U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2007, 10:50 AM

119 posts, read 400,623 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I posted in the CO Springs forum and have been looking hard at that area, but based on some of the things I've seen on the forum, I'm concerned that it might not be right for me.

I currently live in Richmond, VA and am looking for a change of pace (I am SO sick of HOT, HOT and humid summers where you drink rather than breathe the air). I'm 35, single, and in commercial lending.

I don't really want to live in the Denver area--I'm looking for a slower pace of life and wide open spaces.

BUT, I need to be able to support myself.

CO Springs seemed good, but I'm worried that so many folks say it isn't the best place for singles. Especially non-religious ones.

I"m not at all into the bar scene--more into outdoor stuff.

Where in CO might be the best spot for me?

Any advice or thoughts appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 11:19 AM

10,683 posts, read 28,516,426 times
I think commercial lending can be done from anywhere, if you have enough contacts.

Real Estate is about networking. The more people who know and love you, the more people who will do business with you.

Have you read any of Jeffrey Gitomer's books?

Old 01-10-2007, 11:35 AM

431 posts, read 2,501,956 times
http://www.usnpl.com/conews.html -- this is a list of all Colorado papers. If I wanted to learn about a place I would read the papers. That is if the place is large enough to have one listed. Real estate, wanted ads, social events etc can tell you loads. Try it. It just might help. As to outdoors, what kind? Fishing, hunting, mt.hiking, skiing or swimming, tennis, walking in a park, etc. In other words, country type or city type?

Old 01-10-2007, 12:59 PM

119 posts, read 400,623 times
I'm not in the origination side of it--I'm a credit analyst or underwriter.

I like to ski, hiking, boating, horseback riding, etc.

I'm not a big city girl--I do love opera and the arts, but I don't want to live in a big city--I'm happy to drive for it.

But, I don't want to live in podunk either.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:05 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,520,804 times
I'd say Fort Collins. Nice, smaller town, but with the amenties of a large university. It's definitely a separate identity from Denver.

The single life there would be preferable I think to Colorado Springs due to its younger population. Things would be more active for singles closer to the university and downtown as opposed to the more family-oriented southern part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewhann View Post
Hi.

I posted in the CO Springs forum and have been looking hard at that area, but based on some of the things I've seen on the forum, I'm concerned that it might not be right for me.

I currently live in Richmond, VA and am looking for a change of pace (I am SO sick of HOT, HOT and humid summers where you drink rather than breathe the air). I'm 35, single, and in commercial lending.

I don't really want to live in the Denver area--I'm looking for a slower pace of life and wide open spaces.

BUT, I need to be able to support myself.

CO Springs seemed good, but I'm worried that so many folks say it isn't the best place for singles. Especially non-religious ones.

Where in CO might be the best spot for me?

Any advice or thoughts appreciated.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:34 PM

20,315 posts, read 37,826,095 times
Default Tewhann

IMO, you're best served by Colorado Springs (COS), Fort Collins (FC) or Denver, respectively.

COS is big enough to have critical mass, small enough to be human scale, for sure its not podunk. Nor Gotham.

COS has some arts, music and symphony, usually at centrally located Pikes Peak Center, where you park FREE on the streets after 6PM....try that in DC at the Kennedy Center ($15 to park) and people paid $20 to park last night at the Coliseum in Denver for a Bull Riding event. COS is only 60-75 minutes from downtown Denver venues for shows that don't come here, an excellent trade-off.

Lots of active people all over the state, we have plenty here too, and you can hike, rock climb and ride horses right here IN-TOWN at Garden of the Gods....ride a bike to GotG from nearby living areas....tons more hiking trails all over town and in the mountains, which we are smack up against... You can ski nearby at Monarch (I think that's the one).

At 35, you probably aren't into a 22-25 "just got my degree" crowd that people think of when as night life. We have a little of that, Denver has lots, FC has some. We have free jazz concerts often on Sundays, and swing music events, and Irish music, and lots to do here, and its easy to get to it all too. There are a lot of military men in town, serious, young, healthy, many are single.

Commercial activity is HIGH.... see today's article: http://www.gazette.com/display.php?id=1328651&secid=4 (broken link)

All this adds up to good reason for you to give COS consideration. If you can get out here for a visit, let one of the local realtors show you around. There are several on this list, I'm not one, but can recommend a couple if you ask me in a PM. Get on Southwest Airlines "ding" list....my sister in Baltimore is coming our here in April....$110 ROUND TRIP from BWI.

You're gonna love Colorado.

s/Mike from back east (VA, the DC metro area).

Old 01-14-2007, 01:42 PM

15 posts, read 39,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewhann View Post

Wow, you sound just like someone I know! Trust me, it sounds like you're going to fall in love with Colorado Springs just like I did. TONS of outdoor options, in the city itself and the mountains are closer than in any other of the Front Range cities.
The city is also very diverse-- spend any time on the West side or in Downtown and you won't feel like a fish out of water. Even if you find it hard to meet singles in COS, Denver, LoDo(Historic Lower Downtown, near Coors Field) are less than an hour away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or