U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2007, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
84,966 posts, read 98,814,535 times
Reputation: 31376

Advertisements

I live in Louisville. Yes, the commute would be more than 30 min most days. However, one of the advantages of going downtown is good bus service. There is a Park N Ride at the Louisville-Superior exit of US 36, the main route to Denver. There are a lot of cookie-cutter subdivisions in Louisville, though the older ones are starting to pick up some character. The downtown is old, leafy, etc, but the houses are small in general. Louisville is an old coal mining town; most houses in old Louis. are miner's cottages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2007, 01:33 PM
 
8 posts, read 17,446 times
Reputation: 10
I've heard about the express bus from Boulder to Denver (with a stop in Superior/Louisville), which is an appealing option to me because I'm a fan of mass transit and would be working in downtown Denver and could walk to the office. Pittnurse70, Do you have a sense of, how long on an average day, the express bus takes from Louisville Denver? Thanks again for all responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2007, 01:50 PM
 
Location: on an island
13,374 posts, read 40,158,807 times
Reputation: 13176
Coming from Miami, I wonder if charm translates into something different in Colorado? Are you looking for a stately stucco? I don't mean this in an insulting or confrontational way: we moved from Colorado to Florida, so I can kind of see where you are coming from (no pun intended). They like those arched doorways here, I know.
Tfox and Pittnurse offer excellent advice.
The tree-lined Craftsman neighborhoods in Wash Park and Highlands, in Colorado, are considered quite historic and full of character.
For $450k, as Tfox says, you might find a 2-story fixer-upper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2007, 02:27 PM
 
8 posts, read 17,446 times
Reputation: 10
Good point, and thanks for your input. We are coming to Denver from Miami, albeit a temporary stop in Miami. Our frame of reference, with regard to neighborhoods, is more Manhattan (Upper West Side/Morningside Heights/Hell's Kitchen) and Brooklyn (Park Slope/Prospect Heights), where we lived for years, and Chicago (Hyde Park) and Minneapolis (South Minneapolis). Those neighborhoods are all different, and have different things to offer, but that's what we're familiar with. Tfox mentioned Englewood, Littleton, Golden, Arvada; how about Lakewood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2007, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Denver
273 posts, read 1,341,800 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrov View Post
Good point, and thanks for your input. We are coming to Denver from Miami, albeit a temporary stop in Miami. Our frame of reference, with regard to neighborhoods, is more Manhattan (Upper West Side/Morningside Heights/Hell's Kitchen) and Brooklyn (Park Slope/Prospect Heights), where we lived for years, and Chicago (Hyde Park) and Minneapolis (South Minneapolis). Those neighborhoods are all different, and have different things to offer, but that's what we're familiar with. Tfox mentioned Englewood, Littleton, Golden, Arvada; how about Lakewood?
gtrov -- We are moving to Denver from Miami also, and my wife and I also have lived in Manhattan and Brooklyn (Windsor Terrace). We really like Platt Park and are concentrating our search there, but our budget is more around 300 - 350K so you have more choices in terms of neighborhoods. There are a lot of Bungalows in Platt Park also, so if you don't like that style Platt Park may not be for you.

Anyway I posted some pictures here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...uth-pearl.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2007, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
84,966 posts, read 98,814,535 times
Reputation: 31376
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrov View Post
I've heard about the express bus from Boulder to Denver (with a stop in Superior/Louisville), which is an appealing option to me because I'm a fan of mass transit and would be working in downtown Denver and could walk to the office. Pittnurse70, Do you have a sense of, how long on an average day, the express bus takes from Louisville Denver? Thanks again for all responses.
No, I do not know the answer to that. My guess would be 35-45 min, b/c the bus follows the same route as the cars, and that's what it would take to drive.

BTW, thanks, cil, for the kind words.

PS: Lakewood is pretty suburban. You can search this forum and get some good info.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 07-15-2007 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2007, 04:11 PM
 
8 posts, read 17,446 times
Reputation: 10
MobyLL -- thanks so much for your comments and Platt Park photos; we also tracked down your Highlands photos. This was a huge help to us. Good luck with your move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2007, 04:14 PM
 
8 posts, read 17,446 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
No, I do not know the answer to that. My guess would be 35-45 min, b/c the bus follows the same route as the cars, and that's what it would take to drive.

BTW, thanks, cil, for the kind words.

PS: Lakewood is pretty suburban. You can search this forum and get some good info.
Pittnurse, thanks for all the info; will search for Lakewood on the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2007, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Mesa
3,767 posts, read 8,239,912 times
Reputation: 2932
MobyLL, those pictures are gorgeous! Thanks for posting them. Reminds me of the M Streets in Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2007, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
84,966 posts, read 98,814,535 times
Reputation: 31376
MobyLL: great pix. DD # 1 lives near there. Didn't see her car in the pix though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top