Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 01:04 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,364,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Muck, mucking, muck out. "Muck" was originally used as a term for waste rock generated during mining. Miners that moved the muck out of the mine were known as "muckers." Later, mucking machines came along to do some of the work. Used commonly today as a term for clutter or as a verb to describe cleaning out clutter and debris. "I think I'll go muck out my office today."
My husband used to work for Climax Molybdenum. When they had a big layoff, the guys laid off had T-shirts that said: "I got the muck out".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 10:02 PM

18,177 posts, read 25,731,624 times
I might get nailed with a negative pm on this but here goes! I worked 28 years power plant construction, pipelines, roadwork, and freight. At various times the foreman or general foreman would take a day off, or a few days off. Their temporary would be dubbed by the craftsmen "Queen For A Day". Also if a guy was fired, he was "run off". In mining if you got fired you " got tramped".

Old 06-08-2008, 10:37 AM

719 posts, read 2,611,721 times
When I was roughnecking on drilling rigs a couple of summers to defray college costs, your shift (12 hrs.) would end only when your replacement showed up, called a "relief".
"You ain't done-your relief ain't here yet!"

Old 06-08-2008, 01:26 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,364,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
When I was roughnecking on drilling rigs a couple of summers to defray college costs, your shift (12 hrs.) would end only when your replacement showed up, called a "relief".
"You ain't done-your relief ain't here yet!"
I think that is true of most places where you do shift work, e.g. hospitals and the like. Have heard it used in hospitals.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:08 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,403,019 times
Well, in railroading, when a train crew member reaches his maximum hours of service (12 hours under the Federal Hours of Service law) he is said to "go dead." A relief crew is called a "hog-catching" crew, and the verb describing re-crewing is known as "dogging." To make things more interesting, if a train is held unduly at a siding, it is known as "getting stabbed." So, a conversation could go like this: "The crew on the LAUDEN got stabbed at Longmont for 2 hours and died at Louisville, so we'll need to get a hog-catching crew out there to dog them." Another industry with a whole set of slang terminology that practically is a language of its own.

Railroad slang here:

Railroad Language -- Lingo -- Dictionary

Old 06-08-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
No kidding. Bruce's in Severance was an institution.

As to the first statement, as we always said in Wyoming: "Wyoming--where men were men, women were few, and the sheep were nervous . . . "
Talking about the leavings of bull to steer Fri. got me salivating. Not to brag, but we're having a "Nut Fry" tonight, along with homemade cocktail sauce, sweet potatoes, fresh salad from the garden, and wild asparagus from this morning's hike with the dogs.
Ahhh, springtime in the rockies...

Old 06-08-2008, 05:10 PM

2,885 posts, read 7,111,460 times
Quote:
Talking about the leavings of bull to steer Fri. got me salivating. Not to brag, but we're having a "Nut Fry" tonight, along with homemade cocktail sauce, sweet potatoes, fresh salad from the garden, and wild asparagus from this morning's hike with the dogs.
The classic clueless question:

What color uniforms do your cattle guards wear?

Last edited by suzco; 06-08-2008 at 05:21 PM..

Old 06-08-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
The classic clueless question:

What color uniforms do your cattle guards wear?
snopes.com: Firing of Cattle Guards

I have actually had tourists ask me what a cattle guard is.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Ah! Wild asparagus. I don't like the store-bought stuff, but fresh wild asparagus--now that's another matter. A favorite place to gather it is on recently burned ditch banks where it will sprout profusely a couple of days after the burning. Great stuff, although you get black with soot when you pick it. That is another place where the locals will get downright territorial about their favorite "patch." Seen a couple of fights break out over that.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:25 AM

That's exactly where we find it. Naturally, we don't divulge it's origin. Burned irrigation ditches + rain + a couple of days of sunshine = ambrosia. Been a great spring for the stuff. Our clan surnames it "stinky pee", for obvious reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado