U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 11:28 AM

4 posts, read 7,480 times

Advertisements

I have never been to Colorado but plan on going. I don't want to live in a major city (don't want hustle & bustle) but do want to be within a decent travelling range to schools and grocery shops so probably on the outskirts of a city - the pictures of Colorado are so scenic, it would be nice to take in the view from where I would be living. I would like some suggestions of safe areas to check out. Would like a new (brand new if possible) home with at least 3 bed, perhaps a cul-de-sac or land, enough for a decent size garden. Don't really want to spend more than $600,000. Not looking for work, I'm planning on working from home. Also has to be a place where cost of living isn't too high, I heard Superior was nice but pricey, is this true?
Any decent hospitals around?
What other questions do I need to answer?
Thank you for being patient with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 02:47 PM

24 posts, read 64,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_001 View Post
Hi everyone,
I have never typed in a forum before so I hope I am doing this correctly.
I'm originally from the UK but have been living in Florida for the past 8 years, we moved here because we had family here and wanted a better life. Now its time for a change, hate the humidity and the fact that everywhere we go everythings in Spanish! (I don't mean to offend I just want to live in America not Spain)
My family have visted Colorado and have said it's a beautiful place, I plan on having a look myself but really would like to live there not just a vacation.
I have 2 small children so would like to live in a safe area, where there is a decent school and close to grocery shops. Any ideas on which area is suitable for me????
Thanks for reading this, any advice would be brilliant.
Look at Colorado Springs. Good year round climate, near outdoor recreation, and close to the major metro. area of Denver. Low humidity and few bugs.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:42 PM

535 posts, read 1,363,708 times
why do so many people 'run away' from Spanish influence? Some of Colorado's oldest and most enduring residents have hispanic roots, been through the good and the bad without selling out.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:55 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,495,378 times
Quote:
I have never been to Colorado but plan on going. I don't want to live in a major city (don't want hustle & bustle) but do want to be within a decent travelling range to schools and grocery shops so probably on the outskirts of a city - the pictures of Colorado are so scenic, it would be nice to take in the view from where I would be living. I would like some suggestions of safe areas to check out. Would like a new (brand new if possible) home with at least 3 bed, perhaps a cul-de-sac or land, enough for a decent size garden. Don't really want to spend more than $600,000. Not looking for work, I'm planning on working from home. Also has to be a place where cost of living isn't too high, I heard Superior was nice but pricey, is this true?
Any decent hospitals around?
What other questions do I need to answer?
Thank you for being patient with me.
We moved from Tampa to Denver a few years ago and there have been numerous posts on the Denver threads about Floridians (both coming and going). Perhaps you can check that out.

Not sure why you would move to Colorado. I like the state very much but we moved here for a job. The mountains are gorgeous but most of the state is pretty flat (it's technically in a part of the US called the "Great Plains") and the photos are manipulated.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:37 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,455,342 times
the3Ds wrote:
but most of the state is pretty flat
Yeah, but the part that ain't flat is very impressive!

Old 06-03-2009, 02:51 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,905,194 times
You're making a good choice, colorado is an excellent state. You would do well to consider the city of "Colorado Springs"

Quote:
Hi everyone,
I have never typed in a forum before so I hope I am doing this correctly.
I'm originally from the UK but have been living in Florida for the past 8 years, we moved here because we had family here and wanted a better life. Now its time for a change, hate the humidity and the fact that everywhere we go everythings in Spanish! (I don't mean to offend I just want to live in America not Spain)
My family have visted Colorado and have said it's a beautiful place, I plan on having a look myself but really would like to live there not just a vacation.
I have 2 small children so would like to live in a safe area, where there is a decent school and close to grocery shops. Any ideas on which area is suitable for me????
Thanks for reading this, any advice would be brilliant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
(it's technically in a part of the US called the "Great Plains") and the photos are manipulated.
The Great Plains actually ends at the Front Range (the I-25 corridor.) West of that are the Rocky mountains.

I had never heard someone say Colorado photos are "manipulated." If anything, the photos don't do justice to the actual experience of being in the mountains.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-03-2009 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 06-04-2009, 07:49 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,652,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticky909 View Post
why do so many people 'run away' from Spanish influence? Some of Colorado's oldest and most enduring residents have hispanic roots, been through the good and the bad without selling out.
Hispanic influence isn't the problem. Hispanix influx is the problem.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,953 times
Default Moving from Florida to Colorado

Hello, I am moving within the next few months to CO. I have two small boys that are nature fanatics, beaches here in FL offer very little for hiking, camping and nature exploration. Summer heat keeps most of us hiding indoors from heat and humidity - to much to bear. I have never relocated to another state and never with children. Anyone that has made this jump I would appreciate any advice.
Would love to find entry level part time jobs working in nature. Any suggestions on the best place to start for looking for employment?

Old 06-05-2009, 04:15 PM

535 posts, read 1,363,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Ain't gonna get away from it coming here. The way she said it was strange. I want to live in America, not spain. Mexico is part of North America. This country is the United States of America. What her point then reduces to is "I want to live in 'white' America". It just sounds like a roundabout way of saying something else. (doesn't want to offend, but she doesn't want to live in an area with alot of hispanic people). Same as saying "No offence, but (offensive comment)" Or, "I don't want to rain on your parade, but (Rain's on parade)".

Old 06-05-2009, 09:03 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,023,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Yep. I've lived several times in apartment complexes filled with illegal mexicans in eagle county and I'm never doing that again. The cops are in there every 30 minutes, constant drunken fights, people getting thrown through windows, drunken car crashes in the parking lot, theft, drugs you name it. Can't even put a number on how many times I had to call 911. Everywhere else I lived in Colorado without illegals around it was serene.

Definitely some hispanic influence is a part of Colorado culture. Historically hispanics had minimal influence on the state in most areas however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or