U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 09:59 PM

20 posts, read 38,111 times

Advertisements

Go onto a few rental websites and look around. Rentalhomes.com and rentals.com have been resourceful for myself. It provides a map of the area and pin points the areas in which the home is located. It's helped me familiarize myself with distance to/from the Denver Airport from certain areas we are entertaining. We too are moving from FL...West Palm Beach. Also, go onto as many forums as possible here and just read. The people on here have been more than helpful and friendly! Polar opposite from this area... and refreshing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 10:35 PM

654 posts, read 1,757,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, yeah, there are places I wouldn't want to live, but "family-friendly with good schools" is hardly specific. I said there are good and bad schools all over, more good than bad. I don't like naming specific schools. The minute one does that, its defenders pop out of the woodwork. People have bad experiences in "good" schools as well as the supposedly bad ones.

I think the best place for the OP to start looking is right in Thornton. There are lots of different housing types there, of all ages. Some parts are more "open" than others.
I'm not going to name specific schools either, otherwise I already would have. I think a lot of the success at school comes from success at home so the idea of good school/bad school can be overstated. Some districts just aren't as well-funded or regarded as others, and that's as specific as I'll get. I just don't want to give the impression that everywhere is a nice area, even compared to Florida. There are definitely areas to avoid - Adams County having perhaps more than their fair share.

Thornton certainly does have good options in all kinds of ranges and my advice to the OP is to check out Thornton first to see if they have what they are looking for and then to continue outward. Adams County has plenty of areas meeting the criteria, perhaps more than most parts of the metro area.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:34 AM

1,428 posts, read 3,876,368 times
Try this map for schools: Colorado School Performance Maps

Take it for what it's worth, it compiles school test scores, which reflects socioeconomic trends in that school's area.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:26 PM

7 posts, read 21,908 times
Thank you all for your thoughts! I will do some more research, especially on this board. You guys are great!

Old 07-11-2009, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,978 times
We moved from Colorado to Florida and are looking to move back. Colorado is beautiful if you stay near the foothills; Golden, Lakewood, and Littleton. Colorado springs and Boulder are also fantastic. It's been 7 years since we left so I know some things change but you can't beat living near the mountains.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:22 AM

7,755 posts, read 16,459,702 times
This may sound a bit like a broken record, but here it is anyway. If you are considering a cross country move in these trying financial times...bring lots of money with you, enough to cover all of your expenses for the next 12 to 24 months. Having this basic level of financial preparedness will make your move far less stressful and greatly improve your chances of making the move successfully. Best wishes for a happy and successful move.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:16 AM

20 posts, read 38,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbromo View Post
Hello, I am moving within the next few months to CO. I have two small boys that are nature fanatics, beaches here in FL offer very little for hiking, camping and nature exploration. Summer heat keeps most of us hiding indoors from heat and humidity - to much to bear. I have never relocated to another state and never with children. Anyone that has made this jump I would appreciate any advice.
Would love to find entry level part time jobs working in nature. Any suggestions on the best place to start for looking for employment?

We too are moving from FL to CO with three boys under the age of 6. I completely understand about the heat & humidity... especially now! We are from OH and the summer's in FL are like the winters in OH... stay inside and find inside things to do.

I agree... if you don't have a job, bring lots of $$ with you. When we moved from OH to FL two years ago, it was stressful. Even with a job and peers from my husband's company helping us out (i.e. - suggesting places to live, things to do for the kids, eat, etc.) Remember, if you rent, some places require an application fee, deposit, first month's rent, and sometimes last months rent. You'll have to have deposit $ for utilities (if you've never had service before in the area). Groceries, day care (if applicable and once you find a job) are going to take a lot up front too. Gas $$ will be costly up front as you'll be anxious to drive around and get to know the area.

Start looking at this website and get as many suggestions as you can on areas to live, jobs out there, things to do, etc. The people on here are very friendly and have helped me out tremendously!

Take a look at the employment adds and start getting your resume out there. Not sure how it is in CO, but it's usually easier to get a PT job verses FT as the company isn't required to offer benefits, etc.

Please have an apt or home to rent lined up first. Have you been out to visit the area yet? Do you have an idea of where you want to live? If not, start making some calls to realtors or property managers to help you out with this portion. They can be of great help! We talked with our realtor in OH and she recommended a realtor in FL. After a few phone conversations, we flew out and meet with her a few times, looked around at areas, and decided to rent a furnished home for 3 months before we bought our home. When our belongings came, we stored them in the same house until we moved again. I would suggest getting a storage unit if you rent a furnished apt... space was very tight and it was a long 3 months!

Oh, are your children in school yet? If so, look at school districts and start focusing your living arrangements around the school district of your choice.

Once you find a place to settle and depending on what your position is financially, I highly recommend having a moving company take your things out, including the car, and fly out. Especially having two small children. Pack enough clothes, coloring books, toys, DVD's, etc. to live off of for a few days until your belongings come. Depending on the company, it usually takes 3-7 days after they leave the prior residence. Oh, and make sure you get several quotes from several reputable companies. Don't go with the first one and negotiate price. Some also offer to pack and un-pack. Which is a big help, especially when you have little ones. We didn't choose this option and looking back, I wish we would have. It took us several weeks to unpack as focusing our attention to the children came first. It was kind of comical... unpack a DVD... get a juice box.... unpack a dish...make lunch... etc. The house was in shambles!

Good luck to you and if you need recommendations of moving companies, send me a private message and I'll dig up my old records.

Tammie

Old 07-11-2009, 09:34 AM

530 posts, read 2,371,652 times
We moved from New Orleans to Louisville (near Boulder) 3 yrs ago. I wish we would have done it sooner. We love it here. I would highly recommend having some sort of job lined up before the move. What part of Colorado are you looking at moving to? We used North American for our move and they were very nice. We did the drive in 3 days with some stops along the way. We also had the movers move one of our cars, not too expensive and better than driving it! If you are thinking of moving to the Denver or Boulder area, you should post on those forums too.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:31 PM

92 posts, read 225,310 times
We want to do this in the next two years ourselves. Just got back to the swamp after a couple of weeks seeing friends and sights in CO. It's been way too hot, rainy and humid this summer here in Tampa Bay.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:54 AM

7,755 posts, read 16,459,702 times
I spent some time in Tampa as a student at the University of Tampa in the late 60s. Couldn't wait to get out of that place. I've never been back to Florida since then, nor have I ever had a desire to go there. What a miserable place to live...for me anyway. No offesne to those who love Florida. It just ain't my cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or