U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 01:15 PM

394 posts, read 1,339,393 times

Advertisements

I just moved up here from Key West back in September of last year. Come prepared, as I can tell you are trying to do. Myself, I was just laid off and am relocating to Southern California with the second job I'm with, as I miss the weather. Lots of good relocation posts, feel free to read any of mine, I've given great fair perspectives on Denver and in my honest experiences and opinions...

Good Luck to you... the job market is bad everywhere, but a good attitude will triumph anywhere as well...I sometimes miss Key West, but this will be a nice balance for me, mountains and the ocean within reach...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 06:53 PM

6 posts, read 14,153 times
Thanks for your reply...I know the job market is bad everywhere but here we have 12.2% unemployment and no sign of things getting better anytime soon. I am thinking I will have better opportunities in a larger city. I picked Denver because I loved living there as a teen in the late 80s but I am sure a lot has changed since then.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:16 PM

5 posts, read 15,526 times
Default move slowly!

I am actually lining up interviews in FL because the market is so bad here! I recommend having a job before moving here. I know a LOT of people who are laid off & and a LOT of people who have lost their homes here in CO.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:46 PM

4 posts, read 7,478 times
Default Moving to Colorado from Florida

Hi everyone,
I have never typed in a forum before so I hope I am doing this correctly.
I'm originally from the UK but have been living in Florida for the past 8 years, we moved here because we had family here and wanted a better life. Now its time for a change, hate the humidity and the fact that everywhere we go everythings in Spanish! (I don't mean to offend I just want to live in America not Spain)
My family have visted Colorado and have said it's a beautiful place, I plan on having a look myself but really would like to live there not just a vacation.
I have 2 small children so would like to live in a safe area, where there is a decent school and close to grocery shops. Any ideas on which area is suitable for me????
Thanks for reading this, any advice would be brilliant.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:02 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_001 View Post
Hi everyone,
I have 2 small children so would like to live in a safe area, where there is a decent school and close to grocery shops. Any ideas on which area is suitable for me????
That's kind of a wide open question, but you should know this: Colorado has, and always has had, a strong Hispanic presence. Hell's bells, about 2/3's of the land area of the state was part of Mexico until 1848. 18 out of 64 counties in Colorado have Spanish names--that should tell you something. Our neighboring state to the south, New Mexico, has one of the largest percentages of residents of Hispanic descent in the United States--many of them can trace their heritage back to pre-United States in the region. That is also true of a number of the Colorado counties down along the Colorado/New Mexico border. Colorado has also seen a huge influx of Latino immigrants--legal or otherwise--in the last 10-20 years. You will hear plenty of Spanish spoken in today's Colorado. Fact of life.

An interesting factoid: northern New Mexico was isolated from Spain and Mexico for so long that the residents there still speak essentially a 17th century dialect of Castilian Spanish. Linguists from Spain actually come to northern New Mexico and southern Colorado to study the Spanish dialects there for that reason. "My status" quotation above is a northern New Mexico Spanish saying.

And, oh yeah, in case you hadn't noticed, "Colorado" is a Spanish word.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:10 PM

2,382 posts, read 6,075,640 times
What she is talking about is Mexican and Cuban which dominate South Florida.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:17 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,651,785 times
My advice is to affix a flour tortilla to the radio antenna of your car and start driving north. When somebody asks "what's that funny-lookin' thing on your antenna, eh?" stop and move in. If you start in Colorado it'll happen somewhere around Regina, Saskatchewan.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:31 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
Might have to go even farther north than Regina. Back in the early 70's I had a girlfriend from Yorkton, Saskatchewan. One of her specialties was cooking Mexican food, even though she spoke not a word of Spanish.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 06-01-2009 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: typo!

Old 06-01-2009, 10:02 AM

20,307 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_001 View Post
Hi everyone,
I have never typed in a forum before so I hope I am doing this correctly.
I'm originally from the UK but have been living in Florida for the past 8 years, we moved here because we had family here and wanted a better life. Now its time for a change, hate the humidity and the fact that everywhere we go everythings in Spanish! (I don't mean to offend I just want to live in America not Spain)
My family have visted Colorado and have said it's a beautiful place, I plan on having a look myself but really would like to live there not just a vacation.
Most of Colorado fits the few requirements you've listed. All the major cities along the Front Range have very good schools and relative safety compared to most other cities/states.

Give us more specifics about jobs and price ranges and we can start steering you to the info you need.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:15 AM

291 posts, read 787,468 times
Sorry, no one has given you much help in answering your questions. Sure, Colorado has a strong Spanish heritage, but it's nothing like south Florida. You really didn't specify where in Colorado you wanted to live. Colorado is divided into three main areas; the eastern plains, the front range, and the western slope. The major population centers are on the front range, and that consist of the land from the mountains out east for about 40 miles. This is a subjective distance and is not defined, but it's my definition. Everything east of that is the eastern plains. The western slope is eveything west of the continental divide.
So, are you looking for a major city along the front range, like Denver, Boulder, Fort Collings, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, or Greeley? Most cities aren't pedestrian orientated, however, just about everything is available by a short car ride. There are t0o many good schools and neighborhoods to mention, especially since your question is has been so open ended.
If you narrow down what you're looking for, I think people here can give you more specifics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or