U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 03-07-2007, 12:27 PM

18 posts, read 60,347 times
check out evergreen-20 to 30 min to Denver and the big mountains, lakes within 1 hour. ok priced but beautiful area with minimal people.
armpit- greely, pueblo, commerce city, you catch my drift.

Unread 03-31-2007, 12:25 PM

371 posts, read 1,015,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaria View Post
We lived in Boulder for almost 2 years –

The town itself is pretty – except for all the trailer courts. The flatirons are exquisite, and the campus is beautiful.

You'll love Boulder if you like:

Overpriced houses

Over priced trinkets in small boutiques

Lots of tie die bong shops

20 quack health care provider on every corner (there are an over abundance of unlicensed, untrained, and unethical people claiming to be healers in Boulder)

1000 Slum lords charging top dollar for rent

New Yorkers (there are tons of them in that town - yet everyone wants to blame Californians for Boulders problems - yet I ran into very few. Most people there are from the East Coast)

Snooty, snobby, stuck up people

Yuppies

Coffee snobs who hang out at Vics all day (Doesn't anyone have a real job in that town?)

Meat Eating Vegetarians

Closet Republicans

“Faux” liberals

Kids in brand new Range Rovers pan handling for drug money

Drug addicts harassing you for change

Poor people who want to trade for everything (hey man, I’ll give you a massage for that sandwich)

Bratty college kids

Pot Heads

Weird unsolved child murders
Best post ever!!!
KUDOS many times over!!

Unread 03-31-2007, 12:30 PM

371 posts, read 1,015,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post
Everyone knows at least one 'this-is-an-armpit' and an 'I could live here forever' place in Colorado. Which is yours?
Not everyone can afford to live in Boulder and many would not even want to go anywhere near Denver, but there have to be places that are fabulous and others we all need to avoid.
What are they?

The Denver Tech Center is the place for me! I love it here.
Close to anything and everything I need, yet far enough away from the young growing families.

Unread 04-02-2007, 05:22 PM

20 posts, read 63,265 times
Worst place to live:Fowler, CO ( It tries to be be quaint like all of the other towns in the area, but fails because it's a pure slum-town)

Best Place to liveenver (Denver is a metropolis with everything you need and much, much more to live, is breathtakingly beautiful, and is an all-around great, cool place to live)

Unread 04-03-2007, 07:02 PM

965 posts, read 3,115,122 times
Best = Telluride

Worst = 5 points Denver

Unread 04-17-2007, 12:01 PM

48 posts, read 190,957 times
Best Parker.. Worst Peublo..Gross!

Unread 04-17-2007, 12:30 PM

7,807 posts, read 11,869,316 times
Yeah, I'd heard that Peublo is pretty gross.

I live in Pueblo and it is pretty nice!

Unread 04-17-2007, 01:35 PM

7,665 posts, read 13,902,817 times
Default It depends on what you have and what you want . . .

If you've got a ton of money from someplace else, you're a trustfunder, or you just got your huge executive "golden parachute," there are a lot of beautiful places to live in Colorado. If you don't have those things, and you might actually have to work for a living and rely on the local community for your income, the attractive choices become a lot more limited. Even doctors and lawyers may have to accept a lower income to live in many of the attractive rural areas of Colorado. At least most of them could still afford it.

I laugh when I read people gushing about how wonderful places like Aspen, Telluride, Crested Butte, etc. are to live in. They are almost certainly the ones who brought a wheelbarrow full of money with them when they moved there.

If you want to live a "normal" life in much of Colorado, as in have a career that makes you enough income to live in a community of folks who actually work for a living, then this is my list of some possible places. It's short, and even some of these are getting problematic to be affordable because of high real estate prices, low incomes, or both. I've left off the big Front Range cities because--well, they're just big urban/suburban polyglots largely indistinguishable from all of the other similar places all across the country. I've also left off some nice towns in eastern Colorado, only because they are not close to the mountains.

My list of "best choices":

Montrose
Delta
Grand Junction (barely makes it on my list, too much growth and crime)
Monte Vista
Alamosa
Salida (barely makes it--too expensive already)
Craig
Buena Vista
Canon City
Gunnison (barely makes it--too expensive already)
Meeker
Paonia
Hotchkiss

Get this: When it comes to a place to live, "affordable" and "resort" can no longer be used in the same sentence to describe any location in Colorado that I know of.

Unread 04-17-2007, 06:43 PM

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
If you've got a ton of money from someplace else, you're a trustfunder, or you just got your huge executive "golden parachute," there are a lot of beautiful places to live in Colorado. If you don't have those things, and you might actually have to work for a living and rely on the local community for your income, the attractive choices become a lot more limited. Even doctors and lawyers may have to accept a lower income to live in many of the attractive rural areas of Colorado. At least most of them could still afford it.

I laugh when I read people gushing about how wonderful places like Aspen, Telluride, Crested Butte, etc. are to live in. They are almost certainly the ones who brought a wheelbarrow full of money with them when they moved there.

If you want to live a "normal" life in much of Colorado, as in have a career that makes you enough income to live in a community of folks who actually work for a living, then this is my list of some possible places. It's short, and even some of these are getting problematic to be affordable because of high real estate prices, low incomes, or both. I've left off the big Front Range cities because--well, they're just big urban/suburban polyglots largely indistinguishable from all of the other similar places all across the country. I've also left off some nice towns in eastern Colorado, only because they are not close to the mountains.

My list of "best choices":

Montrose
Delta
Grand Junction (barely makes it on my list, too much growth and crime)
Monte Vista
Alamosa
Salida (barely makes it--too expensive already)
Craig
Buena Vista
Canon City
Gunnison (barely makes it--too expensive already)
Meeker
Paonia
Hotchkiss

Get this: When it comes to a place to live, "affordable" and "resort" can no longer be used in the same sentence to describe any location in Colorado that I know of.

How true, my truth speaking brother!! The problem is, if you really are a "working" person, the chances are you are not going to find any type of job, even in the towns you list above, that pays any kind of wage that provides for any type of future (and barely would support current needs). We, as Americans, have sold out the future of our children for the sake of the "lowest price now". The earnings gap continues at an unbelievable pace, illegal immigration destroys, degrades & defiles our great nation and destroys our local wage bases. We have exported our value creating manufacturing capabilites overseas and we have no way of really earning livings (unless you enjoy sweeping up the shedding hairs of a foreign ski tourists fur coat...but then an illegal could do that and it would be much cheaper!). Anyways, there is always joining the Army.....doing the jobs mexicans won't do. At least there is still Denver (if you can still find a job there that is not being performed by someone doing the job you won't do)!!!!

Unread 04-17-2007, 09:50 PM

10 posts, read 55,198 times
Default Grand Lake is my best place....

Love Boulder, Breckenridge, Grand Lake, and so many others.

Vail and Aspen, nice but very snobby.

Greeley is gross by Colorado standards, but compared to where I am from (Detroit), it is paradise.

Colorado is just a pretty great place to be... almost anywhere is better than other states. Weather is awesome, scenery is amazing, people are laid back. The only place I would rather be is San Diego, but the houses here are a third of the price. (We actually compared similar houses and that is no exaggeration, so we stayed here.)

If I won a lottery, I would build a big house on Grand Lake. To me, that area is perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado