U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 02:39 PM

739 posts, read 2,680,754 times

Advertisements

you may have some luck with duplexes and/or homes in the Holly Hills/University Park/harvard gulch area? check craigslist. I think it will be tough, maybe 1K a month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 03:54 PM

52 posts, read 202,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstar View Post
Wow were those first 2 posts helpful or what? Do some research online, find a place to stay, find a job, and MOVE!! I just moved to Lakewood from Georgia abou 10 days ago. Literally I dropped what I was doing and, moved to Colorado with a buddy(i did not even have a job lined up). Colorado kicks a** man, you will not regret moving here. Lazy, weak, fearful people want you to be like them, dont listen to the BS about jobs being hard to find, or housing being hard to find.(finding a cheap home to rent is harder than in the south though.) Save some starting out money and you will be fine bottom line.
It just seems rather redundant to post the same info over and over again - no? Was trying to be helpful as there are lots of threads on this forum with tons of great posts that this person would miss out on if they didn't use the Search feature...these prior threads are also related to exactly what they are asking about. They actually have much more info than what you have offered up.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:34 PM

85,086 posts, read 99,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NE Live View Post
It just seems rather redundant to post the same info over and over again - no? Was trying to be helpful as there are lots of threads on this forum with tons of great posts that this person would miss out on if they didn't use the Search feature...these prior threads are also related to exactly what they are asking about. They actually have much more info than what you have offered up.
I agree. People ask the same questions over and over again. Where to rent, etc, etc. People ask about snow in July. People ask about good schools over and over and over again. It gets quite redundant. I don't blame people for wanting to know this information, heck, it's important when you're moving. But doing a search is just doing basic research.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-21-2008 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: fix bold word

Old 03-21-2008, 08:34 PM

4 posts, read 9,626 times
thanks everyone i really appreciate everything. i know alot of this has been posted before and trust me i have spent hours reading it...it just seems a little more personal when i ask it and there isnt much about having a big dog and such. my dog has been raised mostly in a condo with a very small backyard so this is something i can deal with. thanks for all the info and im going to looks into everything and hopefully will be out there in less than a year!

Old 03-22-2008, 08:55 PM

2,537 posts, read 5,835,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty7 View Post
thanks everyone i really appreciate everything. i know alot of this has been posted before and trust me i have spent hours reading it...it just seems a little more personal when i ask it and there isnt much about having a big dog and such. my dog has been raised mostly in a condo with a very small backyard so this is something i can deal with. thanks for all the info and im going to looks into everything and hopefully will be out there in less than a year!
You're more than welcome to go to one of the threads mentioned and post your questions there for personal attention.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:24 PM

35 posts, read 90,508 times
Default After one year in Denver...

my girlfriend and I moved to Denver about a year ago from tampa. all in all i'd say we like it. the weather is much more agreeable, even when it snows. the mountains are beautiful. downtown has a ton to offer. i could go on.

as seen on other boards, this city/state has a lot to offer, so i wont harp.

here's what i've found that i either didnt expect or was disappointed to find (keep in mind, this is my perspective and opinion, not a denver bashing session):

-it has a bit of a mid west/open plains feel. obviously, half of the state [i]is[i] open plains. but it feels, at times a little cowish/country. which leads me to my next point

-other than municipal denver, boulder and fort collins, this is a very conservative state. florida is too, but it feels that the people are much more in your face about it here. more preachy (i.e. CO Springs). of course, this isnt every case, but in my personal experience.

-the sunshine is great. but like all great things, it can get old at times. coming from the sunshine state, there's something to be said for overcast, rainy days. i knew denver got a lot of sun before i moved here, but i was hoping for a little more gloom in the winter.

-it feels a bit isolated. looking at a map that much is evident. but the nearest city worth visiting you have to fly to. not really a big deal for now, but once i've grown bored w/ the city...

-the personal bubble issue. maybe because im from the east coast and my parents are new yorkers, but i feel i have a right to a personal bubble. why is it constantly violated on-line at the grocery store? im checking out, waiting to pay and the next person walks up and im literally elbow to elbow with them. now, if im on the rush hour 7 train out of queens, this predicament is unavoidable and quite normal. but at safeway and its only us? are we really that comfortable with each other? i mean, we've only know each other for...wait...we dont know each other...[mod cut] whats your problem? can someone please explain this to me? this drives my girlfriend and i completely crazy.

those are my only gripes. other than that, this was a great move on our part. it was all gut instinct. we'd only been on skiing vacations before moving here and had only driven through denver. our gamble paid off. thanks for letting me rant.

cheers!

Last edited by suzco; 04-21-2008 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: no profanity, please

Old 04-21-2008, 07:04 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,968,962 times
All of it so true ....

Old 04-21-2008, 07:06 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,206,233 times
Scanner,

This is a good post--gave you a rep. Nice to here a honest review, after a year.

I do not agree with it all. I am from New York and I think people in New York, especially NYC, have less of a personal space. It is a result of the European influence where people talked closer to each other, used their hands and touch each other, mostly on the arms and shoulders. However, my point of view may be is that I may be much older than you, and my experiences in NY had more contact with many European Immigrants.

Also, the Denver is in the West--the biggest City and on the Great Plains. I would hope it continues to have a unique identity of "cowish/country", as you said. It would be a bland country if everything was the same. This is a very isolated area with many wide open spaces and frontier counties--another difference that I hope never changes. All these differences are under the one big influence--the sun; this what really makes the West and the people that I admire.

Livecontent

Old 04-21-2008, 09:54 PM

61 posts, read 202,489 times
I too have lived here just over a year and am very happy with our move. Prior to this, we spent 6 mos. in N. Tucson (Catalina) but prior to that we were Michigan natives.

When we moved here last April it seemed very green compared to Tucson, but when we visited Michigan in Sept, we'd forgotten how green Mich. is. But....with that green comes rain. I never had to worry about a summer event getting rained out. Although I agree that June & July where everyday was hot & sunny got to be a bit much. One cloudy, cool, rainy day would have been nice.

Biggest surprise....cost to register a vehicle. YIKES!

I haven't noticed the lack of personal space, but there are so many people here from other places that you can't really say it's a Colorado thing.

I love the "cowiness" because I have a horse that chases 'em!

Old 04-21-2008, 10:32 PM

592 posts, read 1,929,872 times
scanner, when I cuddle up to you in line don't take it personal, I'm just trying to get some of that Florida sunshine you brought with ya ! It's always a long winter don't ya know : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or