U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2007, 11:28 AM

10,874 posts, read 41,199,965 times

Advertisements

I'd point out that any and all of the ski resort areas and towns will be crowded on holidays. You simply will not escape the influx of absentee owners, tourists, etc. All of the areas are essentially booked up at these busy times.

While the Dillon/Frisco area is "close" to Keystone, Breck, Copper ... it's still a commute to the slopes, and more than "15 minutes" away. Even if you're on the local bus system, it takes awhile to get to the slopes.

I think you might yet want to take a look at Vail. It's possible to get a shared living situation and truly be within minutes of walking distance to the lifts, or find housing in East or West Vail and have a minimal bus ride to the town's transport center, which is a short walk up to the main base lifts.

You'll find that the "ski bum" life is pretty much a close to the vest financial experience wherever you go. The places that seem "less expensive" to live in also have a lower income associated with them; ie, if you work for tips in Silverthorne, you'll make less money than working for tips in Vail ... and you'll wind up with about the same net financial situation when all is said and done after rent and your other expenses. It's mostly a bare-bones economic survival situation either way, you won't get rich "ski-bumming" in either ski area location.

IMO, it will come down to which area appeals to you for the skiing it offers, and for the job(s) opportunities that meet your needs. If you can get a full-time job and housing in a ski town/resort that lets you do the skiing you want, than that's the place to be.

Don't do the Leadville commute to a ski resort area. You're looking at a lot of your time spent commuting to work, and minimal time will be left available to ski unless you have full days off and want to do the big commute that day to go skiing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 11:53 AM

1,872 posts, read 5,655,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit
While the Dillon/Frisco area is "close" to Keystone, Breck, Copper ... it's still a commute to the slopes, and more than "15 minutes" away.
Yeah, you know, 'cos I live/work/ski/bike/hike here, but don't know how long it takes to drive around here.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:04 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,824,943 times
I don't know your fianancial situation but if your finances permit it, Telluride is by far the best choice.

My second choice would be Crested Butte.

My third choice would be Steamboat Springs.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
I don't know your fianancial situation but if your finances permit it, Telluride is by far the best choice.

My second choice would be Crested Butte.

My third choice would be Steamboat Springs.
All three choices definitely fit the ideal ski town that you imagine from ski movies. In Summit County, only Breck really fits that image.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:40 PM

2,534 posts, read 5,822,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
All three choices definitely fit the ideal ski town that you imagine from ski movies. In Summit County, only Breck really fits that image.
And only Breck meets the request for being within 30 minutes of other ski areas, as the OP asked. Telluride, Steamboat, Crested Butte are fairly remote, and isolated.

Last edited by suzco; 11-25-2007 at 12:51 PM..

Old 11-25-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
And only Breck meets the request for being within 30 minutes of other ski areas, as the OP asked.
Not sure what you mean, but from Dillon/Silverthorne, it's about 10-15 minutes to Keystone, 15-20 minutes to A-Basin, 15 minutes to Loveland, 15 minutes to Copper, and about 20-25 minutes to Breck. From Frisco, it's a bit closer to Breck and Copper, but a little farther to Keystone/A-Basin/Loveland (still easily within 30 minutes). From our place in north Silverthorne (past the Target) to Lionshead in Vail is almost exactly 30 minutes.

In fact, it's from Breck itself that the other ski areas are going to be farther away, since Breck is somewhat set back down CO-9.

EDIT: Maybe you meant that of Breck, Telluride, Steamboat, and CB, Breck would be the only one close to other resorts -- agreed! Maybe I misunderstood! :-)

Old 11-25-2007, 12:55 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,841,779 times
Wink Now that you remind me

Once upon a time I worked as a lift operator at A-Basin. Lived in a small rental house (now gone) in Silverthorne with three roommates. It was a lot of fun at the time; the next season I moved up to employee housing at Keystone. One result, a shorter commute; I still remember standing at the side of the street in Silverthorne in the very early morning, the temperature at well minus something, waiting for the shuttle bus.

Probably not now, but I loved it all then. The great thing about working on the mountain was that I was on it every day, save perhaps the day off I simply didn't wish to go. With a free season pass I could ski all I wished on days off, sans the long tiring commute most other skiers make from Denver, etc. On work days I could ski a little during lunch but often skiing amounted to but the last run down from the top at the end of the day. But the thing was I was on skis, if only briefly, almost every day; the result is my skiing ability increased exponentially. It really makes a difference.

