Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 11:30 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,654,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Speedo Man - If you've seen him riding his bike, you'll never forget it....

Irrigatin' boots also come in handy when Jazz tells stories about the old days
Ah, yes, Speedo Man! I haven't seen him around lately though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 12:40 AM

300 posts, read 1,254,069 times
this thread was fun! whats funny, is that colorado currently has radio ads playing in california that string together "colorado phrases" into a sentence (usually having to do with sports, outdoors, etc.) then the narrator translates it into english. then they tell everyone to consider beautiful, expansive, kick-back, fun colorado.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:40 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,373,837 times
One of my pet peeve about "pilgrims" (yes, that is the common rural Colorado term for "tourist") is when they don't know how to drive through a herd of sheep being driven down the highway.

One day I was driving up the road and came upon a herd of sheep. The car in front of me (from back East) stopped at the rear of the herd and just sat there. Now, the old adage is that if you stop, the sheep stop. So, after about 5 minutes of sitting while this feckless tourist sat watching the south end of about a thousand sheep pointing north (if you know sheep, this is not a pretty sight), I got out of my pickup, walked up to the guy's car and explained to him the facts of life about driving through a herd of sheep: Drive very slowly through the herd, and like the parting of the Red Sea, they will get out of the way for you. After a few more minutes of fretting, Easterner got enough huevos (another Western term) to follow my advice and drive slowly through the herd. The sheepherders (and I have never heard of one in the Rocky Mountain West referred to as a "shepherd") were quite amused by all of this. Just another ****in' day in paradise . . .

Old 06-10-2008, 10:37 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,346,087 times
i'd just run em over!

Old 06-10-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
i'd just run em over!

'til the sheep rancher caught up with you and "banded" you--if you know what I mean . . .

Old 06-11-2008, 03:18 AM

haha- jazzlover, you never cease to amaze me. i think it absurd that it bugs you when a tourist doesnt know how to drive when sheep are in the road. why the heck would they know how to do this?! haha! it would bug me if a local didnt know how, but someone who has probably never even heard of, let alone seen, sheep on the road? thats a bit harsh. =) but its to be expected from you, i suppose. you are the no. 1 "realist" on this board...

Old 06-11-2008, 10:33 AM

719 posts, read 2,609,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppyglam View Post
this thread was fun! whats funny, is that colorado currently has radio ads playing in california that string together "colorado phrases" into a sentence (usually having to do with sports, outdoors, etc.) then the narrator translates it into english. then they tell everyone to consider beautiful, expansive, kick-back, fun colorado.
I wish they'd knock it off...

Old 06-12-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
I wish they'd knock it off...

yeah, and you all wonder why everyone is so interested in colorado!

also, its not only the radio. in magazines they have huge, full color, gorgeous ads of colorado and different communities/vacation resorts. the ads are either for moving to colorado or for visiting a resort in colorado. i see them all the time in architectural digest and various other magazines.

your state WANTS people to move there! they want our tax dollars, our risidule income in the form of money being spent in local businesses and on services, they want our business to move there or be established there, they want us to own property and homes there. you all would not believe how accomidating everyone is at the chamber or city hall of various cities. they have literally given me loads and loads of information, emails, pdf. files on demographics, economy, etc. they are more than happy to hear we want to move there.

when i meet people in real life in colorado, and we tell them we want to relocate, they are more than happy to see us want that. they are genuinely interested in our plans, they are warm and sincere and seem happy that a young couple with a lot to offer would choose colorado to have a family, grow their careers, and live their life.

its only on this board that i get the negativity to newcomers. but its fine, i think its a little entertaining. i have to think that maybe the negativity is geared towards the transplants who have little to offer, who want to mooch off the system, who dont respect or stand in awe of nature, who dont value community and family and their life's work.

and if you really just dont want ANYONE new coming in, then oh well- i guess! no sweat off my back. im still gonna chuckle to myself when i read you guys. and i think that the older you get, the less happy you will be- because i think colorado will only gain more popularity, attract more transplants, etc.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:42 AM

719 posts, read 2,609,319 times
City halls, chambers of commerce, developers, and real estate geniuses. OF COURSE they're more than happy to welcome transplants without batting an eye!
There is this stuff, W-A-T-E-R, that will eventually preclude anymore grandiose exurban fantasies, not to mention the permanent energy predicament we're in.
BTW, the older I get, the more cheerful I am.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preppyglam View Post
and if you really just dont want ANYONE new coming in, then oh well- i guess! no sweat off my back. im still gonna chuckle to myself when i read you guys. and i think that the older you get, the less happy you will be- because i think colorado will only gain more popularity, attract more transplants, etc.
And sheer numbers will wreck the quality of life for everyone in the state--newcomers and old line natives alike. See: California.

I will admit this: there are plenty of local morons in Colorado (and plenty more who have moved in) who equate population growth directly with prosperity. There is a correlation--as long as there are adequate resources to support the additional population. When resources are no longer adequate (think: energy these days, and water in the West), population growth no longer is a positive economic force--it simply means more people must share finite or declining resources. Eventually, that means everyone must subsist on much less. That's where we are in the world, increasingly so in the United States, and rapidly getting there in Colorado. It's not a pretty picture--and it roots underlie a lot of the severe economic and social problems that are starting to emerge all over the place.

I truly do pity young people who are coming of age in this--they will never have the opportunities that I have had to enjoy many of the wonderful things in this country and this state. And if they think that video games, TV, fancy cars, and McMansions can ever remotely substitute for the natural beauty and priceless heritage of this state that we are so wantonly squandering--most of it for no productive purpose other than hedonistic, selfish consumption, then they themselves are a lot farther "gone" than I would ever hope to think. I'm not especially religious, but I can't help think that one of these days God is going to smite us for the way we have desecrated His priceless creations in the name of having a good time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado