Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 07:41 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,020,668 times

Advertisements

No kidding...there are six nests on the outside of my house, and the birds are making a racket and a terrible mess. They build some sort of mud-based nest that clings to the walls underneath the eaves of my house. Any idea what they are and how to rid the house of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 07:56 AM

1,652 posts, read 4,335,669 times
those are Swallow nests. Swallows are good birds, very acrobatic, and they go after a lot of insects, gliding through the air gulping them up (hence the name). They prefer to nest in large groups, from what I usually see.

I assume you must live near a canal or irrigation ditch or something...typically that's where they are too, usually living beneath overpasses or canal bridges, in order to gather up the mud to make their nests.

Not much you can do other than knock the nests down (assuming they don't have chicks) and try securing a fake owl or something to the corner of the house to keep them away.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:16 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,020,668 times
We live near a fairly large catchment pond. The birds are wonderful to watch soar through the air, but they are making a huge mess on outside of my house. On top of that, they start making a racket a dawn, so no one can sleep past about 5:00 a.m. Thanks for the tips.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:16 AM

530 posts, read 2,619,706 times
I heard they like certain types of houses, especially stucko. Don't know if thats what you have. Some neighbors down the street use owl statues to scare them away. This usually just lasts a few weeks a year, although it can get very messy! Good luck.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:17 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,703,917 times
well, if you were in california you'd be screwed.. not sure about colorado though

Old 06-09-2008, 09:23 AM

26,135 posts, read 48,790,090 times
We affixed a fake owl to the deck, keeps most birds from messing on the deck and my fine Irish fixtures (aka Patty O' Furniture). Hey, stop hitting me, I've waited YEARS to use that line! Late at night we hear other owls trying to talk (hit on?) our owl. What a HOOT! Hey, stop hitting me....

On some windows we have black peel and press silhouettes of a certain bird (swallow?) that scares away birds, the point is to keep them from crashing into large windows, which reflect the blue sky and like open airspace to birds.

Meanwhile, I do like birds . . . . flame broiled or roasted . . .

Old 06-09-2008, 09:32 AM

2,885 posts, read 7,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
well, if you were in california you'd be screwed.. not sure about colorado though
Same here. The Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act controls:

Quote:
Native birds such as warblers, swallows and hummingbirds are protected by the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Even birds that don’t generally migrate, such as robins and wrens and woodpeckers are protected under the Act. The Act prohibits destruction of nests with eggs or young. . .
Fish and Wildlife Service

Old 06-09-2008, 10:13 AM

7,138 posts, read 9,219,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
No kidding...there are six nests on the outside of my house, and the birds are making a racket and a terrible mess. They build some sort of mud-based nest that clings to the walls underneath the eaves of my house. Any idea what they are and how to rid the house of them?
Either ignore it, or get a high pressure nozzle for your hose and spray 'em down.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:13 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,931,864 times
Well, if it wasn't the swallows waking you up at 5am, there would be another bird of some sort. That seems to be the time (or earlier), when they all seem to get going. We have a bird here that is so loud tweeting at 4am....and that's with all the windows closed and the ceiling fans going.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:33 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,359,188 times
Oh, for crying out loud! Live with it. It is nature. I have many birds around my property with nests, chicks, and it a wonderful life. So, they are making a mess?? a racket??---big deal. You people make more of a racket with your leaf blowers, lawn mowers, hedge trimmers; your horseless carriages, your "music" and your show of your vanities. Let us not forget your barking dogs which you ignore.

Birds are eating insects; some of you believe that covering your yard with poisonous pesticides is better But that is good because you buy natural and organic foods...

You want to get rid of them--you can move to a sterile yuppie enclosed compound and make sure it is gated--so you cannot escape, and when the revolution comes we will know where to find you.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: