U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 10:42 PM

1,618 posts, read 5,852,414 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your feedback. I did notice you said this:
Quote:
-the sunshine is great. but like all great things, it can get old at times. coming from the sunshine state, there's something to be said for overcast, rainy days. i knew denver got a lot of sun before i moved here, but i was hoping for a little more gloom in the winter.
You should be living in Seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 05:31 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,211,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner View Post
-it feels a bit isolated. looking at a map that much is evident. but the nearest city worth visiting you have to fly to. not really a big deal for now, but once i've grown bored w/ the city...
I'm with you here. Actually, in terms of international flights, Denver is doing a lot better than it did years before. But yeah, they don't call 'em wide open spaces for nothing.
Quote:
-the personal bubble issue. maybe because im from the east coast and my parents are new yorkers, but i feel i have a right to a personal bubble. why is it constantly violated on-line at the grocery store? im checking out, waiting to pay and the next person walks up and im literally elbow to elbow with them. now, if im on the rush hour 7 train out of queens, this predicament is unavoidable and quite normal. but at safeway and its only us? are we really that comfortable with each other? i mean, we've only know each other for...wait...we dont know each other...[mod cut] whats your problem? can someone please explain this to me? this drives my girlfriend and i completely crazy.
I'm with you here,too, as well, at least as far as my experience goes.
But I think it's just supermarket behavior.
Let me explain: I moved from Denver, where the people behind me in the grocery check-out invariably come *right up* behind me, elbow to elbow just as you describe--to north Florida, where people politely give me some space and I never feel hurried or infiltrated.
I can't think of any other occasion where this happened to me in Denver: not waiting in line (notice I said "in" line, not "on" line) for Botanic Gardens concert tickets, not at a Broncos game, not even on the #15 Colfax bus.
It was strictly a grocery store phenomenon.
Perhaps it developed with Type A Denverites. As supermarkets introduced the new custom of unloading our own shopping carts,the stressed-out Type As, unable to wait because they just have to empty those carts, began creeping up in line, sort of like a car at a red light.
The Type B's just inwardly sigh--and deal with it.
Does King Soops still unload for the customer? That kept a little bit of distance between folks in line.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:33 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,158,706 times
Hmmm.....in almost a year here myself I have never witnessed this grocery store phenomenon.....what have I been missing???

Old 04-22-2008, 09:37 AM

85,051 posts, read 99,018,950 times
Quote:
Does King Soops still unload for the customer? That kept a little bit of distance between folks in line.
Yes, they do. I too, have never personally experienced this grocery-store thing, but I've sure noticed a lot of line-hopping and so on that I never saw back in Champaign, IL (from whence I came here). It irritates me to be in line and another line opens up and the person behind me goes over and gets out before me, sometimes way before. This happens at Kohl's, Hobby Lobby, you name it. It's not just grocery stores.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:07 AM

35 posts, read 90,449 times
livecontent-

i know what you mean about the european influence in the city. both sets of my grandparents were irish immigrants and fairly hands on. but here it seems strange in a sense because its a place of such wide open spaces, why crowd each other? lets breath. thanks for the rep, too! *highfive*

wyomiles-

long winter is fine. if you want some of my FL sunshine you can have it! i sweated it out down there long enough!

mike- i like cold, rainy days. but i dunno if i like it that much.

bluewillowplate- type-A's, huh? i guess that could explain it. especially when im on-line at cherry creek mall.

thanks for responding everyone!

Old 04-22-2008, 10:27 AM

1,536 posts, read 5,424,937 times
Nice to hear you are, overall, happy with your move to Denver. It is nice to have the honesty and yet interesting as some of what you found bothersome is what some folks really like about Denver. The sunshine, the open spaces, the cowtown feel, etc. Some even like that folks are right next to them in lines verses total avoidance. Maybe you are just, as Paris Hilton would say, "hot", and folks are drawn to you? I am probably not hot, as I don't experience this in Denver. China Town in San Francisco and the Village in NYC are my worst experiences with having personal spaces intruded upon. Nothing like that here, at least for me.

