U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2009, 12:54 PM

719 posts, read 2,311,744 times

Advertisements

Ha ha...try saying that last sentence out loud in La Junta, Lamar, San Luis, Alamosa, Del Norte, Mesita, La Jara, Monte Vista, Pueblo, or Trinidad. Remember, 2/3 of CO was once Mexican and/or Spanish Land Grant territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 12:30 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,065,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
Ha ha...try saying that last sentence out loud in La Junta, Lamar, San Luis, Alamosa, Del Norte, Mesita, La Jara, Monte Vista, Pueblo, or Trinidad. Remember, 2/3 of CO was once Mexican and/or Spanish Land Grant territory.
Yeah but I could count on my hand the number of spanish/mexican people that lived there during the time they "owned" the land before the USA took it over.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:44 PM

535 posts, read 1,366,309 times
Ha, how you describe you illegal immigrant apartment is how my non-illegal neighborhood is. There's usually an average of 2 arrests per week in maybe 200 sq ft.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:59 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,936,613 times
That would seem to be the modus operandi for any low income neighborhood, regardless of race or location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Yep. I've lived several times in apartment complexes filled with illegal mexicans in eagle county and I'm never doing that again. The cops are in there every 30 minutes, constant drunken fights, people getting thrown through windows, drunken car crashes in the parking lot, theft, drugs you name it. Can't even put a number on how many times I had to call 911. Everywhere else I lived in Colorado without illegals around it was serene.

Definitely some hispanic influence is a part of Colorado culture. Historically hispanics had minimal influence on the state in most areas however.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:31 PM

719 posts, read 2,311,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Yeah but I could count on my hand the number of spanish/mexican people that lived there during the time they "owned" the land before the USA took it over.
"Ownership" became an ugly word when the U.S. took that land over for those folks.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:13 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,504,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I had never heard someone say Colorado photos are "manipulated." If anything, the photos don't do justice to the actual experience of being in the mountains.
You're right. There ARE lots of parts of Colorado that are positively gorgeous. I SHOULD have said the photos of Denver are manipulated. The Chamber of Commerce makes it look like it sits in the mountains which it does not.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:23 PM

3 posts, read 6,631 times
Try the western slope. Montrose, Cedaredge, Hotchkiss, or Gunnison. Land prices can vary. Schools are smaller but good. They grow peaches and other fruit around Hotchkiss, Paonia, and Cedaredge so climate is great. Not nearly so many people and problems.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:37 PM

10 posts, read 22,399 times
Default moving to denver

i plan to move to denver as soon as i can sell my place in florida. i am a new yorker who "ended up here." i have always loved colorado and the west.
which areas or suburbs are best and most affordable? i am single and a teacher. i would prefer a small house as opposed to a condo or townhome.

Last edited by lsf122; 06-20-2009 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 06-20-2009, 08:43 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,093,257 times
"Best" and "most affordable" are often opposite ends. "Best" is in the eye of the beholder too. Do you prefer being on the edge of town where you need your car to get everywhere or would you prefer to be closer in and be able to walk at least some places? Older house or under 10 years old?

Where will you be working? That'll determine your choices of living locations as you don't want to be too far from work, especially in winter. Do you plan on buying or renting that small house and what is your budget?

Old 06-20-2009, 09:13 PM

20,360 posts, read 37,902,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsf122 View Post
i plan to move to denver as soon as i can sell my place in florida. i am a new yorker who "ended up here." i have always loved colorado and the west.
which areas or suburbs are best and most affordable? i am single and a teacher. i would prefer a small house as opposed to a condo or townhome.
Look in the index under Photo Tours, you'll see lots of small homes, with real character, close-in, safe too, lots of neat areas.

Also in the index look for Neighborhoods, RTD and Car Free Living.

Best advice is to get yourself near one of the RTD lines, in a close in neighborhood.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or