U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 02:40 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
It would appear to me that Boulder would be the best city in which to live in Colorado. Look at this list of awards that Bouder has earned, posted here. Here are some excerpts:

"America's Smartest Cities", ranked #1 by Forbes magazine.

Ranked Best All Around among "Dream Towns" by Outside magazine.

"Best Places to Retire in Style" by Fortune magazine.

"Best City for Cycling" by Bicyling magazine.

America’s Best Running City” by Running magazine.

"Top Triathlon Town" by Inside Triathlon magazine.

"Place you dream of living" by Backpacker magazine.

"Best Sports Town in America" by Outside magazine.

"The Thinnest City in America" by Self magazine.

"The West's Best City" by Sunset magazine.

"50 Best places to live - best overall city" by Men's Journal magazine.

One of “America’s 50 Healthiest Places to Live” by USA Today.

I could keep going but if you want to see the more accolades, go to this link.

As far as the worst place to live in Colorado, I don't want to specify an exact answer for that, but it would appear to me that the eastern plains of Colorado is the least desireable part of Colorado to live. The plains are flat and not close to the mountains. There are very few jobs in that region of the state and little industry other agricultural-based industry. Many towns in the eastern plains are losing population. Also, if you live in the eastern plains there is a risk of devastating tornadoes, such as the tornado (http://cbs4denver.com/slideshows/local_slideshow_088115539 - broken link) that struck Holly, Colorado on March 28, 2007.
So--according to a bunch of OUT-OF-STATE affluent, granola-crunching, anorexic, California-visioned running and jogging journalists--Boulder is a great place. Gee, I am so SURPRISED. I think a lot of old-line Coloradans would disagree with those awards, but what do a bunch of sweaty rednecks who have lived in Colorado all their lives know? Apparently not much, according to the spandex-elite.

PS--I would much prefer living among the residents of eastern Colorado than those of Boulder. For all of eastern Colorado's troubles, and they have plenty of economic challenges, the people who live there are great.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:15 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,994,411 times
Default Relocating to CO from CA...

Hi All,
Im so glad I joined this site ! It has been enlightening to say the least. I've lived in CA my entire life and now Im recently divorced, looking to start fresh, with a new life, in a small town in CO. Well, I started out thinking I would like to live in the Silverthorne area, until I caught a glimpse of home prices, in the high $500k, that's higher then here (socal). So, I decided to look elsewhere but I can't seem to find a small, woodsy, cheap home prices w/ acreage, low crime, town. Someone told me Greeley is a nice place, but after reading some of your posts I'd have to disagree. Im so tired of the Socal life style, I want the four seasons and all the snow ( however, I may not feel this way after a couple winters but I'll deal with it) and lakes and beauty of CO. If anyone has any input I would really appreciate it. Im not sure Im posting in the right forum, forgive me Im new at this.

Warmly,
April in CA

Old 05-20-2007, 08:15 PM

3 posts, read 17,023 times
i see a lot of posts here about colorado in general...thought i'd give my two cents about the denver area neighborhoods for those who are looking to move into the metro area which is not as bad as some people here make it out to be.

i think the best denver neighborhoods are the highlands (38th and tennyson st), berkeley park (44th and lowell) platt park (florida and grant), washington park (downing and kentucky), belcaro/bonnie brae (colorado blvd and steele)

the worst? globeville (aka commerce city, around I-25 and I-70 interchange), valverde (alameda and federal blvd), montbello (I-70 and peoria).

Old 05-21-2007, 12:32 PM

13,631 posts, read 21,489,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
I think they are talking about the kind of sports you do yourself: climbing, kayaking, etc. It surely can't be talking about spectator sports.
OK. That makes sense. They are talking about selling your TV and couch and going outside to enjoy the wonderful outdoors. Take that money that you made off of your new 82" plasma TV, go down to Bass Pro or REI and buy some toys and enjoy the wonderful outdoors!

I didn't think that that Forbes Magazine could have been referring to the wonderous antics of the Famed "Green Mile Carruth".