If you wish to ski it is probably best to fully embrace it. Housing and other details may prove difficult, and if you only ski once in awhile when able you may wonder why you ever bothered. But if you make skiing Numero Uno with all else a distant second, including your career, then it will surely be a winter you will remember with fondness.

Summit County would be a good choice, with many great ski areas in close proximity. Vail is more or less by itself, although Beaver Creek nearby. Like Vail, Summit County is a major ski destination. So lots of amenities, but you might find a little pocket somewhere that gives you that small town feel.

Or you might try elsewhere.

Crested Butte is in the middle of nowhere and the town itself quaint, Victorian and small. Like most any other ski area you may choose, affordable housing will be your biggest challenge.

Durango Mountain Resort (or as it was called, and I like: Purgatory) is fairly remote as well, but still a relatively close drive to Durango. Close enough in fact that you could feasibly commute from Durango, even if this not an ideal option. Basically no matter the area, try and live as close to the slopes as possible (ie: walk out the door and put your skis on. Ideally). It is a lovely mountain and probably expanded since I was last there.

If you want to go extreme choose Silverton Mountain Ski Area, located just a few miles outside of Silverton, CO. For remote, small, unique and most everything else (save big and congested) Silverton is your place. But beware most of the skiing at the mountain tends towards black diamond and beyond. However, if you like that and survive you'll probably be an amazing skier at the end of the season.

Should you be graduating come Spring, come to Colorado then. If your plans otherwise, like mid-season, January or something, expect a lot of challenges. But during the summer you can often get on a trail crew or something and thus begin working for a ski area early. This gives you an in and saves a lot of hassles later. For one thing, no matter if you are working or not, you'll be in the best position to secure the best housing. Early Fall is also a good time to arrange this, Winter bad, but Spring probably best. For one thing, many employees that lasted the season leave accommodations and the area at the end of the season; lots of vacancies.

Another reason to migrate come Spring is exploration. Try as you might you can only gain an approximate idea of any area from a distance. Nothing like having your feet on the ground to really know what you feel and like or not. In this regard probably the best bet to do some serious traveling and visit any area you might remotely wish to call home.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, you have a great idea. To warm days and powder . . .

Old 11-25-2007, 12:56 PM

2,534 posts, read 5,822,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Not sure what you mean, but from Dillon/Silverthorne, it's about 10-15 minutes to Keystone, 15-20 minutes to A-Basin, 15 minutes to Loveland, 15 minutes to Copper, and about 20-25 minutes to Breck. From Frisco, it's a bit closer to Breck and Copper, but a little farther to Keystone/A-Basin/Loveland (still easily within 30 minutes). From our place in north Silverthorne (past the Target) to Lionshead in Vail is almost exactly 30 minutes.

In fact, it's from Breck itself that the other ski areas are going to be farther away, since Breck is somewhat set back down CO-9.

EDIT: Maybe you meant that of Breck, Telluride, Steamboat, and CB, Breck would be the only one close to other resorts -- agreed! Maybe I misunderstood! :-)
Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I meant.
My misunderstanding then! You are absolutely correct.

Idunn, good post.

Enough jabbering from me for now. I'm off to ski.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:51 PM

3 posts, read 15,023 times
to start with i live in steamboat.

plus:
summit county (frisco, dillon, silverthorn, breck) has the density of ski areas you desires. it's an hour or so to denver. has plenty of things to do, restaraunts, shopping, out door etc.

negs:
it does sit at a high elevation so winters are long & cold. maybe you want that. summit county has a month longer winter on either end then steamboat does (7 vrs 5 months). it is an hour from denver so tons of tourist wanks all the time. the slopes are ever crowded

i looked around and like steamboat because of the somewhat remoteness but solid community we have. aprox 15,000 people with tons of amenities. it's a destination resort vrs summit county denver day use resorts. 1/2 the crowds but it cost more (but not an issue if you work for the mountain). steamboat, copper & winter park owned by the same company plus as an ski area employee you get comps to all the other ski area (called the real deal). it's 1.5 hr to summit county. steamboat has 4 solid seasons with a nice long summer. steamboat also has 2 quality hot springs (1 in town the other 20 minutes in the woods)
steamboathotsprings.org strawberryhotsprings.com
after a long day on the mounatin that sealed the deal for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or