U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 10:00 AM
tao

720 posts, read 2,917,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddez29 View Post
Hi, My husband and I went to Denver, Co this July and loved it. We are planning to move to Denver. We have both lived most of our lives in Miami and have not moved anywhere else before especially away from our families to a strange place. I wanted to know if anyone has moved from Miami to Colorado and how well did they adapt? is it hard to adapt to the snow? Thank you!
I'm from Miami Beach and I lived in Colorado in the early 90's then moved moved back to Florida for family reasons. Finally, after so many years spent pining for Colorado (after realizing it was the best place I ever lived), I moved back last year, with my husband. I didn't have any problems adapting either time.

But some people do have trouble adapting to the weather (especially those from warm weather states like Florida and California). You should come out during the height of winter - January/February - and see if it still feels right. In Broomfield (a suburb between Denver and Boulder), you can rent short term apartments (at Camden Interlocken) starting from a two month lease and up. That might be an option for you. It's probably a good idea to live here for a couple of months during the winter and see how you like it before you make the big, final move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 07:16 PM

23 posts, read 53,585 times
Thank you all for your help! It has been so helpful. I am just tired of Miami. I was actually amazed that Denver has night life which was one of my main fears, I mean I don't wanna move to a boring place but this wasn't even a concern there! We are planning to move in 2011 as well since I want to finish my PSY.D over there ( maybe we can meet up over there TWOWOLVES since you mentioned you are moving too lol). I think my main fear would be that is just me and my husband in a strange feeling and learning to deal with the snow, missing family and not having my cuban food lol! but if we are happy that would be nothing! I noticed most people in Denver are so nice that at times I was like "what do they want?" lol people in Miami are not like that at all so if you ever visit Miami remember that. Also we went to Water World (kinda sucked though) and people would go in the water and would leave their purses and stuff --- please don't ever do that in Miami! I don't mean to talk bad about Miami, I mean it is a beautiful city but I don't feel comfortable here for many reasons such as the type of rudeness and stuff you see here.

why I hate Miami?

1- people are super rude and nosy--- noone holds the doors for you, noone says thank you, everyone is staring at you to see what you are doing and why --- even if you have limo tints people are still looking!!!!!!!!!!!

2- I will soon be a college graduate and don't feel Miami is a good place to move up (it has been rated as the worse place for young college graduate professionals)

3- it is soooo humid, you lucky Colorado people you have no idea!! try to stand under a tree in Miami and you will be so burnt that the fire department would arrive unlike Colorado

4- it is full of the same hispanic people ( im hispanic but after awhile they drive me nuts! many are rude and think they own this place)

5- Miami is an expensive city ( I have heard people complaining about Co been expensive - come to Miami and you will change your mind)

6- people here are super materialistic -- in denver we passed by Cherry Creek and most of the rich people have normal cars and stuff because they enjoy life --- Miami you need a BMW for people to think good about you even if you can't afford it!

Old 11-11-2008, 07:18 PM

Default I Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
Ha...we live in Boynton Beach, north of Ft. Lauderdale and Boca Raton...we are also moving to Denver but not until 2011.

We are going to visit there next summer for a good week to check out the different areas though.

We can't wait to get out of here!

I agree with you! We loved Littleton and Cherry Creek but Cheery Creek is more for rich people I guess. Send me an e-mail when you all move lol! At least we will know someone

Old 11-11-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Ranger: Hey you, how's life? Well, I'm trying not to think of it that way. I mean, I don't think Miami will be my paradise by any means. Same life, different locale. I hope the people moving here aren't thinking Denver will be paradise. Perhaps more of a life adjustment.

Life is a paradise depending how you live it. I have never moved to another state to it will be a bit strange at first but I am willing to adapt.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
I'm from Miami Beach and I lived in Colorado in the early 90's then moved moved back to Florida for family reasons. Finally, after so many years spent pining for Colorado (after realizing it was the best place I ever lived), I moved back last year, with my husband. I didn't have any problems adapting either time.

But some people do have trouble adapting to the weather (especially those from warm weather states like Florida and California). You should come out during the height of winter - January/February - and see if it still feels right. In Broomfield (a suburb between Denver and Boulder), you can rent short term apartments (at Camden Interlocken) starting from a two month lease and up. That might be an option for you. It's probably a good idea to live here for a couple of months during the winter and see how you like it before you make the big, final move.
It's great to see someone go through the same thing. I really want to move but what you said is a great idea about doing a short term lease. We wanna go back and stay about 1 week or so and see how we adapt. We were there for about 4 days and I was so sad when we had to come back! I would definitely want to live in Denver though, I like the city not the farm side lol!

Old 11-25-2008, 04:24 PM

309 posts, read 748,946 times
i lived im light house point for 5 yrs
then moved to aspen
for the last 10 yrs

Old 12-04-2008, 06:24 PM

394 posts, read 1,340,176 times
I just moved from Key West to Denver, but really, I have experience in winter weather from growing up in Indiana. I have a good post on my 2nd month, a newcomer's perspective. Check it out. Honestly, you'll find a ton of differences from Miami...

Good luck, and there's snow on the ground, and it's in the low 20's something to keep in mind...

Old 12-07-2008, 10:53 PM

41 posts, read 140,621 times
I moved from Pembroke Pines to Castle Rock a town about 30 miles south of Denver and absolutely love it. It is NIGHT AND DAY different (in a good way) from Miami/South FL. People are nice, weather is great (no rain everyday and no humidity; cold sometimes but that's what jackets are for), nightlife if great, scenery is much nicer..

Old 12-25-2008, 01:15 AM

9 posts, read 32,610 times
Talking Re-locating to DENVER in Spring??!??

I currently live in Orlando and deeply hate it. FLORIDA is a Slavedriver state. So I am ESTATIC to say that my husband and I will be relocating to Denver in April. My husband was offered a position making 80,000 a year as a Airline Inspector at DIA. I was wondering if anyone had any insights for a family of four. I was hoping to live in Dowtown Denver and possibly rent a two bedroom or more for the max. price of 1,000 a month. Also, does Denver residents pay gas and water seperately? Is the Public Transportation reliable? (as in example: NYC MTA runs 24/7) Where are some good location where I should be looking? Education? Employment?

Old 12-25-2008, 01:18 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,961,026 times
Gas and water are seperate.

That money and 4 people in downtown are not likely.

That (rent, downtown, and good schools) are mutually exclusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or