Old 05-21-2007, 12:56 PM

32 posts, read 133,511 times
Denver could be one of the best places because of the the amount of things to do. Denver is one of the worst places because it is very over built and just plain to many people.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:27 AM

476 posts, read 2,088,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
Hi All,
Im so glad I joined this site ! It has been enlightening to say the least. I've lived in CA my entire life and now Im recently divorced, looking to start fresh, with a new life, in a small town in CO. Well, I started out thinking I would like to live in the Silverthorne area, until I caught a glimpse of home prices, in the high $500k, that's higher then here (socal). So, I decided to look elsewhere but I can't seem to find a small, woodsy, cheap home prices w/ acreage, low crime, town. Someone told me Greeley is a nice place, but after reading some of your posts I'd have to disagree. Im so tired of the Socal life style, I want the four seasons and all the snow ( however, I may not feel this way after a couple winters but I'll deal with it) and lakes and beauty of CO. If anyone has any input I would really appreciate it. Im not sure Im posting in the right forum, forgive me Im new at this.

Warmly,
April in CA
You might look at Pagosa Springs. It is a small town, woodsy, low crime, has area lakes, has four seasons and snow, and I looked at homes over there and they arent that bad in prices. There are quite a lot of the log cabin type of homes there along with other styles too but the towns seems more laid back and an Americana type of town to me. There is alot of info on Google about it. Just type in Pagosa Springs, CO and you will get the info.
Here is one link to get you going.
http://www.pagosaspringschamber.com/

Old 05-22-2007, 07:16 AM

10,869 posts, read 41,139,178 times
April ... try Gunnison.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:36 AM

353 posts, read 353,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
So--according to a bunch of OUT-OF-STATE affluent, granola-crunching, anorexic, California-visioned running and jogging journalists--Boulder is a great place. Gee, I am so SURPRISED. I think a lot of old-line Coloradans would disagree with those awards, but what do a bunch of sweaty rednecks who have lived in Colorado all their lives know? Apparently not much, according to the spandex-elite.

PS--I would much prefer living among the residents of eastern Colorado than those of Boulder. For all of eastern Colorado's troubles, and they have plenty of economic challenges, the people who live there are great.
Ha! Hilarious! Yes!

I love it, Jazzlover. You are 100% completely right. Boulder is Colorado's black eye--it's filled with Massachusetts and Chicago hippies who would be spewed out of the rest of Colorado should they ever choose to leave Boulder city limits. You'll be lucky to find any real coloradan there.

My favorite part of the state--besides where I live--is the Eastern Plains down by Bent's Fort near La Junta and Lamar. The folks down there represent the down-home, resilient, patriotic spirit that Colorado embodies. They may not have fancy doctorates and drink the poshest wine--but they're hard-working, God-fearing Americans and they are what it means to be a Coloradan.

I went to school in Boulder and I could frankly care less about Boulder' "honors." I don't see what's so great about Boulder and the spandex-clad tofu-slurpers therein. In Colorado we care about our country, our families, our jobs, our faith, etc. In Boulder they care about lattes and trees. You tell me me which is the better place to live.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:19 AM

2 posts, read 8,452 times
hello! Can you explain why you feel Boulder is not a place to raise a family...can you explain?

Old 05-23-2007, 08:00 AM

353 posts, read 353,386 times
Sure, leevin'. There a few main reasons:

1.) It's too expensive. Boulder has an wildly low birth-rate. Few people have kids. Some of that is because Boulder is easily the most expensive city in the state--as result of restrictive growth controls--and prices out families. If you've got a family with three kids, it's very hard to find a home for under 500,000 in Boulder. I mean, what family can afford that?

2.) It's a college town. College towns are fantastic for snooty academics, old people, and singles. But families? College towns just don't have the same middle-class economy that cities do.

3.) It's not family-centered. Most activities center around the college or radical left-wing activism. Most people don't go to church, there's not many kids in the neighborhoods, and the schools are so-so. I mean, I suppose if you're an uber-wealthy, Massachusetts, left-wing family with one token kid, you'd love it. But in Colorado most families are nothing like that.

Boulder is a lovely place, I went to school there, and it's a great place to visit--or maybe even live if you're a 20-something hipster. But for families? Come to Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado