U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 05:28 PM

85,100 posts, read 99,245,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
The whole "move where the best schools are" thing is a farce. There are highly underperforming schools, which are usually violent, and there are schools which perform well on the standardized tests. Picking the top scoring schools over the next top scoring schools is an effort in futility and I'll tell you why.

The term "best schools" means highest scoring on standardized tests. The biggest influence on those scores is parental involvement- parents making their kids do their homework and helping kids when the kids need help. The highest scoring schools have the greatest % of actively involved parents. These are usually situations where most of the parents are themselves educated. That means that if a school A has 90% of students with actively involved parents and a school B has 80% of students with actively involved parents, school A will typically score higher on the standardized tests. School B will score well, but won't be considered "the best schools." Nonetheless a student WITH actively involved parents can do just as well at school B as at school A. The decision to go to school A just because it's the highest actually gets the kid NO BENEFIT over school B since the parents being involved will help that child do just as well on standardized tests and on the SAT. Now remember I'm comparing top scoring schools to good scoring schools that are not the top. Underperforming schools, which are typically violent, have a negative influence on a child's performance due to the violence and also to the excessive number of students who have low expectations because of LACK of parental involvement. But as far as the "best schools" versus the good scoring schools which are not at the top, there is no benefit for a child to go to the top scoring school.

Secondly, studies have shown that those standardized tests are not accurate predictors of collegiate success. In other words, many times students who have done well on the standardized tests have struggled once they got to college. And for most actively involved parents, the goal is 1)get the kid into a good college, 2)prepare the kid for collegiate success. Guess what that means? Chasing standardized test scores is not an accurate way to guarantee your child is prepared for collegiate success. So the whole basis of "best schools" is based on something that is NOT a predictor of college success. So why chase it? Why not chase what IS a good predictor of collegiate success? And that is active parental involvement and them setting high standards.

So how SHOULD people pick a neighborhood to live in? Find out what the "best schools" are but also what the "good schools" are. Stay away from the underperformers. Then, of that list, add in other factors that are important, and for different people these will be different. It might be best area for recreation, or closest area to downtown, or area with the most historical architecture, or area with the newer planned community homes, etc. Of course real estate agents LOVE the "best schools" talk because usually those neighborhoods carry the highest price tag and thus they get the highest commission. Often you can get the same house for less money in a "good schools" district versus in a "best schools" district. In other words, you can save money and STILL get the same result for your child.

Save the "best schools" rhetoric for when it really DOES matter- college. Harvard or UPenn business is "best schools." And the name of the school on the degree matters to employers. The name of the high school to college admissions, not so much so. Therefore the "best schools" thing is a farce.
The above is true as far as it goes. As someone who has been involved with schools for years with the League of Women Voters (speaking only for myself right now), there is usually very little difference between a "best school" and a "good school". However, as you go down the line, there is a lot of difference between a "best school" and a "failing" school.

Standardized scores are a big component of college admissions at most colleges, regardless of what the admissions officers tell you.

I do think most people would do well to buy/rent in a neighborhood the connect with. As a friend once said to me, when I was moving to a strange town, "You're not going to buy a house in an area with bad schools".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 05:50 PM

20,378 posts, read 37,943,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickMuze View Post
I currently live in Orlando and deeply hate it. FLORIDA is a Slavedriver state. So I am ESTATIC to say that my husband and I will be relocating to Denver in April. My husband was offered a position making 80,000 a year as a Airline Inspector at DIA. I was wondering if anyone had any insights for a family of four. I was hoping to live in Dowtown Denver and possibly rent a two bedroom or more for the max. price of 1,000 a month. Also, does Denver residents pay gas and water seperately? Is the Public Transportation reliable? (as in example: NYC MTA runs 24/7) Where are some good location where I should be looking? Education? Employment?
With $115k per year you should do well here.

Get a realtor. I'm not one, nor in the biz in any way.

LOTS of stuff in this forum. If you've the luxury of time, use the index and the search tool. TONS of info here.

Denver is a fine city, lots to do. Lots of in town neighborhoods that you'd probably like. We've a thread on that, see index.

You're gonna love Colorado.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:14 AM

23 posts, read 53,712 times
Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawadvocate View Post
I moved from Pembroke Pines to Castle Rock a town about 30 miles south of Denver and absolutely love it. It is NIGHT AND DAY different (in a good way) from Miami/South FL. People are nice, weather is great (no rain everyday and no humidity; cold sometimes but that's what jackets are for), nightlife if great, scenery is much nicer..
One of my main concerns was the night life, althought I don't go to clubs etc... here in Miami, it is nice to know I have it. One of my main fears of adjustments was the nightlife since both my husband and I are young, but I am sure the nightlife is still good. When we visited Denver we went out at night in the Downtown and they seemed to have a lot of nightlife, although we couldn't do much because we were with my step-siblings. I like to live in the city so I would definitely need to live in Denver not on a lonely mountain town. Oh yeah and the people are nice is definitely true! I live in Miami Lakes right now and Pembroke Pines has slighty less rude people than Miami does. In Denver people were so nice that I started wondering if they wanted something lol because we don't see that here in Miami. I also noticed how in Denver people leave their belongings around and noone touches it and also the crime rate we saw in the news was so low compare to Miami. I'm glad you are happy were you are at, thank you for your feedback, it makes me realize that I can adapt as well - oh yeah and away from this humidity! Have a great new year!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:46 PM

8 posts, read 27,579 times
Default Just Moved Florida to Denver

i was livin 45min east from orlando. i was so tired of florida. the only thing i miss is the beach, i love the water. it's way nicer here, more stuff to do and yet it cost about the same to live and you make more so i'm stoked. i love music, is the music diverse here? i'm guessing more people listen to reggae who live near the ocean.. there seems to me alot of "hardcore" and i'm told its the "juggalo capital".. are there many down to earth, hippy people here that like chill postive music? and not just a bunch of scene kids.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:50 PM

132 posts, read 287,306 times
Default What?

What are you talking about? What is this odd language you speak?

Get some help.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:07 PM

8 posts, read 27,579 times
thanks man, your awesome

Old 01-15-2009, 09:24 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,430,464 times
Look into the Mercury Cafe, Herb's and Meade Street. Also, Herman's and SOBO. - www.westword.com and http://denver.metromix.com/

Old 01-15-2009, 10:49 PM

113 posts, read 358,874 times
"The Beach" at A-Basin is 10 times better than that shark-infested Florida coastline.

The music scene in Denver -- and Colorado in general -- is highly underrated, IMO. It seems like all the big and little names pass through town at the Fillmore, Ogden, Pepsi Center, Mile High or Red Rocks, etc., but what type of music do you like? This area of the country has bloomed everything from the Flobots to Yonder Mountain String Band. Just keep an open mind and you'll find your niche.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:57 PM

351 posts, read 522,982 times
Definitely lots of "scene" kids in Denver. Although they're not an emo or scene group, The Fray pretty much launched Denver as a viable musical hot spot. Meese has gone with a national label, too.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,727 times
it's too much of a hassle to get to the water when you live in Orlando. You won't miss the water at all in Denver. You may miss
the humidity, sometimes i the arid climate makes me crave more
moisture in the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or