Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 05:20 PM

10 posts, read 14,549 times

Advertisements

HI everyone,

I am trying to decide if I want to move to Colorado. I have been looking for jobs in Breckenridge, CO. That's where I want to live. I would like to talk to someone who has moved and got a job and it all ended happy. but I want to know how to do it all. I'm lost on where to start.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 05:36 PM

29 posts, read 80,381 times
Jennakrebs,
Here's how I moved to Colorado (the first time):

I had never been to CO at all. An acquaintance (a friend of my roommates in college) invited me to out and stay on his couch. So I packed all my stuff, stored it at my parent's house and bought a plane ticket to Denver. Packed my suitcase and hopped on the plane and moved to a state that I had never been to, where I practically knew no one, had no job or any leads and even no longer had a vehicle. It all worked out pretty well. I made great friends, landed some great jobs and fell in love with the state.

The point is, it doesn't have to be difficult. Figure out what you need and what you don't need, track down any leads and contacts you may have, and go for it. Breck being a resort town should be pretty easy to fit into. Find some people to bunk with or find a job that has employee housing. Landing a seasonal job shouldn't be too difficult, there's more to the mountain towns than the resorts (spa, food service, sporting equipment rental, property management/upkeep, etc.) The one key thing is that it's best to have some $ saved up.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:43 PM

3,602 posts, read 9,014,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennakrebs View Post
HI everyone,

I am trying to decide if I want to move to Colorado. I have been looking for jobs in Breckenridge, CO. That's where I want to live. I would like to talk to someone who has moved and got a job and it all ended happy. but I want to know how to do it all. I'm lost on where to start.

Thanks
Here's a link to Vail Resort's job page. Vail Resorts | Jobs.VailResorts.com

It may not be the job of your dreams, or it may, but you should be able to easily get something with them and move to Breck and go on from there. You can also check craigslist for the High Rockies for roommate situations if employee housing doesn't appeal to you.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:15 AM

404 posts, read 900,437 times
I found a job within two weeks of being in Breckenridge, it's not that hard. Living here is amazing, feel free to ask me any questions.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note

Old 09-18-2012, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the link, I'll check that out. I figured that I would have to get a job that wouldn't be my ideal job cause i'm in my senior year of college and graduate in May of 2013. but just something to get me out there. I've checked around on Craigslist, and applied at a few, but they want a credit check.. Idk if that's normal or not.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 AM

Oh really a bag of it... That's great. Does anyone know any low cost places to rent there? I've looked online and can't find anything but the seasonal rentals.

and I would bunk with someone out there, but it will be and my two kids and I'd rather just have a low rent place to begin with and then go from there. Any links out there for that??

Old 09-18-2012, 10:20 AM

404 posts, read 900,437 times
Craigslist and the summit daily are your best bets. You could try emailing people on vrbo too.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note

Old 09-18-2012, 11:24 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,582,976 times
Quote:
HI everyone,

Thanks
Now is the time as employers are starting to hire for winter and it's time to get your housing sorted.

I don't know what your experience and qualifications are, but keep in mind that Breckenridge is a small town in reality with few professional class jobs and the main industry is tourism.

You can start looking in the in Summit Daily News for jobs and also do an internet search for hotels and other service providers in Breck to inquire about jobs.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:36 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,582,976 times
Quote:
Oh really a bag of it... That's great. Does anyone know any low cost places to rent there? I've looked online and can't find anything but the seasonal rentals.

and I would bunk with someone out there, but it will be and my two kids and I'd rather just have a low rent place to begin with and then go from there. Any links out there for that??
What kind of price do you have in mind for "low rent"?

This area is not a low rent area but rather a higher priced resort area. To get suitable accommodations for you and 2 kids on a year lease in an entry level place, you are probably looking at around $1200-$1500 a month.

You compare that with what you are likely to get paid and the numbers don't add up.

Demographically this is not a normal place. Most people that work there as seasonal employees are younger single people and once people have kids or get married, they move on because it is so unaffordable for families. Of what families do they there, they are the few that landed a professional job or established a successful business, or more likely had family money that enabled them to live there.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:36 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,344,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Most people that work there as seasonal employees are younger single people and once people have kids or get married, they move on because it is so unaffordable for families.

That's the problem I'm having. I could afford to live there by myself, but with my GF and 3 kids between us, it's damn near impossible to find housing that's affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado