U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 15,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
I don't know your fianancial situation but if your finances permit it, Telluride is by far the best choice.

My second choice would be Crested Butte.

My third choice would be Steamboat Springs.
CB & Tride are places not to be missed if just for a weekend trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 02:37 AM

22 posts, read 191,506 times
Thanks a lot guys, you've all been very helpful answering my questions. Right now, I'm kind of torn between Summit County and a more secluded place. I Like Summit County just because of the central location and easy access to a lot of ski resorts. On the other hand, crowds are something I want to avoid if at all possible, so a more secluded place like Crested Butte might be the better choice. Having grown up in a resort town myself, I know quite well how the hordes of weekenders from the city can clog up the lift lines and ski trails. That's just something you have to deal with I guess when you live in a mountain paradise. I definitely would try to work on weekends and nights if possible to maximize my time on the slopes for uncrowded days.

I think that one main difference between Colorado and where I'm from is that in Colorado, most of the weekenders are from Denver, so they at least have some clue how to ski and drive in the snow. In Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear, the weekenders we get are from Los Angeles and San Diego; People who haven't the slightest clue how to ski, drive, where to go sledding, etc. They are fascinated enough to pull over and stop at the first sign of snow and play in the dirty 1 inch of snow that has been plowed into the turnouts on highway 18 when they could just wait twenty minutes to get to the higher elevations and have actual snow to play in. Also, I don't know if they don't read english or what, but the vast majority of them totally ignore the "slower traffic use turnouts" signs that are posted every quarter mile. Those are the types of people I want to try to avoid if at all possible. Anyways, sorry about ranting there.

I am not graduating until may 2009, so I have more than a year to decide where to go; I just like to plan ahead so I can get the best information possible. I'm going to try to take a trip out there in the summer to hopefully check out all of these communities and and then a ski trip the following winter so I can decide which mountain I like best. Thanks again for all your help so far.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:25 PM

38 posts, read 90,178 times
Just my .02--I would seriously look at Durango. Beautiful area and not as touristy as some of the others. Also Pagosa has always been able to maintain the small town feel. (No Walmart and 1 stoplight).

Old 02-12-2008, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,527 times
Default Suggestions for the Thirty-Something Ski Bum life

Hi There,

I love your idea!!! I did the same thing when I was 35...packed up my car, my gear (let my cats live with a friend for a few months), and drove from Maine to Colorado. I arrived at the end of February and spent the next 6 weeks visiting different ski towns in Colorado, Utah and New Mexico. I never had a problem finding a low wage ski area job. It got me a pass and often food. I usually spent a few nights in a motel and just started talking to people. Inevitably I found a room to sublet, or someone whose roommate was gone for a few days. It seemed like with the right attitude and friendliness, it was really easy. (The dog piece might make it a bit harder though...can he stay with friends for a couple of months?)

I knew I'd found the right town as soon as I got there. Even though a completed my planned ski town circuit, I ended up back in one of the first places I stopped and now I've lived here for 14 years. Crested Butte is a great place. Right now since housing is difficult, jobs are plentiful. Having some cash already puts you light years ahead of the base ski bum crowd. CB is really different than most of the other ski towns in terms of community and feeling. (At least that's my unbiased opinion!)

I now have a house and a family and I teach people how to live their dream by working for themselves at home and not trading time for money. I STILL get to ski during the week!! Feel free to contact me if you'd like. I have multiple streams of income, which I sincerely believe is the key to success in a ski town. I only work for myself and will be happy to share with you how to do that in a resort economy.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:13 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,216,716 times
I would not settle in your position; I would go to Telluride, hands down. It is fabulous and if it is the ski town life you want, the people are great, the atmosphere, everything. I think it is way better than any other place. It is a bit pricy, but many people live in nearby areas, plus real estate is down there now.

You get one chance to pick a great spot and this one can't be beat.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,527 times
Default Telluride has changed too much

I disagree. Crested Butte is a much more enjoyable community these days. It's like Telluride was about 10 years ago...but then again..that's just my opinion.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:12 PM

835 posts, read 2,569,236 times
newlysgl, i am thinkin about doin the same thing i am ADDICTED to snowboarding (was at the slope 12hrs yesterday!!!) but am not sure yet as i am in college and am gonna wait and see where the end of this semester takes me so i too may become a bum out there lol, i mean i really dont like where i am at now anyway

Old 03-22-2008, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,795 times
Default Thinking of moving to CO to be a ski bum next winter...need some advice

I am planning on applying to grad school in the fall, so I plan on quitting my current job and moving to CO to be a ski bum for the winter before I start grad school.

I need some advice on how to make this happen. I guess the first question is where is the best place to be a ski bum? I've done a little research and it seems like Crested Butte, Telluride and Steamboat are pretty good options, but I'm open to other suggestions. My main criteria are:
1.) vibrant ski town - authentic town w/ active social scene, good restaurants, bars, etc.
2.) proximity to town and mountain - I'd like to live within walking distance of town, and within a few miles of mountain
3.) ample housing options - don't mind living w/ other roommates or in cramped living conditions as long as it's close to town
4.) lots of job opportunities - I'm pretty much open to anything as long as I have most days free for skiing
5.) public transportation - I currently don't have a car so would prefer not to buy one if I don't have to (CB has a free bus from town to mt. so this is a definite plus)

Another important question is when would I have to move out there? I was thinking end of November would give me enough time to find housing and a job, but let me know if this is too early or late. Also, what is the best way to find housing and a job? I plan on having a decent amount of money saved up by the time I move out there, so money shouldn't be a factor.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:43 AM

1,872 posts, read 5,656,844 times
Ask people who actually do/have done that and know what they're talking about over here.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:11 PM

30 posts, read 120,915 times
I Haven't ever been a ski bum but getting here in November buy that time there will be no long term accommodations left.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or