Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 02:22 PM

197 posts, read 793,692 times

Advertisements

Could not find a hotel room anywhere in Pueblo for Labor Day weekend.
First time I will be staying in Co. City....Is there anything to see and do in the nearby area? Ghost towns? Waterfalls?

I've done the Pike, Manitou...Co Springs...Royal Gorge, River rafting, Garden of the Gods, etc...

I can't wait to get out of this heat of the south and into the mountains.......(and the ugliness of the big city)

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 12:09 PM

Wow....247 views and not 1 response.
Guess there really isn't anything to do in CoCity.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:55 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,933,970 times
Sorry...you talking about the actual Colorado City which is south of Pueblo or Old Colorado City which is actually in the Springs?

Old 08-27-2008, 03:44 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryMagic View Post
Wow....247 views and not 1 response.
Guess there really isn't anything to do in CoCity.
You're misreading that "read" statistic. That number is the total times ALL of your posts have been viewed, not just this one posting.

Can't help you with Colorado City, south of Pueblo. Best suggestion I have is google city name or county and look for chamber of commerce or convention & visitors bureau. If nothing pops up, use mapquest's "find nearby" feature.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:31 PM

17,874 posts, read 27,262,848 times
Well if the OP is talking about the Colorado City in Pueblo County, then it belongs in the Colorado general forum and not the Colorado Springs forum. It would maybe get a few more hits there.

I've dug up a few threads that have Colorado City info scattered throughout here, here, here, and here.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:37 AM

To be more specific; golf (27 hole course), fish (lake Beckwith can be trolled with electric motor boat and San Isabel lake can only be fished off the shore and you can rent paddle boats for it), hike (12350 ft. peak approx.) Greenhorn mountain from a trailhead (Bartlett trail) in Rye Park or numberous other trail heads (St. Charles, Natural Slides, etc.) as you ascend to San Isabel (name of a forest and the actual town), or go on up past the town and check out Bishop's Castle. You can continue on to Ophir Creek and drive most of the way up the mountain. You can continue on Hwy 165 and circle around to Gardner and Walsenburg or head straight over to Westcliffe and Silvercliffe.

Pueblo is just 26 miles to the north on I-25 (75 mph in good weather and non-road construction days) and Walsenburg is just 24 miles south. These places are good to have around for essential shopping and health care.

I work here and have family here, so I'm a bit partial. I live up a bit north in Pueblo County so I can be about an hour door-to-door to a very awesome little airport in Colorado Springs. From Colorado City, that drive would probably increase to an hour and a half.

There are a few things you can't do in Colorado City, like bowl or see a movie at the theatre or buy a sweater... stuff you'd have to go into town for.

There should be enough pics in the prior links to give you an idea of what Colorado City has to offer culture and weather-wise. It does snow here more than Pueblo, Canon City and Colorado Springs. But it doesn't usually see the snow that Denver does. I always wished it did. Once in a while, Rye will get pounded with 48+ inches of snowfall and that's pretty fun.

As far as I know, there's only about 5000+ people in the Valley now and that's probably for a reason. Jobs are somewhat scarce. We used to have Columbia House occupying the former DoRay Lamp Company Industrial building out here and people came from Pueblo and Walsenburg to occupy many of those jobs. They packed up and moved back east to Indiana. It's a bit more pricey for land or a home out here compared to other places in Southern Colorado, but probably a bargain compared to places up the Front Range. It's a good place to

A) retire, or
B) raise your kids
C) enjoy the outdoors and be off the beaten path just a bit

as we have great schools; Rye Elementary and Righ High School, then Colorado City has Craver Middle School. I've attended the Middle School and the the high school and they've served me well. Charles posted a fantastic link here that will show you the performance of schools in the state of Colorado and you'll see that these three schools are all in the Green or High range for academics. Not too shabby for public schools.

That's one guy's current perspective. Hopefully there'll be more to follow.

Last edited by McGowdog; 08-28-2008 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: Thanks to the Mods for moving the thread.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:06 PM

Thanks McGowdog,
I think I had already come back from Colorado when I posted that original post. I did end up going to Bishop Castle. What a neat place. I left Colorado on Labor Day....went to the midwest, and came back just in time to evacuate my home because of IKE. :-( (I'm only miles from the Gulf Coast/Galveston area)
10 days with no electricity - minimal cell phone - I was wishing the entire time I had just STAYED in Colorado....I'll take the cold/snow over heat/humidity/hurricanes and tornados any day.
Anywho...I've talked myself into taking another vacation back to Colorado (easy pursuation, lol) for Christmas and try my "sea legs" at snowboarding.
I am a snow-boarding virgin. LOL

Old 09-29-2008, 02:40 PM

Hope the folks in Galveston and beyond recover from that storm. With the political and financial storms of late, that's all they needed.

I met some people in Colorado City at Max's (restaurant) from Texas returning home. They were in a really nice fixed up 64' to 66' Chevy Truck. I told them to sit tight and let Ike come through. I hope they had a safe trip home.

Thanks for coming back on here and checkin' in on us.

Oh, if you're going snow-boarding, I suggest you go for about 3 or more days in a row. Spend the first day or two in lessons and you'll have a lot more fun that way.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:06 PM

3 posts, read 7,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
To be more specific; golf (27 hole course), fish (lake Beckwith can be trolled with electric motor boat and San Isabel lake can only be fished off the shore and you can rent paddle boats for it), hike (12350 ft. peak approx.) Greenhorn mountain from a trailhead (Bartlett trail) in Rye Park or numberous other trail heads (St. Charles, Natural Slides, etc.) as you ascend to San Isabel (name of a forest and the actual town), or go on up past the town and check out Bishop's Castle. You can continue on to Ophir Creek and drive most of the way up the mountain. You can continue on Hwy 165 and circle around to Gardner and Walsenburg or head straight over to Westcliffe and Silvercliffe.

Pueblo is just 26 miles to the north on I-25 (75 mph in good weather and non-road construction days) and Walsenburg is just 24 miles south. These places are good to have around for essential shopping and health care.

I work here and have family here, so I'm a bit partial. I live up a bit north in Pueblo County so I can be about an hour door-to-door to a very awesome little airport in Colorado Springs. From Colorado City, that drive would probably increase to an hour and a half.

There are a few things you can't do in Colorado City, like bowl or see a movie at the theatre or buy a sweater... stuff you'd have to go into town for.

There should be enough pics in the prior links to give you an idea of what Colorado City has to offer culture and weather-wise. It does snow here more than Pueblo, Canon City and Colorado Springs. But it doesn't usually see the snow that Denver does. I always wished it did. Once in a while, Rye will get pounded with 48+ inches of snowfall and that's pretty fun.

As far as I know, there's only about 5000+ people in the Valley now and that's probably for a reason. Jobs are somewhat scarce. We used to have Columbia House occupying the former DoRay Lamp Company Industrial building out here and people came from Pueblo and Walsenburg to occupy many of those jobs. They packed up and moved back east to Indiana. It's a bit more pricey for land or a home out here compared to other places in Southern Colorado, but probably a bargain compared to places up the Front Range. It's a good place to

A) retire, or
B) raise your kids
C) enjoy the outdoors and be off the beaten path just a bit

as we have great schools; Rye Elementary and Righ High School, then Colorado City has Craver Middle School. I've attended the Middle School and the the high school and they've served me well. Charles posted a fantastic link here that will show you the performance of schools in the state of Colorado and you'll see that these three schools are all in the Green or High range for academics. Not too shabby for public schools.

That's one guy's current perspective. Hopefully there'll be more to follow.

Thanks for all of the great info and pictures.

I have a couple of questions about the area.

First, you mentioned that it is a great place to raise kids. Are there extra curricular activities there (ie baseball leagues, hockey, etc)? Good schools are important, but I also think that things to do outside of school are important. Keeps them from getting into too much trouble - or at least keeps them within the normal range of youthful trouble.

Second, everything that I have looked at indicates that the humidity is low there. Is this correct? My husband has some health issues that make a dry climate essential, but I am a big fan of green and trees (which usually require water). We are in No. NM (Taos area) at the moment and the low humidity is great for him, but I would like to see a landscape more like Colorado City (or at least like the pics you've posted).

Third, is there a drug problem (most specifically Meth) in the area? We lived in No California for a while and hated the heavy tweeker population.

Finally, do you know of a good place we could stay if we came for a visit. We have two dogs we'd bring with us, so that would be a consideration. I've done some online searches, but so far have found lots of places to see and stay in Colorado City, AZ or Colorado City, TX, but not in actual Colorado.

Thanks and keep putting up pics!

Old 02-11-2009, 04:40 PM

Thx 4 checkin' them out!

At Rye HS, they have the standard sports you'll see in Colorado with maybe the exception of soccer and hockey, I think. Football, Basketball, track, Wrestling, Baseball and Golf are big here for the boys and the girls would trade Volleyball for football and basketball for Wrestling... or that would be called wrastling! Rodeo used to be big when I went to school there; don't know about now. There may be a ski club, IDK. I do know that some of the guys go to a bigger school in Pueblo to compete in swimming; maybe the same for Hockey and skiing.

Meth users are like cockroaches to me; I know they are here and there from what law enforcement says, but I never see them. I'd stay away from the railerTay arkPay if you know what I eanMay.

Thx 4 checkin' in and dm me for a local realtor who lives here and is fair and maybe you could see about rent of a home/pad of some sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado