U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2007, 11:00 PM

5 posts, read 15,679 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Austin Texas and have been here for most of my life. I'm about to be done with school and out of the house... I'm really keeping my options open as to where I will go and what I will do, so any advice is welcome. I'm considering moving to Denver to be a ski bum for a year or so, and just wanted to get some advice on the city. Besides the slopes and weather, what can you tell me about the city? What are some things that you love about Denver, and what makes you wish you didn't live there? I'm a social person so how is the night life? How are the people? Again, any comments are welcome...
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 06:13 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,148,217 times
Well, there may be snow and cold temps in Denver right now, but no ski slopes.
To be a proper ski bum you have to live up in the mountains where the resorts are. Lift tickets are not as cheap as they used to be but the ski bum life still exists. Living in a mountain town can be a fun lifestyle for young people but obviously you have to have a job and find a place to live, not the easiest but it can be accomplished (not without roommates, though).
Denver has a great live music scene and there are some fun clubs as well.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:39 AM

10,676 posts, read 28,486,584 times
Maybe there is a new breed of ski bum...a working one?

I know several people who work irregular days Thursday-Monday, just so they can go up & ski Tuesdays & Wednesdays (less crowded) every week during the ski season. Yes, they make a point to get season passes, making it more affordable.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:13 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,148,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Maybe there is a new breed of ski bum...a working one?

I know several people who work irregular days Thursday-Monday, just so they can go up & ski Tuesdays & Wednesdays (less crowded) every week during the ski season. Yes, they make a point to get season passes, making it more affordable.
Oh yeah,I knew lots of people like that, though that's not quite the same as living up there. Yes, season passes are the way to go, esp if you have coupons for them. I've even heard of them being sold on ebay.
Of course, the real ski/snowboard bums go down to Chile or Argentina for the summer.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:37 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,511,378 times
Default season passes

Season passes are actually pretty reasonably priced for Front Range Residents.

The two main ones are:

* The Copper Mountain/Winter Park pass aka the Superpass. Costs about $279.00. If you want only Copper or Winter park it's a little cheaper.

* The Colorado pass: For Vail and Beaver Creek (10 days only) plus unlimited at Breckenridge, Keystone, and Arapahoe Basin ($349 last time I checked).

Another option is just to buy 4-packs. A 4-pack for a particular resort typically runs between about $75-$95. Some people by a 4-pack for several different resorts and turn that into a season pass. This is a good deal because during the regular season a 1-day lift ticket is pushing about $80 bucks.

If you happen to be a student of some type, you can get some great deals. Wells Fargo has a deal with Copper/WP that gives you 2-for-1 passes, making that one really cheap. They seem satisfied even if you're only taking one class or something, you just have flash a current student ID or get a letter from your college registrar.

Eldora is a small resort just west of Boulder. They have a *great* student deal for only $99.00 unlimited. Again, as long as you have a student ID from somewhere, they don't care. Eldora is small, but they are by far the closest to the Front Range.

If you take advantage of the deals, particularly if you're a student (or could make yourself one), skiing and snowboarding can be a very affordable sport. In any case, you'll spend way more money in driving and gas than you ever will on your pass if you go a lot.

You should know that traffic is *very* bad on the weekends, particularly coming back. You either need to quit after lunch or hang around very long after closing time. Going on weekdays is a dream though. If you don't have to worry about traffic, you can actually speed from Copper to Golden in a little over an hour

If you do want to be a ski bum but live in the front range, your best bet might to live right near I-70 on the west side of the metro area: Golden, Morisson, or west Lakewood. That way you can escape to the mountains and not have to drive through city traffic on your way to the mountains, just worry about mountain traffic.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:20 PM

10,868 posts, read 41,128,193 times
If you're really into the "ski bum" lifestyle, then nothing but living in the ski resort areas is going to do the trick.

Move to Aspen, Vail, SteamboatSprings, etc ... whichever suits your fancy.

Those towns are desperate for people to work, but the wage scale will force you to hold several jobs to survive. It may seem worth it, however, when you're the first to hit the powder in the AM for days on end ....

You'll work your butt off, and have to have lots of roomates ... but you'll have the most chances to ski. Ideally, one of your jobs will have a lift ticket as part of the compensation and maybe access to "in-the-trade" discounts for equipment and clothing.

The party opportunities will be virtually endless between other folks in the same situation and all those tourists who come to vacation and endlessly party while on their ski vacation.

I've known some folks who put off growing up for 40+ years in those towns. Heading south is part of the lifestyle .....

Old 02-15-2007, 11:00 AM

41 posts, read 196,117 times
Default CO prospective ski bum - help please!

I am considering making the move out west.. I have never visited CO but have always wanted to.

I am currently in CT but my situation has recently changed and I am looking for a change of scene and to have some fun, see and do things I have always wanted to... I'm newly single , 30-ish, no kids - just me and the dog I have a car.

I was thinking that I would head for a ski town (Vail? Breck???) at least initially, get any kind of job (bartending, whatever) to pay the rent, hopefully find a room to rent or a small apartment.. does not have to be fancy, just has to allow a dog and be somewhat affordable. I am not expecting to make a lot of money, just enough to cover my rent and basic living expenses.. do some snowboarding, work out what my longer range plans are. If I like it maybe I'll stay. who knows.

Anyway.. I would like some suggestions:
- which resorts might offer the best opportunities (social, work)
- where you'd live if you were working in that resort (I know most people who work in ski resorts don't actully live in the resort but in neighboring towns..).
- costs of rent etc
- job prospects
- what happens in spring/summer? does everyone leave? is there still work to be had in summer?
- where to look for jobs/housing? (websites? newspapers?)
- When do most resorts close winter season (April? May?)
- Am I stupid to be considering going now - halfway thru the season?

All info appreciated.. I may add to this as I think about it more.. If I do this I will be going SOON! like in a couple weeks.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:47 AM

19 posts, read 90,637 times
I live in Gunnison in '94. Great place. 20 min to Crested Butte. Great ski town. Small college in Gunni....plenty of younger people. I have heard that it has boomed in the recent years....

Great everything.... rivers to fish, skiing, views, mountain biking.

I would not look anywhere else.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:29 PM

10,868 posts, read 41,128,193 times
There's a shortage of available workers in all of the ski resort towns.

Get a copy of the Vail Trail or Aspen Times and you'll see that many seasonal jobs are available.

Affordable housing will be a problem. At typical hourly wages and tips for the area, you'll be living in shared housing in the area or living quite some distance away (which means a lot of commuting time and cost). You'll generally need to work two, maybe three, jobs to make ends meet.

IMO, seek a job that has "ski pass" privileges as part of the compensation package.

Once there, however, you will be able to check out the longer term jobs market and may be able to find better employment/housing opportunities so that you can stay there and enjoy the area.

Construction trades pay well and are in high demand during the off-season good weather months. Hospitality management has lots of opportunity for year-round employment.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:45 PM

8 posts, read 37,945 times
Look into the Dillon Friso area, u can still ski Breck, Abasin, Copper, Keystone and make a living.. Even if u had a job Keystone has night skiing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or