U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:33 AM

9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times

Advertisements

I've posted extensively in the past on living and working in ski towns. I'm sure if you do a search for Vail, Summit County or Aspen you will find many of my postings.

I did 8 ski seasons. If you have a specific question I can answer it.

I think the best ski town to work in with the best and most interesting opportunities is Vail, followed by Aspen and then followed by the Summit County resorts. If you want more isolated you can aim for Steamboat, Telluride or Crested Butte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 11:49 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,607,413 times
If you don't come up with lofty dreams and are willing to live in employee housing or with a bunch of roommates, work really hard during season and be really broke during the off season, come on up and play for a while.

Vail probably offers the most opportunities because of it's size, here's a link to their job site so you can read up on what they have to offer and what housing options are like. Vail Resorts | Jobs.VailResorts.com
Craigslist has more info on rentals craigslist: high rockies classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
and the paper will give you a sense of the local vibe Vail Colorado | VailDaily.com News
There are some summer opportunities, but you're a bit late in the season to catch the winter ones unless you are willing to move now.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:28 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
This topic comes up often, so I've merged several "I wannabe a ski bum" threads into one thread that contains really GREAT info for those who seek to enjoy that lifestyle, which is its very own form of the old "vow of poverty."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:32 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,197,447 times
As others have stated, look into Vail Resorts (which includes not only Vail, but Breckenridge, Keystone, A-basin, and one other that I can't remember). My husband worked for Breckenridge as a lifty for a few seasons and he loved that job! We lived in Fairplay, over Hoosier Pass, which was a lot less money that Summit Co. (and also where I working). Of course, it was a much sleepier pace, and if you are single, I wouldn't want to do it. Vail Resorts did offer seasonal shared housing for employees, so worth looking into. There's also plenty of other 20-somethings that will be looking for roommates during the ski season. My advice would be to start searching for jobs in late summer/early fall. The off season is usually October-early November and they will begin their hiring during this time for ski season. Have your application, resume, etc. ready to go and call their HR department to find out exact times they will start looking.

Of course, there are plenty of other jobs in ski towns that would afford you the ski bum lifestyle, but they will not have housing and may or may not offer season passes (the real reason you want to live/work in a ski town).

Old 01-31-2012, 03:44 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times
I think if you go and your main reason is just to ski, then whoever you sign up with to work, I would look into whether a ski pass is on offer, as that will save you a lot of money and hassle. I know on the Vail Resorts ski pass, people really enjoyed it because you could ski Vail, Beaver Creek, Bachelor Gulch, Arrowhead and then over in Summit County you could ski Keystone, Copper and Breck. My employer offered a ski pass or you could take $500 and I took the money.

The second thing to consider is your housing. If you are a 20 something who only plans to stay a season or two, plus just about everything you own can fit in your car, then you probably don't want to invest a lot into getting your own place with furniture. So you'll probably want to see what is on offer with employee housing.

The advantage of employee housing is that it is almost always furnished, the deposit is usually cheap and rent is deducted from your paycheck. In my case because I left in the off seasons, I could sign up for the season, move out at the end of season and come back and resign for the next season. If I had to do it again, I'd get a permanent small storage unit.

The third thing to look at for seasonal ski jobs is whether the employer offers an end of season bonus for the end of ski season. Work starts to drop off after the first week of April quickly and you'll be done with work most likely by mid April, so an end of season bonus can help see you through the off season.

I'd also recommend to anyone that you seek a job where you can earn tips, such as doorman, airport shuttle driver, waitstaff, etc. If you provide a good service to people, you can clear some decent money on good days.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:48 AM

3 posts, read 11,758 times
Default ski bumming in Colorado

I know it's early to post this thread, but I wanted to get a jump start on finding some good ideas about where to stay, work,and what not. I'm considering moving to Colorado for the 2012 ski season to ski bum. I was just hoping to get some good ideas on, where to stay, where to work, and how to find someone to lodge with. I know NOTHING about how all of this works, and this will be my first time doing something like this. I went to Breck in January and loved it! It just seemed SO expensive. I was thinking there has to be somewhere a little more economical that's just as fun and easy to ski. Any ideas??

Old 03-20-2012, 09:54 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,124,370 times
They are all the same......prepapre to travel daily to the hill from a fair distance.

Take a look at Crested Butte. Old town/new town...the 'expensive stuff' is up on the hill, and the old town has a more relaxed feel....but is still pricey.

And you will run into REAL skiers. Sort of like the old Stowe.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:24 AM

841 posts, read 1,249,072 times
I'd consider looking at the long-range forecasts for snow to see if next season is looking to be better than the current one. Jobs may not be as plentiful when the snow sucks. Less tourists=less money=less jobs for ski bums.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:28 AM

404 posts, read 703,021 times
I'm currently "ski bumming" in breck. It's really not that expensive, you just have to look a little harder to find the cheaper places. That being said, living in silverthorne or Dillon would be cheaper, but IMO not quite as fun or convenient. Overall though I'd say summit county is a great place to start ski bumming, there's several mountains all in one area with plenty of employment opportunities to get you started off in this lifestyle. One important piece of advice: start looking for housing early, a early

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note using tapatalk.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:29 AM

404 posts, read 703,021 times
As early as possible, like now

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note using .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or