Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 02:29 PM

228 posts, read 592,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
First, let me state that I'm not a ski bum nor do I have a desire to be one at this time in my life. However, my perspective on the ski-bum is quite different than yours. I see the ski-bum as a lucky SOB, someone who had the smarts NOT to get caught up in the so-called real world and suffer 40 yrs holding down a so-called real job. Although I live in the so-called real world and work a so-called real job, it's not an experience that I would highly recommend to anyone having a spirit of adventure in their heart. IMO, anyone having the smarts to be a ski-bum without stepping on anyone elses toes, is truly blessed! Chances are they are neither a right-wing wacko nor a left wing nutcase. They're out on the slopes ENJOYING life while the right-wing wackos and the left wing nutcases battle it out in in the so-called real world. Since no one ever wins this epic battle, everyone on both sides gets to have the experience of being losers many times over.
Look, I love to ski as much as anyone else. But for me, it's a part-time hobby, an escape- it's not a way of life. I think that's a difference in perspective. To me, life's about a greater purpose, about finding the greatest level I can reach, through hard work and self-sacrifice. If I wasn't striving to achieve my greatest self, I wouldn't be happy. It's not about being in the "rat race", it's about having a purpose, goals, and reaching them. It's the human condition. I think if you don't have that, it'd be hard to find a reason to keep going. I'm not "suffering" in my so-called real job at all. My profession is a rewarding one, and I love it. Is it stressful? Yes, sometimes, but it's far more gratifying to me and gives me a much greater sense of purpose than I'd have if all I did was wake up and ski every day. The fact that I do have a meaningful career and something to actually escape from makes skiing and being outdoors when I can that much more rewarding.

When your whole life's a party, when do you stop and ask yourself just exactly what it is you're celebrating? For me, it's about balance. Hard work makes hard play more enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 02:58 PM

93 posts, read 258,872 times
[quote=zman0457;4770391]..................and if you keep it up, you'll end up in the Promised Land. No "common good" or "follow your heart" types there I'm sure, lol!

I'm sure the moderator will step in, but the right wing view of somehow having a lock on productivity and virtue is hilarious. Humans come in a variety of calibrations for a reason, and the world will be a better place when this is realized AND tolerated.

There's a huge gulf between being a pure pragmatist and a pure aesthete and that's where most people reside.

.................and as far as being a ski bum, if you can pull it off with a smile on your face, and you're not hurting others, more power to you. I sold my business 2 years ago, and am back to playing music full time. I feel way more vital now.

Many times pragmatists don't get inspiration, and many creatively or adventurously inspired types don't get responsibility.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:08 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
borborygmi wrote:
To me, life's about a greater purpose, about finding the greatest level I can reach, through hard work and self-sacrifice. If I wasn't striving to achieve my greatest self, I wouldn't be happy.
Perhaps, just perhaps, to those we are referring to as ski-bums, skiing IS their greater purpose. Not everyone puts hard work and sacrifice on a pedestal like you do. Having to word hard and sacrifice is seen as a failure in the eyes of some people. Everyone has a different value system. To each his own. I do my best to live my own values without judging ( but fall waaaaay short ) the value system of others.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:19 PM

Yes, skiing does take a learned skill, a certain discipline, and an effort. Being a skier in Telluride, is like being a composer in Vienna, or an investment banker on Wall St.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:25 PM

I imagine that being a skier in Telluride is ALOT more fun than being an investment banker on Wall St.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:36 PM

I used to work for New York Life in the Wall St office in the 80's. Those investment Bankers you'd see at the watering holes after the business day seemed like they were really enjoying life. It was about winning to them, and most of them were.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:46 PM

This is a great example of my argument about not judging the value system of others. According to my value system, playing the wall street game would be sheer hell, but for many of those who play that game...they love it. Same thing goes for being a ski-bum. To someone who values hard work and sacrifice, experiencing the pure enjoyment of skiing as a lifestyle choice might seem unfulling and lacking purpose. To those who have chosen that lifestyle, it's pure heaven.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 14,918 times
Living the mountain life is proven to be healthy for both your physical and mental health. Studies having to do with longevity rates prove that. Some people want to achieve academic goals, others financial goals and for some physical goals. The people I know raising kids in the mountains all seem to have very level headed, smart children. I am a hard working professional with lots of life exoerience so don't think for once I am a ski bum type. Personally I think the city is full of pollution, dirt, filth, and people so disconnected with the real world that they have evolved into something I would rather not care to ba a part of. Remember when Thoreau said "city life is millions of people being lonely together". I firmly believe in that. Remember we are all here on borrowed time so make the most of it.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:35 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,012,028 times
When your whole life's a party, when do you stop and ask yourself just exactly what it is you're celebrating? For me, it's about balance. Hard work makes hard play more enjoyable.[/quote]

what's wrong with celebrating life everyday? Or celebrating that you are alive, healthy, and lucky enough to ski? i think redneck had some good things to say, as usual, its about doing what each of us want to do without judging others.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:32 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,554,390 times
I envy you. I'd love to live in the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado