U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 12:21 AM

188 posts, read 838,526 times

Advertisements

Friend of mine who moved to Durango some years back has always said the job market was tight, but she loves living there. Took her awhile to find a job. Has some really nice scenery. I visited Grand Junction once thinking about living there eventually. But I felt like I was back in Kansas with some mountains around the edges.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:56 PM

31 posts, read 159,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight View Post
I live in a town much like Durango, but an hour from NYC, philly, Atlantic city.Durango, Telleride, Rico and Gunnison - South West areas are my QUESTION:
where do you live close (not over an hr.) to an airport, hospital, local college, sking of coaurse. Boating a plus?
If you are looking for specifically southwest Colorado, pretty much your only option that offers everything on your list is Durango. But you would still be paying more than double DIA's rates to fly anywhere and although they have a reasonably large hospital, anything really horrible would still likely land you in GJ. If you want everything on your list you're most likely going to have to look near Denver or GJ.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:00 PM

41 posts, read 157,708 times
I love Boulder, especially the downtown area, but Avaria's post is not only hilarious, it is dead on. Great place to visit, but not my first choice to raise kids.

In my opinion, Pueblo/Canon City is one of the seediest/ugliest places in CO - or in Ameica for that matter.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:18 PM

17 posts, read 94,801 times
I have lived in Durango (and Bayfield) almost my whole life. The exception being the four years I went to college. But, in my opinion, Durango is a beautiful, wonderful, friendly area to live in. I work in the brand new hospital which is now a regional medical center, and Durango is growing daily.

That being said, my husband and I are moving to WI in two months....as wonderful as Durango is, this area is way too expensive for a twenty-something couple to make any kind of life that isn't always feeling like you are just scraping by! Wages are incredibly low, and housing is ridiculously high! But that is the only downside.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:31 PM

14 posts, read 65,373 times
Best: Pagosa Springs (many contenders here!)

Worst: La Junta (the army wants to take most of the county for a training range?)

Old 01-22-2007, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 7,666 times
Cool Wanting to move back to Colorado, Also want to know best/worst place!?

I'm originally from the Springs area, (30+) years ago and have been trying to get back to CO ever since. Alot has changed since then and I definately don't want to move to a big city, we, (husband and 3 older kids), are looking for the small town feel where people actually know each other with the georgous views and all the outdoor activities Colorado has. We currently live in Prescott Arizona which was nice until prices started going thru the roof and now we can't afford any of the wooded areas. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

Old 01-22-2007, 10:33 PM

476 posts, read 2,089,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerJane View Post
I'm originally from the Springs area, (30+) years ago and have been trying to get back to CO ever since. Alot has changed since then and I definately don't want to move to a big city, we, (husband and 3 older kids), are looking for the small town feel where people actually know each other with the georgous views and all the outdoor activities Colorado has. We currently live in Prescott Arizona which was nice until prices started going thru the roof and now we can't afford any of the wooded areas. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!
You might look at Bayfield, Colorado. A nice family town with excellent schools.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:18 AM

1 posts, read 7,739 times
I have heard a lot of good things about Durango on this site, and I see that you like crested butte, in your opinion, which place would be the best to find work and raise a family, any other suggestions? Basically what my husband and i are looking for is the "Thomas Kinkade style" town that has tons of snow per year, thats safe, and has potentially good jobs, and has a huge music scene.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:00 AM

10,871 posts, read 41,174,133 times
lilboobear53 ... there isn't a "kinkade" style of town out here. let alone all of your requirements for snow, jobs, music ... Aspen comes to mind, but it isn't a "kinkade" kind of place in the slightest.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:39 AM

431 posts, read 2,501,252 times
I would say it depends. Myself, I hate cities. I love the rural life. I like neighbors but not in my hip pocket. At least a country block away is more than close enough. But I do like to live close enough to small town for groceries and close enough to large cities for serious shopping, etc. I hate prairie and desert type areas. So as I said what do you like? What I like city people would call the arm pits. And where they like, I would call the arm pits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado