U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 03:41 PM

39 posts, read 93,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
ok... it's just that we are 93 million miles away from the sun. the elevation change is not a valid reason for a perceived increase in sun exposure.

it's probably because of the thinner atmosphere and diminished protection from UV rays.
Actually, my friend, it is. Don't believe me? I found more sources to back me up:

"In addition, living at higher elevations, where the sunlight is strongest, exposes you to more radiation and increases your chances of sunburn and skin damage." from Sunburn: Risk factors - MayoClinic.com

and:

"Did you know that during the winter, you are more likely to get sunburned skiing in Idaho on a clear day than you would sunbathing in Florida? ...Reflection off the snow and exposure at high elevations increases the risk for sunburn during the winter." from NBC Newschannel 6 Where News Comes First - Winter Sunburns

and:

"
You may get a more severe sunburn depending on:
Altitude. It is easy to get sunburned at higher altitudes," from Sunburn-Topic Overview
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 04:19 PM

3,556 posts, read 8,882,607 times
From Sunburn Topic Overview - WebMD

"Altitude. It is easy to get sunburned at higher altitudes, because there is less of the earth's atmosphere to block the sunlight. UV exposure increases about 4% for every 1000 ft gain in elevation."

Yes... that's what I said.
I was only commenting on the whole "being closer to the sun" thing. Am I missing something?

Old 06-30-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Am I missing something?
I was responding to this: "the elevation change is not a valid reason for a perceived increase in sun exposure."

Old 06-30-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by co_native_sweetie View Post
I was responding to this: "the elevation change is not a valid reason for a perceived increase in sun exposure."

I was refering to being closer to the sun at a higher elevation.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:57 PM

Yes, well, we are. I'm not exactly sure why you felt the need to respond to my original post. I'm right in what I said. Any more comments?

Old 06-30-2008, 05:03 PM

Que?

Yes... you're closer to the sun. No, that's not the reason the sun is more dangerous to your skin. Yes, the atmosphere is thinner at higher elevations. Yes, UV rays are more intense in thinner elevations.

I think it's the way you worded the post... the difference between you and the sun and someone from Florida and the sun would not impact the UV intensity in any way. I'm not trying to make you angry... I just thought the post was funny.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:09 PM

Lol, you're awfully nit-picky. I'm sorry I didn't word that to your satisfaction the first time and give the original author of this thread the UV and atmosphere details obviously necessary to make any sense...

Right fighter much?

Old 06-30-2008, 07:05 PM

I just thought it was funny... my father is an astronomer... he used to make me eat my words when I was younger... just thought I'd pass it on to you.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:40 AM

1,618 posts, read 5,856,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
There is supposedly a new grocery store opening in Denver in the fall.
Really that's all, no upcoming starbucks?

Old 07-02-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I just thought it was funny... my father is an astronomer... he used to make me eat my words when I was younger... just thought I'd pass it on to you.
Well you should realize people just think it's obnoxious and will avoid talking to you. But hey, to each his own...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or