I am with you about needing an occassional cloudy day here and there, but when it does happen, I am worthless at the gym and at work because I just want to stay in bed and read. I think the sun is what helps to keep our title as the fittest state becuase it compelles you to be outside and doing something. One of my friends moved to Portland a few years back and said that he loved the rain, but he also just wanted to stay inside and watch TV, read or eat. He gained 25 pounds in his first year there and now calls it Pork-land.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:45 AM

930 posts, read 2,124,540 times
AFTER 25 YEARS IN DENVER....

Sunshine rocks. And Denver ain't got it. [mod cut]

Last edited by suzco; 04-22-2008 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: No personal attacks

Old 04-22-2008, 12:39 PM

2,015 posts, read 4,906,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner View Post
my girlfriend and I moved to Denver about a year ago from tampa. all in all i'd say we like it. the weather is much more agreeable, even when it snows. the mountains are beautiful. downtown has a ton to offer. i could go on.

as seen on other boards, this city/state has a lot to offer, so i wont harp.

here's what i've found that i either didnt expect or was disappointed to find (keep in mind, this is my perspective and opinion, not a denver bashing session):

-it has a bit of a mid west/open plains feel. obviously, half of the state [i]is[i] open plains. but it feels, at times a little cowish/country. which leads me to my next point

-other than municipal denver, boulder and fort collins, this is a very conservative state. florida is too, but it feels that the people are much more in your face about it here. more preachy (i.e. CO Springs). of course, this isnt every case, but in my personal experience.

-the sunshine is great. but like all great things, it can get old at times. coming from the sunshine state, there's something to be said for overcast, rainy days. i knew denver got a lot of sun before i moved here, but i was hoping for a little more gloom in the winter.

-it feels a bit isolated. looking at a map that much is evident. but the nearest city worth visiting you have to fly to. not really a big deal for now, but once i've grown bored w/ the city...

-the personal bubble issue. maybe because im from the east coast and my parents are new yorkers, but i feel i have a right to a personal bubble. why is it constantly violated on-line at the grocery store? im checking out, waiting to pay and the next person walks up and im literally elbow to elbow with them. now, if im on the rush hour 7 train out of queens, this predicament is unavoidable and quite normal. but at safeway and its only us? are we really that comfortable with each other? i mean, we've only know each other for...wait...we dont know each other...[mod cut] whats your problem? can someone please explain this to me? this drives my girlfriend and i completely crazy.

those are my only gripes. other than that, this was a great move on our part. it was all gut instinct. we'd only been on skiing vacations before moving here and had only driven through denver. our gamble paid off. thanks for letting me rant.

cheers!
Good posting, traveling the country can be an eye-opener, you really "notice" things and appreciate where you are.

Denver/Boulder/Aurora/Golden and the suburb metro area currently houses 3 million out of the 5 million residents. CO and FL has some similar trends, which is FL has the great beaches, and CO has the great ski resorts so it does attract second home owners. Both have quite a few military bases and as population increases, it attracts more businesses into the area. Out of this 3 million residents about 50% are from out-of-state originally and it makes the region a lot more unique, transient, than the rest of Colorado which is very rural and spread out. It does mean that the State is left-leaning populaton wise but all centered in one area 60 mile radius or so.

I don't know where you live but Denver does get the afternoon showers in summer, almost everyday last summer if I recall clearly, if that counts for any rain? But I agree the sun does get very intense here, partly altitude, partly the 250 or so cloudless days. As for the elbow room, I can tell you that some Coloradians move to CA and NY for better opportunities but things are just a lil more slow paced and people are a lot less stressed out here (midwest feel like you said), reason why many others chose to move to Colorado.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:12 PM

346 posts, read 1,419,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, they do. I too, have never personally experienced this grocery-store thing, but I've sure noticed a lot of line-hopping and so on that I never saw back in Champaign, IL (from whence I came here). It irritates me to be in line and another line opens up and the person behind me goes over and gets out before me, sometimes way before. This happens at Kohl's, Hobby Lobby, you name it. It's not just grocery stores.
When a new line opens up it's intended for the next person in line. Unfortunately, some people don't seem to comprehend that little detail.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:00 PM

13,730 posts, read 21,553,368 times
I see good checkers pointing to the person who would be next to come over to the new line.

Too bad it has to come to that.

We were out in the Denver area this last weekend and I miss Denver. The weather was fantastic. I wanted to take pictures of everything from Surrey Ridge to Park Meadows to the bike path along C-470 going west up to Lookout Mountain, but my camera skill while driving wouldn't have done it justice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or