U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 08:45 AM

615 posts, read 2,722,657 times

Advertisements

cflmmo,

If you are looking to have a wedding business in Colorado, you do need to be mindful that in the summer we do often get afternoon thunderstorms.

I remember my sister's wedding and reception was at a golf course. It was summer and sure enough there was a thunderstorm that blew in. Fortunately, a big tent was setup so we moved inside it. Though, that didn't stop the water from cascading under the edge of the tent and through to the other side (the tent was on a bit of a slope).

During the summer you always need to have a backup plan in case of rain. Planning activities in the morning does help, since they are usually beautiful. It is the afternoons that the thunderstorms tend to roll in. That is not to say that every afternoon we get rain, so don't get me wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2006, 10:33 PM

15 posts, read 72,920 times
Default Fl to Denver

I lived in Florida for 14 before moving to CO. I can't comment on the type of business you would pursue here because I don't know anyting about it.

I think you will like the weather though. The winters are mild. It snows but doesn't stay aroung. Average temp is 50 without humidity, which is mild.

As far has your cultural heritage, I seriously doubt you would have any problems. There is a large Hispanic community here. people are friendly and over-all non-judgmental.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:07 PM

226 posts, read 1,111,556 times
if you are from florida and originally from the caribbean, you probably won't like the snow too much. that said, it does seem to melt off the roads fairly quickly. unfortunately, you will most likely not be able to avoid having to drive on snow. i am originally from florida and have been living here in colorado for several years now and i still haven't gotten used to the winters.

Old 11-16-2006, 05:07 AM

38 posts, read 111,498 times
Default South Florida relocating to Colorado

My family and I have been wanting to relocate for quite sum time, we really want to get as far away from Florida as possible!!! I'm 24 and would be relocating with my mother, we have considered places such as Austin Texis great night life, job market and housing is faily affordable, but tooo hott. I would like to find a place that would accomedate the both of us so we have been considering Colorado. I'm young and would like to live in a hip town were there's tons to do, and my mom's more concered with the job market and how affordable housing is, can any1 give me any info tht would point us in the right direction!!!

Old 11-16-2006, 09:40 PM

649 posts, read 2,649,852 times
Well, you will love the scenery in Colorado. It is amazing, there is always something to do in all 4 seasons. Denver tends to be more expensive then Colorado Springs. Denver probably has a better night life then the Springs, but the Springs has improved alot in that area. You could always look into Ft. Collins too, a College town that is more affordable. Boulder is VERY expensive. Hope that helps, bashep

Old 11-16-2006, 10:26 PM

827 posts, read 4,542,954 times
Anika, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, metro Denver are great places with a lot of activity. Durango is another city with tons of stuff to do, but it is not as large as the others. Boulder is a great city as well, but as mentioned above, is on the costly side. There is a lot of info on the Colorado forum on all these cities. Simply use the search function on this forum and type in the city you are looking for and you will see all the posts about each city you type. I would suggest searching by posts, as some threads may not list the name of the city, but will be down in a post.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:21 AM
tao

720 posts, read 2,916,837 times
If you're from Dade, Broward or Palm Beach county Boulder won't seem that expensive. I'm from Miami and I don't think Boulder is that expensive, certainly not as expensive as Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Boca, West Palm, etc.

What part of Florida are you from and what kind of lifestyle are you looking for?

Old 11-20-2006, 04:35 AM

38 posts, read 111,498 times
Hi Tao,
I live in Plantation, employed in Fort Lauderdale. I was raised in Manhattan, spent summers in Upstate, NY. I raised 3 children as a single parent and got stuck here. I sadly lost my only support, my father,last year and my disabled mother whom I have taken care of my whole life is now in a specal home. I have a 24 year old daughter. I am a former jazz dancer, artsy, young spirited (older hippie), hard worker with high energy. I am liberal minded and an animal lover.I wld like to be able to have short commute to work. I am employed as a receptionist/law clerk for a stuffy law firm but I am grateful to be employed and have health insurance. My daughter likes the night life and I would like to take it down for a while from living in such a high stress for so long. I need a home that is affordable where my dogs can run. I live in an apt. which due to the economy and hurricane here has gone up immensely. This feels very scary to make such a big change at 55 but I apreciate your response. Hope this gives you an idea of what I am looking for.
Anika

Old 11-20-2006, 08:49 AM

20,310 posts, read 37,810,444 times
Anika: Go to the Colorado Springs forum. Use the Search this Forum tool and enter the key word "Manitou" and you'll find what you're asking for in the way of a hip artsy place.

It is next door to Colorado Springs, so most of what you read in that forum will also be good to know.

s/Mike

Old 11-20-2006, 09:24 AM
tao

720 posts, read 2,916,837 times
I recommend taking a look at the different towns/cities you have in mind and see which feels right. Boulder could certainly fit the bill. Probably the best restaurants in all of Colorado, artsy, vibrant, close to everything (Denver and all it has to offer, the airport, Ft Collins, Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park, etc.), it has tons of little bars and clubs, has music, dance, theater, plus there's all the outdoorsy stuff to do like hiking, horseback riding, skiing in Eldora. There's definitely a hippie vibe but there's more than just hippies. Boulder has all types of people. Pearl Street Mall is just like Lincoln Road in South Beach (but a bit more laid back) and is great for people watching.

If you find the cost of housing too high in Boulder but love what it has to offer there are plenty of suburbs around it - Louisville, Superior, Broomfield, Longmont, Niwot, Erie. I'm from Miami but currently live in Port St Lucie. We're moving to Superior which is a 10 minute drive from downtown Boulder. You can get a newish 4 bedroom/2+ bath house there for the high 200's/low 300's.

Of course, check out the places other people recommend. I only know Boulder really well (I used to live there in the early 90's) so that's what I'm telling you about. Come out for a visit and compare all the places on your list and see what feels like the best fit for both yourself and your daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or