U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 09:42 AM

110 posts, read 433,696 times

Advertisements

Depends on the size of town that you like. The best with around 15,000 people would have to be Durango although housing prices are insane. For a somewhat similar feel but smaller, around 5,000 people I like Salida, although it has been discovered also and the housing costs are reflecting it's popularity.

Worst...depends on size again. Going from large to small I would never live in Boulder, Pueblo, La Junta, Lamar, Las Animas, Ignacio, or Dove Creek.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:45 PM

13 posts, read 69,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerJane View Post
I'm originally from the Springs area, (30+) years ago and have been trying to get back to CO ever since. Alot has changed since then and I definately don't want to move to a big city, we, (husband and 3 older kids), are looking for the small town feel where people actually know each other with the georgous views and all the outdoor activities Colorado has. We currently live in Prescott Arizona which was nice until prices started going thru the roof and now we can't afford any of the wooded areas. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!
I'm in Prescott Valley and I'm looking at probably moving due to the same reason. I'm researching SW CO.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:00 AM

4 posts, read 29,081 times
I'd like to know more about this if you get a chance. I have a toddler and a baby and am trying to decide btw. moving to Boulder or Louisville from the Seattle area. Please leave a reply if you are able.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:27 AM

476 posts, read 2,089,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilboobear53 View Post
I have heard a lot of good things about Durango on this site, and I see that you like crested butte, in your opinion, which place would be the best to find work and raise a family, any other suggestions? Basically what my husband and i are looking for is the "Thomas Kinkade style" town that has tons of snow per year, thats safe, and has potentially good jobs, and has a huge music scene.
I think Durango meets most of your requirements. Lots of Victorian homes in town that sort of remind me of that Kinkade look. It is a safe place to raise a family. You see families out about riding bikes, hiking, rafting, etc. It is growing and more jobs will keep coming. New businesses and a new light industrial park are in the works. It has a great music scene along with the arts and entertainment scene too. Lots of artists. Snow wise, it doesnt get alot in the city but north of there does. Durango Mountain Resort gets lots.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:14 AM

110 posts, read 433,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
I think Durango meets most of your requirements. Lots of Victorian homes in town that sort of remind me of that Kinkade look. It is a safe place to raise a family. You see families out about riding bikes, hiking, rafting, etc. It is growing and more jobs will keep coming. New businesses and a new light industrial park are in the works. It has a great music scene along with the arts and entertainment scene too. Lots of artists. Snow wise, it doesnt get alot in the city but north of there does. Durango Mountain Resort gets lots.
Yes Durango does have nice Victorian homes in town that have somewhat of a Kindade feel with a few cautions. East 3rd Ave. is THE street that gives you that look and feel best, but it can be somewhat busy as it is a main artery to the college.

Also, what will shock most people is the price on these homes. There is one listed right now that is very large (6,000 sq. feet) that is priced at $2.5 million. Even the smaller homes will be very expensive. By doing a search on realtor dot com I found out that 113 properties listed in Durango are priced at over $1 million.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:34 PM

476 posts, read 2,089,225 times
Yes I agree that the homes in Durango are pricey but may not seem like that to people out in California where a 1300 square foot home is around half a million dollars or more. The further you go out from Durango, the cheaper it is too. I know of some nicer homes out in the burbs that arent bad in prices. You just have to look around. But yes, in Durango city limits, houses will be costly.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:58 PM

41 posts, read 223,018 times
Best: I really don't know, there's a lot of decent cities in Colorado

Worst: Fort Collins, Commerce City, Aurora

Old 02-20-2007, 09:16 AM
kmr

1 posts, read 11,599 times
Smile What about Salida?

I am surprise no one has mentioned Salida as the best place in CO. It is growing - and has been "discovered" but not over run yet. Rural yet emerging recreation and art communities residing in a beautiful valley with skiing and boating close by. Also:

- close enough to the city if needed (2.5 hours) / far enough away
- great people
- sunny climate
- diverse outdoor recreation opportunities
- low crime
- improving schools

Most detemined people can make it here... employment opportunities can present a challenge for some however many people can find a way. Some people have said it is too small however it will grow and there are plenty of opportunities to get to a larger community if needed. Also, I don't know of another place in Colorado with a majority of voters who are registered Republicans yet who have elected a moderate all Democratic Board of Commissioners. I think it indicates that the people in Salida and Chaffee County care about their community and work together - very refreshing.

I agree with many other posts about some of the great places in Colorado as well. Yet for the money and quality of life, I think you'd have a hard time finding a better place in CO.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:13 PM

90 posts, read 275,934 times
The OP's question is impossible to answer ... really.

The state has too much variety. You can find everythng and anything here. (Okay. No beachfront properties....)

- KK

Old 02-24-2007, 02:37 AM

11 posts, read 51,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skigirl View Post
I've always heard of Craig referred to as the "armpit" of Colorado lol. I lived there for a few months and I'd have to agree. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're looking to live in a place with some of the coldest temperatures in the country, a terrible job market, and a major drug problem!)
I gotta disagree with this somewhat. I've lived in Craig for the past three years and don't believe that it deserves the reputation that it has gotten. Yes, it does get cold and there are publicized meth busts, both both are blown out of proportion. Our winters actually have cold temperatures at night, but the days are usually sunny and beautiful (and at 6300 feet, 35 degrees feels mights warm). The drug problem here is no different than any other rural western town and it is actually much less of a problem than in places like Grand Junction and Rock Springs, WY.

The job market here is booming and if you can't find a job you ain't looking. However, property values are increasing exponentially, so young people such as myself are being quickly priced out of the market.

Moffat County is one of the most beautiful places on earth, with a National Monument, a national wildlife refuge, 270,000 acres of proposed wilderness, Colorado's largest wild horse herd and VERY abundant wildlife. However, it is UBER-conservative and republicans run the county and the local politicans essentially want to destroy all that was mentioned above for the sake of oil and gas development. Oh, and I didn't even mention the wildest river in Colorado, the Yampa.

Craig is my first choice for a town to live in. However, I think that Grand Junction is pretty nice for a city. I also really enjoy Meeker, Gunnison and Gateway.

I would never live anywhere on the Front Range by choice and find most of the resort towns (save Steamboat) to be abhorrent. I think that Rifle is a dump and don't think that Rangely is the most appealing place either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado