U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 08:25 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,901,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova9 View Post

People: I was very un-impressed with the general attitudes of people here, not very social at all. People here are not outright rude, just not warm and fuzzy and not very inviting at all. Also, many people I knew here have already moved other places.
Nova9,

I'd be curious to know what places in the United States you consider the people are warm, friendly and inviting. I mean this as a serious question (not to start an argument or anything) - I really would like to know.

80skeys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 11:49 AM

401 posts, read 763,214 times
The weather looks great there now!!
Gotta hit the PowerBall!!

Old 11-18-2009, 01:44 PM

261 posts, read 605,751 times
Quote:
70's one day, 30's the next...pretty typically crazy! I also used to live in Florida (Orlando). I moved here 6 years ago (company relo so I do not really know about the job search).
What to expect:
Climate: I was NOT prepared for how HOT it gets here! Summers can get into the high 90's for long stretches. Yes, there is little humidity, but when you are in direct sun you can feel the BURN very badly!
Also, it seems to be a good climate for young, healthy people, but not so much for people who are overweight or have any sort of breathing problems due to the fact that the thin air makes your body work harder.

People: I was very un-impressed with the general attitudes of people here, not very social at all. People here are not outright rude, just not warm and fuzzy and not very inviting at all. Also, many people I knew here have already moved other places.
I agree with you on the heat. Florida heat is like a steam bath during the summers, while Colorado can be more like a blowtorch at times. It seems like the altitude makes it worse. It looks like this past summer wasn't bad, but I remember doing lawn service for my father-in-law's business during the height of the drought a few years ago. 10-12 hour days in upper 90's - 100+ heat for weeks on end was pure hell. The newer homes have A/C, but for the most part nothing is air conditioned. I'm not trying to bash Colorado, but the extremes are something to think about if you are looking at moving there.

I think the people are about as friendly in S. Fla as they are in Colorado - once they get out of their cars.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:33 AM

794 posts, read 1,576,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
If you're from Dade, Broward or Palm Beach county Boulder won't seem that expensive. I'm from Miami and I don't think Boulder is that expensive, certainly not as expensive as Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Boca, West Palm, etc.

What part of Florida are you from and what kind of lifestyle are you looking for?
Good to know...I live in Miami, may be moving to CO next year and was getting a little nervous...after living here most of my life, everywhere else (except the obvious NY/SF areas and others) is cheaper by comparison.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:44 AM

794 posts, read 1,576,132 times
It's funny how everyone wants a 30 minute commute...for me, 45 minutes is a short commute.! Denver is looking better and better every day!

Old 11-23-2009, 12:24 PM

The weather and climate sound great there.
I cannot wait for our time to get to move there.

People are different wherever you go. They are just people.
Go to places that interest you and I'll (hopefully) bet you will find others that are overall nice.
Life for most is always go go go. Not like it used to be, that's for sure.

Quote:
70's one day, 30's the next...pretty typically crazy! I also used to live in Florida (Orlando). I moved here 6 years ago (company relo so I do not really know about the job search).
What to expect:
Climate: I was NOT prepared for how HOT it gets here! Summers can get into the high 90's for long stretches. Yes, there is little humidity, but when you are in direct sun you can feel the BURN very badly!
Also, it seems to be a good climate for young, healthy people, but not so much for people who are overweight or have any sort of breathing problems due to the fact that the thin air makes your body work harder.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,168 times
I am a disabled Veteran who also lives in Florida and I hate it here. I live here only because my parents live here and my mother makes it abundantly clear that she needs me here.

I fell in love with Colorado several years ago and due to recent circumstances, I am more than ever motivated to move. I would finally like to be happy and follow my dreams for a change and not always have to take care of everybody else's.

My question is, since I am exempt from property taxes here in Florida as well as several other things, is it difficult to get my Social Security changed for example. I have to also locate the nearest VA medical facility. I am only in my 40's and would like to finally have a life of my own. So many questions, I just dont know where to start...

Old 12-15-2009, 07:44 AM

Not really sure, but maybe one of the locals could better answer these questions for you.

Good luck with your decision to move to the Denver area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettina313 View Post
I am a disabled Veteran who also lives in Florida and I hate it here. I live here only because my parents live here and my mother makes it abundantly clear that she needs me here.

I fell in love with Colorado several years ago and due to recent circumstances, I am more than ever motivated to move. I would finally like to be happy and follow my dreams for a change and not always have to take care of everybody else's.

My question is, since I am exempt from property taxes here in Florida as well as several other things, is it difficult to get my Social Security changed for example. I have to also locate the nearest VA medical facility. I am only in my 40's and would like to finally have a life of my own. So many questions, I just dont know where to start...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or