U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 06:12 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,683,027 times

Advertisements

Advise?

Unless you have 6-12+ months of living expenses saved, stay in FL. And his is coming from a guy who DETESTS Florida.

Seriously, the job market in CO, and all of the country for that matter, is dismal at best. Not knowing what your SO "sells", as you can see, there has been a MASSIVE contraction of both consumer and corporate purchases, as people hoard cash for the even harder times ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 09:07 AM

21 posts, read 46,351 times
If you're looking for a shorter temp. housing closer to downtown you might check into extended stay hotels. You'd have to put your stuff in storage but if you're only staying there a month that may be cheaper. The BRE apts you have to set up tv and internet, which will transfer. Candelwood suites had a 1 bed suite for $1000 a month including internet & TV. There are a few extended stay places around but you have to ask for a deal for staying 30 days. There is one off Belleview that is right near the light rail. I didn't look closer to Denver than that as the urban lifestyle does not appeal to our family. Good luck with your move!

Old 07-22-2009, 01:06 PM

9 posts, read 16,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Advise?

Unless you have 6-12+ months of living expenses saved, stay in FL. And his is coming from a guy who DETESTS Florida.

Seriously, the job market in CO, and all of the country for that matter, is dismal at best. Not knowing what your SO "sells", as you can see, there has been a MASSIVE contraction of both consumer and corporate purchases, as people hoard cash for the even harder times ahead.
We have enough for about 3-6 months of living expenses without jobs... I do NOT want to stay here due to the fact our economy is based solely on tourism! I CAnnOT only make money 5 months out of the year. I could always go home to ATL or Tampa.. but we've been there before and We are looking for something new and exciting. I was under the impression that although the entire country is suffering, Denver was towards to top of the "doing okay" list.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Englewood or Littleton might work, too. I agree about Lakewood.
But if Highlands Ranch sounds best, go for it. But make sure about being in lightrail vicinity, it can be especially handy when the snow falls.
I left the northwest Florida area about two years ago. They did not call that highway Bloody 98 for nothing.
Bloody 98 is right. I miss being able to jump on the interstate.. traffic or not. When we must rely on ONE road to bring us wherever we'd like to go...... It's time to expand. I think that highlands ranch is too expensive for what we are looking for. lightrail is a must have!

Old 07-22-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty289 View Post
No jobs in Florida! His industry is doing fine here so we came back. Also, the cost of living seemed the same in Florida as here but the standard pay was lower there. Housing to buy was less in FL but they were half the size.The only plus was being close to family, air force jets going overhead & of course the beach. But you gotta eat so we made the move back. BTW, we used Penske going and budget coming back. Uhaul was more $$$, the budget broke down in the middle of nowhere. Penske was by far much better. Plan on drinking lots of water when you arrive. My inlaws from FWB didn't and ended up with headaches.

Destin is definitely towards to the very top of cost of living anywhere... so that will not be abnormal for us. Being close to family is very nice... but we can save that for when we are ready to settle down and start a family. The beach will be accessible to us when we vacation here to visit the family. so all in all this is still looking favorable for us with all the advice! Thanks for the tip on drinking lots of water.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:19 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,499,091 times
I sent you a DM but since others may be your same situation, I will just repeat some of what I told you.

You should make an effort to stay as close as possible to light rail. The light rail system is very quick and convenient. As a young couple without kids, I can only tell you what those I know personally (who are also young and childless) are doing. Most of the teachers at my daughter's elementary school live in or near the Park Meadows Mall. Some are in Greenwood Village (same basic area). They all live alone (or with boyfriends) and feel very safe in that area. We drive to Park Meadows Mall to take the light rail to downtown for Rockies games and so I can only speak for that particular area. The train station is very nice and clean (and most importantly, SHELTERED from the weather). It is a pretty quick trip to LoDo.

The only reason I was thinking of the Park Meadows Mall area is that, while I know you are looking to get OUT of the restaurant biz, there are lots of places in that area to eat. Many are standard chains but there are quite a few which would be considered "very nice." I was there last week and saw quite a few "help wanted" signs. That area is also near Highlands Ranch which brings with it a slightly higher class of living and people who still have disposable income (meaning many of the businesses around it will likely stay open, even during this recession).

Old 07-23-2009, 08:23 PM

15 posts, read 40,743 times
Well, generally speaking, the cost of living here in Colorado is higher than Florida. Once you get here, you may want to consider some winter weather driving lessons, as snow and ice car crashes here are common. A lot of people who moved here from CA seem to have found this out the hard way. Also, invest on some good winter clothing, specifically snow boots and a coat. You'll have to get all the emergency gear for your car as well as snow shovel, and scaper/brush for the windshield. Also, tornado warnings are not uncommon here in the late spring, as well as hail.

I'd add Wheat Ridge and Arvada to the list of quieter areas.

As far as hotel/motel accomodations, stay off Colfax, unless you enjoy pimping/drugs/one night stands.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:26 PM

15 posts, read 40,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken5446 View Post
Bloody 98 is right. I miss being able to jump on the interstate.. traffic or not. When we must rely on ONE road to bring us wherever we'd like to go...... It's time to expand. I think that highlands ranch is too expensive for what we are looking for. lightrail is a must have!
Plenty of more affordable accomodations in Littleton even within a mile or so of the Littleton light rail station. Its an area where you don't have to worry about being jumped or dragged into a bush. Houses in that area also sell for under $200k.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:31 PM

13 posts, read 26,631 times
We moved from FL 2 1/2 years ago and can't wait to go back. We are living in Highlands Ranch - very nice area. Transportation is good and facilities excellent. Just VERY different from FL. People are in their own world. We have tried to meet our neighboors and we live like indians "Hi" that's all.
Good luck w/your plans!

Old 07-24-2009, 06:19 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,499,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalasmom View Post
We have tried to meet our neighboors and we live like indians "Hi" that's all.
Very funny...haven't heard that one before.

I think every neighborhood is different. We lived in Florida and were surprised how friendly the neighbors were. Coming from the "leave me alone" west, it was kind of unnerving. We met many neighbors but found that unless we wanted to sit on folding chairs drinking beer in the driveway, we wouldn't have a "social life." People were nice but a little too "redneck" for us.

Our current neighborhood just had a block party 2 Saturdays ago and the turnout was amazing. We had only planned to stay an hour or so but ended up being there from 2 to 8 pm and the party was still going! Now when I take my daughter to school, I end up talking to literally dozens of parents just because of that one block party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or