge lawns and minimum needs for private cars. This type of living would be more economical and environmental sustainable. We can then preserve vast open space and agricultural lands with more than enough water to produce food for us and the rest of the world.
People are returning to the city and foregoing life in the country, because of driving expenses. Simple math dictates that if it costs more to drive the family around than to pay the mortgage, it's time to buck up and move close to your top destinations. People are looking for in-city condos arranged on a bus or rail line, or even better, a condo upstairs from where they work.

Gas is going to $8 per gallon, and the return to the city will create new problems, but also will allow for the land to be kept for natural beauty. Good luck tearing down the housing to return it to old status, but it is a nice thought.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,514 times
Default Castle Rock, one of the worst places to live

A list depicting the worst places in America to live should have Denver, Colorado and Castle Rock, Colorado on the top of that list. We bought a new home in Castle Rock, Colorado and it is virtually impossible to go outside of our new home for more than five minutes without a plane flying over. Many times we have as many as four planes flying over at the same time. And we live nowhere near an airport! Denver’s airport is forty five miles away and a dirty little airport called Centennial is fifteen miles away; however, even though we live far from both airports we continually have aircraft flying directly over our homes.

Flight schools use Castle Rock as their primary flight training area, where they will fly circles, just a thousand feet over our homes, passing over every five minutes for hours at a time. These training sessions begin as early as 7:00 AM and as late as 10:30 PM. Our community has submitted thousands of noise complaints, but our local governments have shown little or no concern for our safety or our wellbeing. After those thousands of noise complaints nothing has gotten better, only worse. The thought that submitting noise complaints to Denver International or Centennial Airport will result in something being done, would be a false hope. Each of their noise abatement departments are a sham. They take reports, but do nothing about them.

After numerous noise related reports to the City of Denver and its airport, we still continue to have hundreds of their planes fly directly over our homes. Yes, they are located forty five miles away, but feel that it is OK to route hundreds of planes directly over our homes. These planes will also fly over at the rate of one every five minutes and will go on for hours at a time. Colorado’s Governor (Ritter) and Denver’s Mayor (Hickenlooper) have both been contacted on numerous occasions regarding the noise and safety issues involved, but both seem to be pandering to big business and have little concern for the families that live in our community; Typical politicians, maybe that's why our country is in such a mess, "To hell with the general public, only support large business/corporations."

We’re stuck in Castle Rock, Colorado, what a horrible place to live, and it has to be one of the worst places in America to live!

Old 09-30-2008, 09:02 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,292,751 times
If you really wanna see a bunch of small planes, gliders and helicopters over head, go for a hike in your thong! I'm not kidding.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:23 PM

13,701 posts, read 21,521,660 times

Well, there's one thing you can do. Become and airplane enthusiast.

Oh, and isn't Centennial Airport in Centennial?

Old 09-30-2008, 04:28 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,042,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffyone View Post
A list depicting the worst places in America to live should have Denver, Colorado and Castle Rock, Colorado on the top of that list. We bought a new home in Castle Rock, Colorado and it is virtually impossible to go outside of our new home for more than five minutes without a plane flying over. Many times we have as many as four planes flying over at the same time. And we live nowhere near an airport! Denver’s airport is forty five miles away and a dirty little airport called Centennial is fifteen miles away; however, even though we live far from both airports we continually have aircraft flying directly over our homes.

If its that bad, perhaps a few walks around your prospective neighborhood would have uncovered the problem before you bought.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:19 PM

2,867 posts, read 7,103,247 times
I would actually kindof enjoy that. I like lots of background noise when i'm sleeping

Old 09-30-2008, 07:43 PM

1,442 posts, read 3,573,089 times
Quote:

Flight schools use Castle Rock as their primary flight training area, where they will fly circles, just a thousand feet over our homes, passing over every five minutes for hours at a time. These training sessions begin as early as 7:00 AM and as late as 10:30 PM. Our community has submitted thousands of noise complaints, but our local governments have shown little or no concern for our safety or our wellbeing. After those thousands of noise complaints nothing has gotten better, only worse. The thought that submitting noise complaints to Denver International or Centennial Airport will result in something being done, would be a false hope. Each of their noise abatement departments are a sham. They take reports, but do nothing about them.

After numerous noise related reports to the City of Denver and its airport, we still continue to have hundreds of their planes fly directly over our homes. Yes, they are located forty five miles away, but feel that it is OK to route hundreds of planes directly over our homes. These planes will also fly over at the rate of one every five minutes and will go on for hours at a time. Colorado’s Governor (Ritter) and Denver’s Mayor (Hickenlooper) have both been contacted on numerous occasions regarding the noise and safety issues involved, but both seem to be pandering to big business and have little concern for the families that live in our community; Typical politicians, maybe that's why our country is in such a mess, "To hell with the general public, only support large business/corporations."

We’re stuck in Castle Rock, Colorado, what a horrible place to live, and it has to be one of the worst places in America to live!
Sheesh! Sounds like somebody didn't do much due diligence before they decided where to live. Boo hoo!!

Old 10-01-2008, 07:27 AM

13,502 posts, read 7,344,738 times
Quote:
Many times we have as many as four planes flying over at the same time. And we live nowhere near an airport! Denver’s airport is forty five miles away and a dirty little airport called Centennial is fifteen miles away; however, even though we live far from both airports we continually have aircraft flying directly over our homes.

Centennial aiport dirty???

Its one of the nicest airports in the country. I spend a lot of time in Castle Rock and as a pilot I am cursed with the gene of looking up at EVERY airplane in the sky. Can't help it. I've been to many outdoor festivals/art shows in Castle Rock and have NEVER noticed an abnormal amount of airplanes in the sky. Admit it. You just don't like airplanes. I also have friends that live in CR and they've never complained about airplanes overhead.

You can always move.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:36 AM

46 posts, read 150,206 times
For me, any place with a population of over 25,000 or so sucks. So do the places where the mountains are over 30 miles away. So there goes Boulder, Denver, Ft. Collins, Greeley, etc. For my favs, that's a hard decision, but here goes:

Because of scenery and amount of hiking (the 2 most important things to me after population):
1. Crested Butte
2. Salida - my hometown, born and raised, so I'm a little partial
3. Telluride
4. Granby
5. Leadville
6. Silverton
7. Steamboat Springs
8. Durango
9. Aspen (but pretty much too expensive to do anything besides camp and hike)

Old 10-02-2008, 08:55 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,522,283 times
Quote:

Are you kidding? If you live in Castle Rock, planes flying into and out of DIA are very high up! If that bothers you, I suppose crickets bother you too!

I live in Stapleton and yes, planes fly over much of the day, usually low enough that I can identify the airline. But it's not like they're buzzing my house, and I actually like watching them. If you don't want any aircraft flying over your home, you're going to have to move to an extremely remote part of the world!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado