U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2007, 12:37 PM

3 posts, read 15,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad123 View Post
Worst: Boulder/Grand Junction (Way too many liberals for me)

Best: Durango
Castle Rock
Colorado Springs
Grand Junction liberal!?! Grand Junction is predominately conservative.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:04 PM

3 posts, read 15,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treyjay View Post
How true, my truth speaking brother!! The problem is, if you really are a "working" person, the chances are you are not going to find any type of job, even in the towns you list above, that pays any kind of wage that provides for any type of future (and barely would support current needs). We, as Americans, have sold out the future of our children for the sake of the "lowest price now". The earnings gap continues at an unbelievable pace, illegal immigration destroys, degrades & defiles our great nation and destroys our local wage bases. We have exported our value creating manufacturing capabilites overseas and we have no way of really earning livings (unless you enjoy sweeping up the shedding hairs of a foreign ski tourists fur coat...but then an illegal could do that and it would be much cheaper!). Anyways, there is always joining the Army.....doing the jobs mexicans won't do. At least there is still Denver (if you can still find a job there that is not being performed by someone doing the job you won't do)!!!!
That all depends on what you do for living - can't toss a blanket over this with a statement like that. I know several folks making a killing in the oil/gas fields. Nurses are making outstanding wages as are most professionals. Yes though many blue collar folks are inadequately paid.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:21 AM

8 posts, read 60,335 times
Default Trinidad is definitely the best place to live in Colorado

Just north of the New Mexico border, we are on I-25. Scenic views, affordable housing, and growing opportunities. I couldn't ask for a better hometown.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:27 PM

85,049 posts, read 98,999,163 times
Re: Boulder -
Quote:
3.) It's not family-centered. Most activities center around the college or radical left-wing activism. Most people don't go to church, there's not many kids in the neighborhoods, and the schools are so-so.
I don't think so! Look at the dept of ed website. Most schools are highly rated.

While I have no desire to live in Boulder, many families with kids do. I don't know how to get specific birth rate stats on Boulder, so I'm not sure where Rawlings got them. Because Boulder is a college town, its absolute birth rate (births per 1000 people) probably is lower than a town like Erie with a lot of young families living there. However, I would guess its fertility rate (births per 1000 women of chilbearing age) is similar to everywhere else.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:10 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,005,178 times
I agree with Deb G ....Trinidad is great ....good location ...mildest winter in Colorado....near mtns...I-25 ....Johnson Mesa....Raton Pass and New Mexico...also I really like Glenwood Springs ....super location ...near Aspen but much lower elevation ....hots springs....giant pool ....I-70 ...etc

Old 06-03-2007, 08:47 AM

7 posts, read 41,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post
Everyone knows at least one 'this-is-an-armpit' and an 'I could live here forever' place in Colorado. Which is yours?
Not everyone can afford to live in Boulder and many would not even want to go anywhere near Denver, but there have to be places that are fabulous and others we all need to avoid.
What are they?
I own property in Colorado and lived in Vail back in the 80's. I still own ranch land near Silt. Denver has grown so much I can't believe it from 1980! The mountain communities as well, Vail to Glenwood, 20 times the people and houses. It has lost it's quaitness with so many people. I like the more remote areas and fortunately have enough acres to keep me happy. I can tell you from experience, Vail, Aspen or any ski resort is NOT a NORMAL town. Housing in these areas is out of sight! Then other problems like PARKING or a BACK YARD......depending on what side of the mountain you are on, you may get limited sunlight, or more snow while across the street it's sunny and dry! Altitude means different weather, different growing conditions. Had to grow tomato plants in Breckenridge, 9K feet elev. If you have a bad heart stay at low elevations not in Leadville at 10K feet!

My favorite town of Glenwood Springs is so busy, but I still love it, unfortunately so do many others. At least I can drive there from my land in 23 minutes. I love the hot springs pool and Skisunlight (locals ski area, don't tell anyone).

I wish I had the money and wisdom to buy that house in Aspen for $168K back in 1968, but I was young with high ideas and no money. At least I have my 35 acres near Silt which I bought years ago. I can raise a few cows and play mini rancher at least, before I die.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:32 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,174,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
Hi All,
Im so glad I joined this site ! It has been enlightening to say the least. I've lived in CA my entire life and now Im recently divorced, looking to start fresh, with a new life, in a small town in CO. Well, I started out thinking I would like to live in the Silverthorne area, until I caught a glimpse of home prices, in the high $500k, that's higher then here (socal). So, I decided to look elsewhere but I can't seem to find a small, woodsy, cheap home prices w/ acreage, low crime, town. Someone told me Greeley is a nice place, but after reading some of your posts I'd have to disagree. Im so tired of the Socal life style, I want the four seasons and all the snow ( however, I may not feel this way after a couple winters but I'll deal with it) and lakes and beauty of CO. If anyone has any input I would really appreciate it. Im not sure Im posting in the right forum, forgive me Im new at this.

Warmly,
April in CA
Move to Redding California....Trust me, its exactly what your looking for. Four Seasons Smaller, cheaper, woodsy, lakes, still close to ocean, mountain views, 2nd sunniest place to live in USA. That way you can keep california equity in California. Colorado too cold for you. Seriously, check it out.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 9,202 times
Sage Sam,
I posted on the Craig link, but maybe I should have asked you...
I will be in Craig for the month of August and am looking for suggestions on things to do and a place to rent for just a month. Any suggestions? You mentioned the Yampa river...does it have whitewater? Do any companies offer rafting on it? Thanks for your help!

Old 07-12-2007, 02:29 PM

106 posts, read 510,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborharley View Post
I can tell you from experience, Vail, Aspen or any ski resort is NOT a NORMAL town. Housing in these areas is out of sight! .
This is the issue... I could give you my "best" place in Colorado (Telluride) but I could never make a living there. The best place for me to make my living would definately be Denver, but I really don't want to live in Denver.

As for the worst places in Colorado... I'm not going to chime in on that one. Only bad things come out of ripping someone else's hometown.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:13 PM

13,729 posts, read 21,548,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
Ha! Hilarious! Yes!

I love it, Jazzlover. You are 100% completely right. Boulder is Colorado's black eye--it's filled with Massachusetts and Chicago hippies who would be spewed out of the rest of Colorado should they ever choose to leave Boulder city limits. You'll be lucky to find any real coloradan there.

My favorite part of the state--besides where I live--is the Eastern Plains down by Bent's Fort near La Junta and Lamar. The folks down there represent the down-home, resilient, patriotic spirit that Colorado embodies. They may not have fancy doctorates and drink the poshest wine--but they're hard-working, God-fearing Americans and they are what it means to be a Coloradan.

I went to school in Boulder and I could frankly care less about Boulder' "honors." I don't see what's so great about Boulder and the spandex-clad tofu-slurpers therein. In Colorado we care about our country, our families, our jobs, our faith, etc. In Boulder they care about lattes and trees. You tell me me which is the better place to live.
Nice to see someone prop the Ark Valley for a change! Spandex-clad tofu-spurpers! Bah!

Last edited by McGowdog; 07-12-2007 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: You can not give reputation to this user. That's too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado