U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2008, 01:49 PM

165 posts, read 383,375 times

Advertisements

In my own opinion and in no particular order:

The Best:
Steamboat Springs - I love it. I will have a home there eventually. Have had nothing but positive experiences there.
Aspen - Gorgeous and a lot of fun. You won't like it if you have a chip on your shoulder about people with money, though everyone there I interacted with was really friendly.
Frontrange- Denver/CoSprings corridor - Everything you may need is in this rather broad area. People, culture, shopping, sports, arts, etc... You may have to drive a bit at times to find it, but you'll find what you need. It is a metropolis with a nice view.
Manitou Springs - Because that's where I am moving in a week or two.

Most of the major ski towns are a lot of fun and have interesting people in my experience.

The Worst:
Boulder - It's pretty, but no more so than other mountain towns with less people and less attitude. I noticed a distinct difference in the friendliness of the people compared to other places I have spent time in. If that's the music you like, it gets a lot of bands that come through I suppose. It makes me want to walk around with a sign that says "Not bathing and store-bought dreadlocks do not make you a hippie." It was my first time experiencing a grocery store with an attitude (Whole Foods), I have since experienced that other in places.
Fort Collins - I hate this town. I lived there for nearly a year. I think it is excruciatingly overrated, regardless of it's rankings on lists and in magazines. I think it is an ugly town. Foothills look good. Foothills always look good, but the town itself is hideous. It has a lot of stuff, but all that stuff is pretty much the same as everything else, I don't care how many different micro-breweries you jam in it. It is close to Estes Park is the only positive thing I have to say about it. I didn't have any traumatic experiences I just will never go back there.
Durango - Just a lame town. I got an unpleasant feeling there and did not feel welcome, which is fine. Combine that with how ugly it is, it's on my worst places list.

Just my observations, and yes, I did spend more than a day or two in each place.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:36 AM

6 posts, read 14,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraGirl View Post
Hi:

I went to college in Boulder and it's perfect for that. Living in Boulder beyond college is demoralizing. I've known DR's and lawyers who have had to have several roommates to afford it. The cost of living is ridiculous. I read post on here that mentioned the New Yorkers- I kid you not after a few years in Boulder I literally had a New Yorkish accent that picked up from all of them. Boulder is not the ideal dream. I grew up in Fort Collins, which remains clean and cute and a nice college town. But, I have lived most my life in Denver. Denver is great- it is clean, the residents are healthy, educated, tons of cultural things to do and it is a reasonably safe, big city.

The armpits for me are- stinky Greeley and Colorado Springs. The freaking right wing religious freaks in C.S.- just plain ol' give me the creeps.
Unfortunately SOME are right wing religious freaks but not all of us are, some would love to see this city go back to what it was before Focus and all the other nutz!

Armpit - no! It's a beautiful city with great views - most of the people are great.

Last edited by D in CS; 10-05-2008 at 09:32 AM..

Old 10-05-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemental View Post
Why are so many beggars tolerated at stop lights in Boulder? There was this guy a few days back with a sign that said "Having trouble with the rent". It was mid-day, I was working and wondered if he were at work, would he have trouble with the rent?? I do not like being approached at the light by people asking me for money while the kids are in the car. Why is this behavior acceptable in Boulder?

Is it acceptable in Pueblo? or Denver? It shouldn't be "acceptable" anywhere. Why isn't he working? Maybe he doesn't have a job?? Right now it's hard for most people. Don't judge unless you have been in that position. Most don't even approach people in cars unless they are called over.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

Well, there's one thing you can do. Become and airplane enthusiast.

Oh, and isn't Centennial Airport in Centennial?

Nope - South Denver

Old 10-05-2008, 09:06 AM

227 posts, read 903,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D in CS View Post
Nope - South Denver
Nope. It is in Arapahoe and Douglas counties, not south Denver. It is right near the city of Centennial, though. Extra credit goes to who can answer "What name came first, Centennial the city or the airport?"

Old 10-05-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfish15 View Post
Nope. It is in Arapahoe and Douglas counties, not south Denver. It is right near the city of Centennial, though. Extra credit goes to who can answer "What name came first, Centennial the city or the airport?"
Sorry - I don't usually see Denver as just the little area in "downtown Denver" I think of Denver as starting around Parker and going all the way to say .. Wyoming? lol ..j/k

As for Centennial - Airport or City first. The airport. Centennial wasn't a city until 2001.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
[/color]

Centennial aiport dirty???

Its one of the nicest airports in the country. I spend a lot of time in Castle Rock and as a pilot I am cursed with the gene of looking up at EVERY airplane in the sky. Can't help it. I've been to many outdoor festivals/art shows in Castle Rock and have NEVER noticed an abnormal amount of airplanes in the sky. Admit it. You just don't like airplanes. I also have friends that live in CR and they've never complained about airplanes overhead.

You can always move.
Doesn't it get hard to walk or drive if you are always looking up? Stay out of Castle Rock, you'd never look down (OK I'm being a smart arse)

Old 10-05-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by get me outta gj View Post
As a Colorado native, I would say there really are no good places to live in Colorado, it's not what it used to be not even 20 years ago due to explosive population growth and people bringing to us what they left behind, crime, traffic, high housing costs, etc., and changing the feel of cities and towns, not to mention building expensive homes in what used to be picturesque scenery. Now with all the oil/gas drilling on the western slope, it's even worse here. Recently a rancher had some groundwater tested and found a carcinogenic chemical from the oil/gas industry, unfortunately that won't be the last time that happens, I look for that to be commonplace in the near future as these companies take what they can get for as long as they can and leave whoever is left here a heck of polluted mess to clean up. My family has lived here for generations and I'm looking for jobs in other states so I can leave.
I am also a Colorado native, 4th generation, and I completely understand what you are saying.

Pretty sad what is happening to this state. You used to be able to look at the front range in Colorado Springs and just see mountains, now you see houses going up the mountain side.

Apart from that, when you get the chance to get into the mountains it is really beautiful! Fall is my favorite time with the the aspens changing colors and the snow on the higher peaks.. wow! How lucky we are to live here!

Old 10-05-2008, 04:39 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,414,224 times
FALL,.....yes, the spicey, crisp, cool season!!! My fave!!
Is Centennial the original name? Nope!
In the latter years of the eighties, I moved there. Didn't even know it existed before my marriage. I grew up in North Denver.
I raised my first son in Aurora ( he went to Meadow Point Elementary, then..Laredo Junior High and, graduated from Smokey Hill High School.)
My youngest was born at Aurora Presbyterian Hospital.
My oldest is now a professor in Rhode Island and my youngest is a Cryptologist in Hawaii.
Dang people!! If you really really want to NOT hear airplanes then, Move to where I am...Canon City ( we are 40 miles out of COS and 35 miles out of Pueblo....when we hear/see an airplane or helicopter...we freak!!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
30 minutes and we are in the "city"!! JFI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-05-2008, 04:44 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,414,224 times
BTW...the worst place in Colorado to me is...Commerce City!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Best Place is probably....Dillon/Breckenridge. Maybe....Evergreen.
JFYI!!
I am also partial to Canon City but if I had ALL the money in the world,...I would have to pick....BRECKENRIDGE. LOVE it there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado